Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scooter

Practically Family
Thank you, Frank. Good information, I felt a little foolish asking, but I figured someone here could set me straight.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Ok, serious question. I just completed my first sale via paypal and have money in my account. How do was one access that money, other than to use it to make a payment via paypal? In other words, can one withdraw that money and put it in your pocket?

Paypal can also mail you a personal check for all or a portion of your balance. Explore the withdraw funds tab to see the options.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I know when my hat is supposed to be dated, based on the sweatband (late 1940s or early 1950s), but what period does my hat look like it could be from? The reason I'm asking is that my hat was originally in fact a homburg, not a fedora, so that could change things. Since I trimmed the brim (to emulate the style of fedora worn in Le Samourai), it's changed the look dramatically, and I really do like it. It's my favorite hat.

Crown is 4 1/4 inches in height (the way I creased it), brim is 2 1/8 inches in width. It's not a very snap-able brim either, it's pretty flat looking, yet turned up in the back, and a little down in the front. I've owned this hat for a year, but for about eight months, I've worn it in the converted fedora style.

Photoon2011-08-31at1631.jpg

Photoon2011-09-17at2310.jpg

Finally, this is how it used to look before the conversion, and before a minor crease adjustment:

Photoon2010-11-20at1915.jpg

What do you think, could my hat still pass for a 1940s fedora as it is really dated, or is it a look more characteristic of a later period?

Last edited:

scooter

Practically Family
I know I just recently saw an article on preventing moth damage here somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyone save that URL, by any chance?

job

One Too Many
I thinks your hat looks good as a homburg or converted. As to a 1940's I'll leave that to the experts. Good Job.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Wrinkled ribbon...

A seller sent me two hats . . . and STACKED them together in the same box. The hat on the bottom got its ribbon scrunched a bit (the side of the bow) and now there's a wrinkle in the front of the ribbon. So, what's the best way to smooth out a wrinkled ribbon?

The hat (pictured below) is a silverbelly fedora made for/by Miller Hats. It fits my big size 8 head, too!

6201498187_9f7849927a_b.jpg

6202010140_4d930b84ca_b.jpg

6202010074_c7725979ea_b.jpg

bdcochran

New in Town
What is the hat Don Fanucci wore in Godfather 2. He was murdered.

What is the hat that character Don Fanucci wore in Godfather 2. He was the fat Don who was murdered.

jinenjo

New in Town
Excuse me for bumping this, but I'm desperate to know what I might do with this damn sweat band. Should I just get a replacement?

How about getting a vintage hat stretcher, to smooth out the side areas of the sweatband? The Hat Guys seemed to say it was pretty much a lost cause, unless I wore the hat constantly and the heat and moisture on my head would readjust the sweatband. They said afterward, to place a stretcher in it to keep the leather taught.

I'm a 7 1/4...would a smaller hat stretcher size work if I just made it larger? All of them on eBay seem to be <6 in size.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
In my opinion, you always want a stretcher that is smaller than your actual hat size. If you get one that starts at your size, it often won't fit well into the hat before you start opening the turnbuckle. I wear a 7 but I prefer a 6-5/8 stretcher and just open it up to my needs. Usually stretchers go at least a few sizes up from where ever it starts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters