Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Four & Twenty Blackbirds

I just saw the Hercule Poirot episode Four & Twenty Blackbirds from 1989 on Netflix. In it, Suchet wore a flat black "derby". I am looking for a photo of it and where to find one. Any ideas?

BlinkyInky

New in Town
A hat such as this with the crown left open and the ribbon removed might work.
You would also need to 'rough' it up quite a bit.

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001068.php

edit to add:
Maybe a hat body would suit your needs.

http://www.hatsupply.com/beaver.htm

Thank you for your help. I, while trying to look for a hat, ran across a thread of hats that look similar. I think they are fedoras, but they don't seem as stiff as the ones I've seen in the past.
PossumPartners.jpg
barneykm4.jpg

Is there a place that I can get something similar? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I am new to these kinds of things.

gqmagic

One of the Regulars
Como II or Verdi

I have not seen these in person only pictures but they look similar. Are they different enough to have both? Is one preferable?
Thanks

These are Borsalinos btw, The thread was moved here from the Borsalino thread, I'm not sure if Borsalino people visit this section or not.

I was hoping for some replies tonight as i get ready to pull the trigger on a couple from Bencraft with the free shipping that expires tomorrow.

Last edited:

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
So, I've seen entire threads on the differences in types of hats, the proper etiquette for wearing them, and the situations for which each type was made, but have never seen anything about trilby's, or even the word trilby. I personally don't like them, but I'm an Auburn fan who actually lives in Alabama, so every trilby I see is houndstooth. Or, is trilby simply another name for a type of hat, and I see cheap ones, and they're labeled as trilbys? I'm very confused...

masiaka

Familiar Face
So, I've seen entire threads on the differences in types of hats, the proper etiquette for wearing them, and the situations for which each type was made, but have never seen anything about trilby's, or even the word trilby. I personally don't like them, but I'm an Auburn fan who actually lives in Alabama, so every trilby I see is houndstooth. Or, is trilby simply another name for a type of hat, and I see cheap ones, and they're labeled as trilbys? I'm very confused...
War Eagle!

AFAIK, Trilbys are a kind of fedora that combine a lot of taper in the crown with a stingy brim that is sharply snapped. The houndstooth monstrosities that are on shelves around here are low end. I grudgingly admire the Bear's houndstooth and gingham fedoras, though.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Haha, masiaka, I'm the same way about the decent trilbys that the 2nd best college coach ever (just shy of Dean Chizik. Just imagine if he had the number of scholarships Bear had...) used to wear. Thanks RBH for pointing all those threads out for me!

gqmagic

One of the Regulars

Here's Borsalino's version
http://www.villagehatshop.com/borsalino-packable-trilby-fedora-hat-black.html

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have any quick tips for straightening the sides and lengthening the brim of a hat that shrunk a little due to too much steam-playing?

My 5X Beaver Brand silver belly used to have a full, straight crown with about a 2 3/8" brim or so. Now it tapers and the brim, even after a successful home-flanging, seems to measure at just a hair over 2"! (I've re-creased it several times.)

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Happy New Year!

I have a quick question. I have a Pilgrim that needs a new leather sweatband. I contacted Mike Moore over at Buckaroo Hatters, but he's booked through May and is not taking repair orders until at least that time. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Happy New Year!

I have a quick question. I have a Pilgrim that needs a new leather sweatband. I contacted Mike Moore over at Buckaroo Hatters, but he's booked through May and is not taking repair orders until at least that time. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Optimo in Chicago does a lot of restrations, Paul's Hat works here in S.F. should also be able to do it.

Happy New Year!

Catalena Hatters, Henry the Hatter, Shorty's Caboy Hats... all have been discussed in numerous threads about hat renovations & repairs.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Fedora Faded at Bottom of Crown

I have seen this before and was hoping to learn more about the cause (it appears to follow the sweatband line) and if anyone has had any luck with fixing or lessening this.
Thanks!
Mike
a9a22c8e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana