Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Since I don't live in OZ, I don't "bash" my hats. I would would however not hesitate to give most any open crown hat I would aquire the crease I want it to have. :)
I did try giving some of my hats a "bash" several years ago, but the Louisville slugger I used didi not give me much control so I went back to creasing my hats :)

If you did, you'd know your bat is the wrong shape, that your pitcher should actually be a bowler who would fault if he throws but would be headline news should the ball pitch in the square and the umpire raise his finger calling a lbw ;)

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Now if we're talking vintage baseball... (of which believe it or not there are leagues)what we know as a pitcher is actually called a "hurler"! AND to catch someone out, you can actually catch the ball on the first bounce for an out!

here is a site if anyone is interested
http://vbba.org/

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
To Stet or not to Stet?

Got a dark brown "Belamey" homburg on Saturday. I love it. I have a similar St. Regis, which is lighter in color and trim, and is 1/4" wider in the brim. Here are some similar photos of each hat taken for comparison. Which one looks better? I'm considering maybe (really just a slight glimmer of consideration at this point) unloading one of them.

The Belamey:
belameycopy.jpg

belameynaturallight.jpg

The Stetson:
002copyz.jpg

stregis002.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Bowlerman - all things being equal as to felt, sweat, etc., I prefer the curl of the Stetson.

Ran across an old black bowler in a Stetson box today at an antique store. The box looked much newer than the hat. The hat did have a nice wide leather sweat in it (no reed) but I couldn't make out the manufacturer. It wasn't a Stetson from what I could tell, but maybe it was. The only thing I could make out, stamped on the sweat it said "wears like iron".
Curiosity has the better of me. Who made it?

I tried on this one, but without further info. or photos, I've got nothing. "Wears like iron" is far too frequently used in describing products to find anything. If you'd like to dig around a little further, check out Google books, limit yourself to results with "previews available", and limit your search to a reasonable time-frame.

Lefty, Since I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, you've saved me. Yes it is.

That's a great hat, bought from a member. Unfortunately, the photos in the auction are a bit too small for me to see the problems with the sweat that you've described. For me, unreeded sweats are far more comfortable. Unfortunately, having them professionally repaired is just about impossible. Lacking the equipment, and knowing that the sweat will probably just fall out again, hatters will insist on installing a new, reeded sweat.

I recently had the same problem with my Playboy, and the choice came down to having it sewn in a less than perfect way, or having the sweat replaced. As I prefer my hats to remain as original as possible, I had a milliner sew the sweat. Click here for more. At some point, I'll have to bite the bullet and have a new sweat installed. Hopefully, that day won't come soon.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Its certainly a pleasure to be here!
Ok, here goes, I'm in a quandary. I just got an old Stetson felt off of Ebay. How would you
folks treat this hat? I mean, I don't mind wearing it as is....no liner, a little dirty, sweatband just beginning to separate, bowever -so- slightly loose. I love the fact it looks like its seen most of its eighty years. But wait, is she deserving of some restorative work at Optimo? At least, say, a cleaning? Is this just a waste of time first post citing personal opinion?
I would appreciate your kind insights.

Glenn

It's a lovely hat and definitely worth working on to the point that you would wear it. Optimo would likely want to replace the sweatband and probably put in a liner unless you tell them not to, which I would, as it did not have a liner originally. Restoring the sweatband rather than replacing it would be great if the sweat is still soft and supple and just suffering from broken stitching. It can be hard to find someone to do this. Optimo's new sweatbands are very nice too. If replacing the sweat means you will enjoy wearing the hat more, I would say do it and keep the original for its historical interest.

You can also live with the hat a bit before sending it off. Learning how to spruce up a hat with a brush, a little steam and a hatter's sponge is part of the fun. You might find a couple of inexpensive old hats to practice on.

keep us posted!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
To Stet or not to Stet?

. Which one looks better? I'm considering maybe (really just a slight glimmer of consideration at this point) unloading one of them.

The Stetson:
002copyz.jpg

stregis002.jpg

I like the curve of the Stetson brim myself. The other hats brim is too flat. That curve makes the hat look better on you to me.
They are alike in color and crown and the brim is the only difference I can see.

T Rick

Practically Family
Might just be me, but I like them both and think they are different enough to keep both (especially if bashed a bit different). Then again, pressure of space/spouse/funds etc. can dictate a lot about what is kept or swept. And your situation whatever it is, is unique to you (would you wear both, or is it likely one or the other would remain on the rack while one was chosen to wear often?).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, all. I was beginning to think maybe the Stetson curl was too much, but I think I'll hang on to both of them for now and see if one gets more wear over time. I like the idea of leaving the dents in the Stetson, but keeping the Balamey in a simple center crease.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
What is semi calado?

I've been looking at Panama Bob's site and a few others, so I guess it has something to do with the ventilation patterns that I've seen in all the images. Can anyone help out and give me something more specific. Google turns up heaps of examples, but not a specific description of that weave.

I'm drawn to it because everyone mentions that it's the coolest panama, best for deep tropics. I live on the equator, so this sounds like good news. Any other opinions on ultra-cool panama? particularly ones I could get from PB? I want to put in a test order for a low middle price, just to see how it goes ....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm thinking that semi colado indicates that the brim is not vented.

Whereas this would be a colado......

depafra0003f_L.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, I ran "Calado" through the BableFish translator, Spanish to English, and it came up "openwork". So Semi calado would be just that I suppose. BTW, I also tried Colado, it comes back as "strained" (as in a colander I suppose).

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Colador is the word for strainer, such as a tea strainer or colander. Colado would be something strained. it doesn't translate directly.

fmw

One Too Many
It is calado not colado. In spanish it means open work. My grandmother used to do lace making and she referred to the open areas in the emroidery as calado. In this case it would refer to the weave of the straw having open areas that are not tightly woven. Semi calado, I presume, would be a hat with some of the crown in an open weave such as band of open weaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner