Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
A couple of quick questions, if I may.

1) What would be a good hat match for a late-40s demob suit? I'm in Australia, and have won a dark blue suit, but am not sure what type of hat would be appropriate for the time and style. I'm going for an early post-war Australian or British look.

2) Was the expectation held that people should have a colour-matching hat for their suit, or was it OK to have a different-coloured hat? It's hard to tell in many black and white photos.

Cheers,
Matt

Medium grey is pretty versatile for blue and black suits, that's my choice of everyday hat wear. It is better than black (IMHO) as black hat with blue suit is not quite right, although great with a black suit

I recently purchased a fawn Akubra Whippet, and lo and behold, I am finding lots of brown suits at op shops that go with it. I never noticed them before I got the hat.

So, yes, grey

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
What kinda hat/cap is this:
1952ys3.png

Photo taken sometime between 1950 and 1951.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Buler! I hadn't dug that far back, and my effort to search the thread wasn't panning out. Shortcut appreciated. :)

Rodkins, I was just being a wiseacre.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone hear of a hat maker in NJ called De Capua? I just picked up a very old fedora and it has their liner stamp in it. But it also says
designed and hand detailed by De Capua,so this leads me to believe that they were not the original manufacture and the hat was made by someone else. The felt feels like very good quality, and holds a bash ,crease exceptionally well. The rake on it makes me think that it
is a 30s -40s
style fedora. Ill post pics after I get it re conditioned with new sweatband and ribbon,both of which were shot.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
One quick question about the modern western felts of Stetson hats. Can a modern 4X Stetson Open Road take rain, or will it be ruined? I'm hoping that my previous Open Road, since replaced with a new one (free of charge from Shepler's), is the exception, not the rule. That hat got these bizarre "spots" on the felt that looked like the hat equivalent of chickenpox or some disease-like bumps scattered around it. It was in real rain for sure, but I also wet it through my own doing (to see if I could re-shape it or make the felt softer since it was so stiff) from sink/shower water. Do you think that had anything to do with my problem?

pjt113

One of the Regulars
How do I edit my posts? I posted about a week ago in classifieds and now i want to update the post and I can't find the editing icon at the bottom of my post. I tried reaching out in the FAQ but haven't heard anything back so I thought I'd try here too.

Thanks

pjt113

One of the Regulars
How do I edit my posts? I posted about a week ago in classifieds and now i want to update the post and I can't find the editing icon at the bottom of my post. I tried reaching out in the FAQ but haven't heard anything back so I thought I'd try here too.

Thanks

BR Gordon

One Too Many
pjt113, do you see any of the icons, for example at the top of the Quick Relay box? I had an issue where none of them showed up, they were there just did not show up. I changed browsers and the problem went away.

BR

zetwal

I'll Lock Up

I think that you have to edit within three days of posting. I'm not sure why management imposes that limitation. Perhaps they can explain it to us?

pjt113

One of the Regulars
BR,

I see some Icons, not the edit one.

They ask you to update your posting when you sell an item , but how can you do that if you can't edit after 3 days?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I think that you have to edit within three days of posting. I'm not sure why management imposes that limitation. Perhaps they can explain it to us?

One would believe that the time limit would not apply to the classified section, but apparently it does.

BR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner