Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm new to fedoras so I'm not sure what to make of that but they didn't feel as nice to me personally.

If they don't feel nice to you personally, then you do know what to make of them. No worries, here you are free to develop (and share) your own preferences.

Welcome to the Lounge ... :yo:

felkor

New in Town
Thanks. I just don't want to stir up trouble, especially as I'm new. I got my fedora as a gift and it was actually the first one I'd ever even held onto, so shopping around this past weekend at various stores that sold hats was my first chance to do a comparison.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I just don't want to stir up trouble, especially as I'm new. I got my fedora as a gift and it was actually the first one I'd ever even held onto, so shopping around this past weekend at various stores that sold hats was my first chance to do a comparison.

Trouble? Not at all. Do your own comparisons and share your personal impressions and opinions freely. No matter your viewpoint, you will always find that some agree with you, while others don't. That's the nature of the game. Enjoy!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have a great portis, you can see it in my photo to the left, but the brim seems to be curling too much on the sides and not in the back, what is up with that? Has this happened to anyone else? I've popped the brim the opposite direction in hopes of correcting this issue, but should there be anything else I should be trying?

Hard to tell from your avatar picture (especially because it doesn't show the back) but it sounds like you could do for a re-flange.

Mystic

Practically Family
Question about logging in to the site. Not a big deal just wondering what I'm doing wrong or something I'm not doing that i should be doing.

When I first arrive on the site I usually log in and then look around various threads.

The first comment I attempt to make, (not every time but 95% of the time)takes me to a page that tells me I need to log in to comment. I log in again and the comment posts.

Why does my first log in not enable me to post comments? What am I missing?

Question about logging in to the site. Not a big deal just wondering what I'm doing wrong or something I'm not doing that i should be doing.

When I first arrive on the site I usually log in and then look around various threads.

The first comment I attempt to make, (not every time but 95% of the time)takes me to a page that tells me I need to log in to comment. I log in again and the comment posts.

Why does my first log in not enable me to post comments? What am I missing?

If you read some threads, there seems to be a timeout. There is a check box below your login name. Check it & it should leave you logged in. HTH

Kmadden

New in Town
I have a question for Steven at www.bencrafthats.com.
In 2009, you wrote about the Bollman hat company: "The problem is that they cant compete on price with the Chinese . I doubt they will still be manufacturing hats in five years."
Do you still think Bollman's days are numbered?

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
My first question in the forum:

As you can see from my avatar, I'm blessed with long hair, all 19 years of it. I recently bought my first hat. A Wool 'C' Crown Jaxon. Having read quite a few posts on here I realise that it may have not been the best choice for a first hat but I have it now and hopefully it can teach me something.

I measured up and found that I'm a 57cm (UK 7, US 7 1/8 - Thanks zetwal). The Jaxon goes on my head with my hair down but seems very loose. I can push it down on to my head but that creates a dimple in the crown with the top of my head although it seems to be a little more stable. It still doesn't give me confidence that if I wore it out, it wouldn't fly off in the smallest wind. Have I just bought the wrong size or should I just look for a hat with a deeper crown?

Possibly related to the same issue, I find that the brim wants to stay relatively flat. I was under the impression that the front should be sloped down (snapped?) and the back sloped up. Is this because the hat isn't tight enough to work like that or is it just because it's wool?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve - Destinys Agent

Last edited:

Davey_Speedstar

New in Town
Hi Destinys Agent, I'm in a similar position to you (with the same head size).

I was torn between the Jaxon C Crown and the Jaxon Ford Fedora as my first hat. In the end I went for the Ford Fedora (in my avatar). I assume, like me, that you bought the medium size, and it does feel very light on the head. However, over the weeks that I've had it, I've grown in confidence as to the breeze that it can stand up to, and a couple of days ago it was very windy in Hull, yet my hat stayed on my head (although there were a few times that I was ready to grab it just in case).

I'd appreciate seeing a pic of your hat 'in situ' as it were, just so I can see what it looks like. The Ford has a very wide brim, which as you can see in my avatar looks almost cowboy-like. Not quite the look I wa after, but it is a great introduction to hat wearing, and makes a great weekend hat. I have since bought a Chistys Gangster Fedora to wear to work, adn for more formal occaisions.

Last edited:

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
Hey, Destinys Agent. I very nearly got the Jaxon C crown as my first hat. Went with a Belfry Gangster instead. Since then I've bought and worn a couple more wool hats. I'm not sure how much "snap" your Jaxon should have, but based on the pictures it should have some. As far as fit goes, if you live near a hat shop, they will have, free for the asking, little (2 1/2 by 5 cm?) foam rectangles that slip betweem the hat and the hat band. I'm not sure what their proper name is, but they're basically hat shims. The next time you order from a hat shop, just ask them to include a few. I'm not anywhere near a hat shop, so I've used foam 2 1/2 cm wide that comes on a roll that is meant to be glued around the edges of a door as weatherstripping.

Don't let them get you down about your wool hat. I've got "nice hats" now, but I still wear my wool ones plenty often. I look best with a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch brim. Not too much more, certainly no less. Again, I don't live near any hat shops, so if I had only ever bought vintage Borsalinos I'd have had to sell one of my children to find that out. You now own a perfectly wearable hat, and you have some idea in which direction you should go with your next one. Congatultions on your new hat!

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Thanks for your guidance Davey_Speedstar & Lt.Tom

Davey_Speedstar: I deliberately steered clear of the 'Ford' type hats. For one I think that really would be a baptism of fire where I am! and also, I thought black was a good idea to go with several items of clothing I'd bought rather than brown. The Jaxon C Crown doesn't appear to have as wide a brim as your Ford Fedora, I'll measure it.... 2 1/4in (55mm). I'll get a pic done of both hair up and hair down in the near future and post them up here.

Lt.Tom: The Belfry Gangster looks like it has a very high crown. Maybe thats what I needed. Thanks for the tip about the 'shims' I'll try that and see how I get on. I got the Jaxon C Crown from Villiage Hats (http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk) and got good service so I may well buy my next hat from them. I'll ask about the shims. I may try the weatherstripping though. I have no hat shops nearby but do have some DIY shops :)

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
I have to say Davey_Speedstar it's nice to know there are some hat wearers in the UK. Where I am in Crayford, just SE of London, there's no one wearing hats. Apart from occasional baseball caps. I don't mind being the odd one out (been one all of my life anyway!) but I want to be confident with it :) Out to find some weatherstripping later.

[UPDATE] Well, no weatherstripping in my local shops can you believe. I'll try eBay. Does anyone know the name of the proper stuff that goes on or behind hat-bands to size down hats with?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo