Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
New to the site so not sure if anyone here knows but does anyone know any makers who make silk top hats again? I know it went out of production a while back but hoping to find one.

The problem is that no one makes the silk plush used. There are a couple of makers (very expensive) who use old stock silk to make new hats. Your best bet is probably vintage.

Last edited:

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Okay, so I have a hat with heavy sweat stains on the crown. I've read several threads on this, but I want to know: what would you advise as the absolute best way to get rid of them?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Okay, so I have a hat with heavy sweat stains on the crown. I've read several threads on this, but I want to know: what would you advise as the absolute best way to get rid of them?

Best odds, professional cleaning by a trained hatter ... ?

mattface

Practically Family
Help! curling sweat

So the sweat in my new to me Stetson 3x was looking pretty good when I got it, though it was a little thin and a little sticky. It has oilcloth behind it, and it's fairly thin leather.

Shortly after I started wearing it the edges started to curl. I cleaned it with saddle soap, then treated it with a bees-wax olive oil mixture I've had good luck with on saddle leather. That got rid of the stickiness, but the curling is pretty bad, and the curled edges have turned dry and hard. Now I'm thinking I'll have to treat the leather quite a bit more to get rid of the curling, but was wondering if anyone here has any tips to try and get it back to laying straight, and what sort of leather conditioner folks recommend.

If all else fails I'll have the sweat replaced. It's a very nice hat, but even when flat, the sweatband was nothing to write home about, so even though I'll lose the stetson name if I do it. it's bound to improve the hat, and I could get it enlarged a bit at the same time. If I go that way does anyone have a recommendation for a place to do the sweat replacement. If anyone knows a place in Vermont I'd be especially interested to know a local place that can do hat cleaning/blocking/sweat replacement. Barring that, Boston is a place I visit from time to time. Not that it HAS to be local, but I'd prefer a local place if I can find one.

It is gone = get it replaced.
So the sweat in my new to me Stetson 3x was looking pretty good when I got it, though it was a little thin and a little sticky. It has oilcloth behind it, and it's fairly thin leather.

Shortly after I started wearing it the edges started to curl. I cleaned it with saddle soap, then treated it with a bees-wax olive oil mixture I've had good luck with on saddle leather. That got rid of the stickiness, but the curling is pretty bad, and the curled edges have turned dry and hard. Now I'm thinking I'll have to treat the leather quite a bit more to get rid of the curling, but was wondering if anyone here has any tips to try and get it back to laying straight, and what sort of leather conditioner folks recommend.

If all else fails I'll have the sweat replaced. It's a very nice hat, but even when flat, the sweatband was nothing to write home about, so even though I'll lose the stetson name if I do it. it's bound to improve the hat, and I could get it enlarged a bit at the same time. If I go that way does anyone have a recommendation for a place to do the sweat replacement. If anyone knows a place in Vermont I'd be especially interested to know a local place that can do hat cleaning/blocking/sweat replacement. Barring that, Boston is a place I visit from time to time. Not that it HAS to be local, but I'd prefer a local place if I can find one.

frussell

One Too Many
Careful with the mink oil boys, don't get it anywhere near any stitching, as it will eventually rot them, and can also soak through easily and stain the felt. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters