Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I have an old hat that has to have shrunk from its original size, but the problem is that it barley fits and sometimes gives me a headache. I have no hat shop near by that can help, so what would the best way to stretch the hat be? Both hat and hatband? It doesn't need to stretch much but I do need it slightly larger.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have an old hat that has to have shrunk from its original size, but the problem is that it barley fits and sometimes gives me a headache. I have no hat shop near by that can help, so what would the best way to stretch the hat be? Both hat and hatband? It doesn't need to stretch much but I do need it slightly larger.
Many hat retailers sell an item called a "hat jack" for around $10.00 which you can buy and with some staem and one of those you can give it that push needed to get it to your size. Get one as they are just a generaly good thing to have along with a good hat brush or two. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
For how to cut or style your hair, check out General Attire. There's a Start Here thread at the top of the page that will help guide you to the right place. If you're asking about something hair length and hats or pomade affecting hats, this is the place.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
For those who have ordered an Optimo, what's the ordering process? The website says 50% down on Custom hats, but is that also true if I were to buy the Dillinger? Or is it full balance?

scooter

Practically Family
I have met Grant down in Bisbee. Nice fellow, nice shop, HIGH prices. As I recall, no custom fur felt under $400, but you can call and ask to confirm. Rabbit 400, mix r/b $600, pure beaver $800 as I recall.

Tatude

New in Town
For those who have ordered an Optimo, what's the ordering process? The website says 50% down on Custom hats, but is that also true if I were to buy the Dillinger? Or is it full balance?

He collecs 50% for the Dillinger. It's made after you order.

scooter

Practically Family
Ok, so does anyone know how they determine American sizing? For instance, I wear a size 7 1/2, and my head measures 23 1/2 inches around. If you put 7.5 x 7.5 in an ellipse circumference calculator, you get 23.5 inches. Is that the formula?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ok, so does anyone know how they determine American sizing? For instance, I wear a size 7 1/2, and my head measures 23 1/2 inches around. If you put 7.5 x 7.5 in an ellipse circumference calculator, you get 23.5 inches. Is that the formula?
Why do the math when it has been done for you? Unless you are a Long Oval shape sizing as is given in a hat sizing chart should work. Here's a good one:
http://www.hatsuk.com/hatsuk/hatsukhtml/bible/hatsize.htm

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

To answer your question, Wikipedia's "Hat" entry states:

Traditional hat size is worked out by adding the fore and aft and side to side measurements (in inches) then dividing by two. In the UK, an equivalent hat size is an eighth of an inch smaller than in the US.

scooter

Practically Family
It was just a matter of curiosity, Monbla, it just kinda jumped into my head last night so I was wondering.

Thank you, Lefty, for the clarification. It never occurred to me to look there, but I figured one of you guys could enlighten me.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi guys, change of subject. I am looking for good quality leather sweatbands,any one know a source that offers them at a reasonable cost?

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I bought a vintage Lock & Co bowler with some seriously ground-in dust marks. I've steamed and brushed it and I've managed to get the worst of it out but how do I go that extra mile? It's a really nice hat and I wanna wear it out but not in this state. Any useful cleaning products or tips?

T Rick

Practically Family
I bought a vintage Lock & Co bowler with some seriously ground-in dust marks. I've steamed and brushed it and I've managed to get the worst of it out but how do I go that extra mile? It's a really nice hat and I wanna wear it out but not in this state. Any useful cleaning products or tips?
I don't know if this is suitable for a Bowler or not, but perhaps. Have a look at the Naphtha bath detailed by Short Balding Guy in the Stratoliner Society, post #630, about three pages back from the last (i have linked the thread name but am not certain where in thew thread the link will land you- I was on the correct page for me when I linked it, but that may depend on your settings and your viewing method).

ETA: Actually, SBG was using Coleman White Gas I think, I am pretty sure that is a form of Naphtha though I may be wrong. I have read of others here doing a Naphtha bath for cleaning.

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family

You might swing by Lock & Co, as they made it they may cut you a deal on fixing it up.

MP

Wojo

Familiar Face
I want to add some curl to the back brim of a Milan I have. Can I just wet the brim and the use some type of form of the desired shape, secure the brim to the form and let it dry or do I need to apply some type of stiffener?

Thanks Wojo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner