Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Campdraft question:

After reading the numerous threads on the Campdraft, I've decided to purchase one. I've gotten completely confused though on if they run small, large or dead on. I've just read conflicting reports on how the sizing on the CD runs. I wear 7 1/4. I have two Fed IV that I bought a year or two ago that are a size up (59). I was told when I called HD then, that I would want that size (yeah, I was confused then too). They were big out of the box, but the size settled down nicely and they are very comfortable now.
Do I order a size up with the CD like I did with the Feds, or do I order my actual size (58)?

Thanks

James71

A-List Customer
All of my Akubra's are 59 with only the fed IV being a 60. It's taking the fed a long time to come down to size. Ive got 2 CDs and they are both 59. One is slightly bigger than the other..

Dennis Holt

New in Town
I recently got a cattleman from everything australian in my actual size of 58. At first it was a bit loose but after a couple of sweaty Alabama summer days it has tightened up to about where I would like it to stay. Can someone tell me if it will shrink further and if so is there anyway to prevent it. I saw a video on youtube where a guy was giving sort of a tutorial on akubra hat care and it was recommended that if ya didn't want your hat band to shrink anymore you could put leather conditioner on the inside of it. Anyone got any experience with this? Thanks.

I recently got a cattleman from everything australian in my actual size of 58. At first it was a bit loose but after a couple of sweaty Alabama summer days it has tightened up to about where I would like it to stay. Can someone tell me if it will shrink further and if so is there anyway to prevent it. I saw a video on youtube where a guy was giving sort of a tutorial on akubra hat care and it was recommended that if ya didn't want your hat band to shrink anymore you could put leather conditioner on the inside of it. Anyone got any experience with this? Thanks.

Hi Dennis,

I couldn't say whether it will shrink further if you don't take any preventative measures. But there are ways to help help it keep its size.

One simple way, especially if you will be leaving the hat in its box for long periods, is to get a Hat Jack, and keep the hat jack in the hat while it is in storage.

A Hat Jack is kind of like a shoe tree for hats. It helps keep tension in the band, like it is being worn. You can ask for them at any hat store.

Other than that, it is good to keep it in a dry place with low humidity. And if it ever gets wet, keep it away from any sources of heat while it is drying, like radiators or windows.

Does this help?

Brandon
DelMonico Hatter

T Rick

Practically Family
Campdraft question:

After reading the numerous threads on the Campdraft, I've decided to purchase one. I've gotten completely confused though on if they run small, large or dead on. I've just read conflicting reports on how the sizing on the CD runs. I wear 7 1/4. I have two Fed IV that I bought a year or two ago that are a size up (59). I was told when I called HD then, that I would want that size (yeah, I was confused then too). They were big out of the box, but the size settled down nicely and they are very comfortable now.
Do I order a size up with the CD like I did with the Feds, or do I order my actual size (58)?

Thanks
I for one would stick with your regular size. I am a 7 1/8 (57) and bought two Camp Drafts in 57 (Bluegrass Green and Heritage in Silver Belly). Both were a bit loose as new, and came down to a great fit. The Fed IV is the only one I have seen it advised by the retailer (Hats Direct) to order a size up, as they seem to run small. I plan to order that one in a 58 when I order, all other Akubras (including my recent Capricorn) will be 57's. HTH.

superfuzzymomma

New in Town
How would you proceed with a 1930's Stetson Fedora?

Hello all,
Its certainly a pleasure to be here!
Ok, here goes, I'm in a quandary. I just got an old Stetson felt off of Ebay. How would you
folks treat this hat? I mean, I don't mind wearing it as is....no liner, a little dirty, sweatband just beginning to separate, bowever -so- slightly loose. I love the fact it looks like its seen most of its eighty years. But wait, is she deserving of some restorative work at Optimo? At least, say, a cleaning? Is this just a waste of time first post citing personal opinion?
I would appreciate your kind insights.

Glenn

frussell

One Too Many
Photos would help with the decision, but I wouldn't shy away from sending it to Optimo. If you're going to wear it, and not concerned about its collectibility, especially the sweatband markings, have them clean it and replace the sweat with one of their great leather sweatbands. I've done the same to at least 4 vintage hats, and they did a great job. Then again, I buy hats to wear, not because of the specific time frame or model name. If the sweat is salvageable, you might be able to get someone to sew or patch it. Good luck, Frank

superfuzzymomma

New in Town
I can say the sweatband logo is "John B. Stetson Company - Select Quality" This logo is also embossed on the inside top of crown
(no liner). On the other side of the sweatband is the logo of the shop "Mellons - Charlotte". I'll get pics up as soon as possible.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
To bash or not to bash?

Ok so I just picked up a few lids this weekend.

One was a Stylepark Templeform, a Mallory with a very slight center dent, and the other was a brand new, still in the box, un-bashed Dobbs Hanover Square.

Now since the Mallory can easily be smoothed out and the Dobbs is un-bashed... I'm wondering what folks lean toward when they come across very nice lids that aren't bashed.

Are they worth more un-bashed?

My intent was to give these strays a home regardless, but it just so happens they all fit... It's a shame not to give a hat the much needed attention it deserves...?

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
If you want to wear the hat unbashed that's what you want. I would think about what type of bash would make the hat stand out and then bash to show of the hats best profile.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Since I don't live in OZ, I don't "bash" my hats. I would would however not hesitate to give most any open crown hat I would aquire the crease I want it to have. :)
I did try giving some of my hats a "bash" several years ago, but the Louisville slugger I used didi not give me much control so I went back to creasing my hats :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner