Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The problem I have the the taper on the straw is that it gives your face a Long oval shape. With the beard it's not the best. The Akubra's taper gives you a more balanced shape when wearing it.

job

One Too Many
You look like a big guy and from the pics the hats appear small. I feel you can look good in big full size hats. Lots of brim, lots of crown. The fed for sure. The Saxon has a 2" brim. You may want to try one on first. A hat with a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 brim may work better.

Last edited:

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Ran across an old black bowler in a Stetson box today at an antique store. The box looked much newer than the hat. The hat did have a nice wide leather sweat in it (no reed) but I couldn't make out the manufacturer. It wasn't a Stetson from what I could tell, but maybe it was. The only thing I could make out, stamped on the sweat it said "wears like iron".
Curiosity has the better of me. Who made it?

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
You look like a big guy and from the pics the hats appear small. I feel you can look good in big full size hats. Lots of brim, lots of crown. The fed for sure. The Saxon has a 2" brim. You may want to try one one first. A hat with a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 brim may work better.
:arated: Both hats appear small on you, not a great look.

Cliff

MikePotts

Practically Family
Does this Stetson brim look weird?

il_570xN_255866962.jpg

or is that how it's supposed to be?

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Once you find a good hat color that works for your complexion and hair color you can just about wear any thing,of course you have to own it, wear it with confidence. Look at Kid Rock,he wears his hats backward, it's all in the style and how you want to "rock" it,brim size crown height that's just as important too though. Good luck!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It looks like its previous owner favored an upturned brim, or it was unceremoniously shoved in a box that was not quite big enough for it. It is not how a freshly flanged brim looks, no, but weird would be in the eye of the beholder.

John Wayne, for example, sometimes favored an upturned brim:
rio_bravo2.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with much of the foregoing. I don't like the straw one at all on you--give it away--and though the dark felt one is better, it strikes me as too low-crown for you. Best idea is to go to a hat store with many types to try on and find the best one by trial and error. It'll only take ten minutes before you find out everything you need to know.

Gromulus

Practically Family
FED Re-Bash

I concur that of the two the FED looks better on you. Never thought I would think that a FED IV was too low in crown height but perhaps you can re-bash it to raise it some? The wider brim is a better look for you.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The sweat has been replaced - and badly - with grosgrain. There's nothing wrong with the brim that 60 seconds and a little steam wouldn't fix. The sweat, on the other hand, will cost shipping, a hatter's services, and more shipping - and still won't be original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR