Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
So my Amish hat, made by Flying Cloud Hats, was looking a little lumpy and one side of the crown bulbed out while the other tapered a bit. I wanted to reshape the brim, too, so what the heck, it went on the block tonight. However, while wetting and ironing, this happened to the T-shirt I was using as a rag, my fingertips, and to the countertop as well.

flyingcloudreshape006co.jpg

What made this happen? Especially why blue? The felt color is black, I think, but it could be a very, very dark brown. I can't remember it happening on any other hats I've messed around with.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I've been told that there are no true 'black' dyes, all are a superconcentration of some other colour. Try getting a spot of bleach on some black 'T-Shirts' and see what colour results - Violet, Blue, Brown...it just depends.

MP

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Thanks for the responses, guys! I guess this hat just wasn't as "color fast" as some others.

Yesterday I was steaming aResistol cowboy hat that I have from the early 80's. As I was reworking the brim I looked down and my fingers were all black.8 thought only newer hatco hats ran. I guess not

Jeff

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I was steaming aResistol cowboy hat that I have from the early 80's. As I was reworking the brim I looked down and my fingers were all black.8 thought only newer hatco hats ran. I guess not

I would consider an 80s hat well into the modern period. Still, that's horrible! Was the black pigment from the felt, or from a black sweatband?

Txmason

Familiar Face
Howdy!

I have a question for you concerning hats since you are quite knowledgeable about hats. I have the hat that was given me by a friend. It is a grey/wool tribly hat that the inner lining says Adams Hats New York, New York *the hat *needs to have the lining replaced, cleaned etc. where is a good place to get that done? I found a place in college station called cattlena hatters that will completely clean and replace the lining for around $65.00 if I bring it to them. $85.00 if I ship it to them. It is only about an hour away.*

Also, what about wearing a hat like the fedora daily or are hats made to be worn with just suits? I think it is very stylish and would like to start wearing a hat everyday and would appreciate any advice you can give on the matter. What style of hat should I get? I can post a picture of the hat if needed. I also like how a Derby hat looks too.*

Any help is appreciated!

Best,
Jerry*

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Howdy!Also, what about wearing a hat like the fedora daily or are hats made to be worn with just suits? I think it is very stylish and would like to start wearing a hat everyday and would appreciate any advice you can give on the matter.

Welcome to the Lounge. You may wear the right fedora with all sorts of clothes. Check the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread (and others) to get a quick peek into the range of possibilities.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I would consider an 80s hat well into the modern period. Still, that's horrible! Was the black pigment from the felt, or from a black sweatband?

It was from the felt. I was touching up a bunch of hats. luckily I was going light to dark for no reason just worked out that way. Would have hated to go from that to a Silverbelly and get it all smugged up with black.

Jeff

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It was from the felt. I was touching up a bunch of hats. luckily I was going light to dark for no reason just worked out that way. Would have hated to go from that to a Silverbelly and get it all smugged up with black.

Good thing indeed!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
A while back there was a mention of a store in Honolulu (I think) that sold Optimo hats...can anyone remember what this place was? Going to Oahu over the weekend and might have myself a look...

DJH

I'll Lock Up
If I remember correctly, the store was in a hotel. I think Chasseur posted some pics from there so you could pm him.

Old Buzzard

New in Town
The way I handle that is with a box large enough to hold hat without folding the brim out of shape. I pack newspapers under,over and around it. I then mark outside of box "Do Not Crush" in several places. So far I've had good luck shipping this way.
Quick question. How's the best way to ship a hat if you don't have a hat box. I guess i should say best way to pack it. Thanks.

Quick question. How's the best way to ship a hat if you don't have a hat box. I guess i should say best way to pack it. Thanks.

Find a box of right size to have space around the brim with it snapped up & for enough room for packing above the crown & below the brim.
Get a plastic cover from previous dry cleaning of a suit to wrap the hat in. Snap the brim, wrap the hat stuffing excess into crown, put packing material in crown.
Layer of packing material in bottom of box, wrapped hat in the box, packing material around crown on top of brim to top of box, close box top.

Some folks take a piece of construction paper & make a cone that takes the place of stuffing packing material in the crown. I reuse those if I have them....HTH

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Hey guys. I know the subject of hat stretching has been beat to death but I got a situation. I have this Akubra cattleman that I ordered about 6 months ago in a size 58. I measure maybe a little more than 58 unless I pull the tape a little snug which is why I got the 58. To make a long story short, the hat fit pretty good out of the box but over time its gotten a little too snug for my taste...I know these things shrink. Got a hat jack and tried stretching but that only seems to bring it back to its original size. I don't want to risk popping stitches on this thing so my question is this. Should I just sell this one and get the 59 or continue stretching the 58. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24