Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Long Hair: Up or Down?

OK, Next question: Hair down or Hair up? Apologies for the not very good photography but I was in a rush to get the images up here.

Hat-Comparison-Chart.jpg

OK Confession time. I also recently received a DH Fedora from eBay. Only £15.99 so I thought that was worth it. At least the brim snaps, even though it's described as 100% Wool. It's brown rather than the black of the Jaxon. It also has a plastic sweat band which sticks on my head better than the Jaxon's felt band. Probably not good for sweat but these are my learning hats and I'm intending to get something good when I know what that is! :D

So, what looks best? - Oh and say what you like, you can't offend me :D

The Jacaru was bought in the summer of 2010 (such as it was) to keep the sun off my head whilst photographing outside. I've worn that a few times. I include it here just for completeness.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys, a quick question..

http://www.hatshopping.com/Penn-Bogart-Hat-by-Stetson.html#

I'm thinking off buying this hat, my first fedora, but i can't decide on the colour.

I wear a lot of black, but i will buy a other suit pretty soon (navy blue pinstripe suit)
What would be the best colour that will go with everything??

Thanks in advance
I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in, but from my education here, I'd think the grey would be a good bet. It goes with just about everything, and the light hat/dark suit combo works very well.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hey guys, a quick question..

http://www.hatshopping.com/Penn-Bogart-Hat-by-Stetson.html#

I'm thinking off buying this hat, my first fedora, but i can't decide on the colour.

I wear a lot of black, but i will buy a other suit pretty soon (navy blue pinstripe suit)
What would be the best colour that will go with everything??

Thanks in advance

That is actually a really nice hat. I also do think grey is a good choice for a color that you can get away with wearing with many different color clothing. Nice website that you are finding that hat on also! When you obtain that hat, post up a few pictures of it please!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
OK, Next question: Hair down or Hair up? Apologies for the not very good photography but I was in a rush to get the images up here.

Hat-Comparison-Chart.jpg

OK Confession time. I also recently received a DH Fedora from eBay. Only £15.99 so I thought that was worth it. At least the brim snaps, even though it's described as 100% Wool. It's brown rather than the black of the Jaxon. It also has a plastic sweat band which sticks on my head better than the Jaxon's felt band. Probably not good for sweat but these are my learning hats and I'm intending to get something good when I know what that is! :D

The Jacaru was bought in the summer of 2010 (such as it was) to keep the sun off my head whilst photographing outside. I've worn that a few times. I include it here just for completeness.

As a fellow hat lover that yes, I too, have some really long hair, I normally keep my hair in the pony-tail when wearing a hat. For me, I think it distracts from the hat if not! (just my opinion).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
+1. nice organized photos!
I am a fellow long-hair (not like yours, but in my earlier days it came close.) and find that too much cup in the back doesn't work very well for me, nor do stingy brims. A lighter snap is fine, or almost flat. I also subscribe to the philosophy that rolled brims work well with longer hair, especially since they can be so naturally shaped to dip in the front and back. Of course it's all what you're comfortable with!

Welcome aboard!

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
+1. nice organized photos!...I also subscribe to the philosophy that rolled brims work well with longer hair, especially since they can be so naturally shaped to dip in the front and back. Of course it's all what you're comfortable with!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks bowlerman By 'Rolled Brim' do you mean something like a Homberg?

bjornborg11

New in Town

Hat-Comparison-Chart.jpg

I personally like the bottom left and the top center.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks bowlerman By 'Rolled Brim' do you mean something like a Homberg?
Yeah, I think so. Or a bowler, lord's hat, even certain westerns, etc. Truth be told, I still wear a lot of fedoras with my hair down, too, but the cups in the back tend to be less pronounced, more shallow.

We will all probably have varying opinions on what looks best, but for instance, here's a lord's hat I've been wearing today. Hair back, hair down...
004copys.jpg

image3copyg.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
:) By that you mean the 'snap' that goes up as opposed to the front which turns down? Sorry, I'm a real noob!

A Lord's Hat, not heard of that before. I googled it and it looks like a very tall Homberg.

It's ok-- that's what this thread is for! Yes-- by "cup" I mean the "snap" that goes up in back.
Lord's hats can have various crown heights and brim lengths but in the very basic sense they're more casual homburgs without any ribbon binding at the edge of the brim. Been an obsession of mine lately...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?24991-The-Lords-hat

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
I saw a post about the quality tiers for Knox Hats somewhere in the forum. Despite many searches since, I cannot relocate it and fear I will stomp on my Knox Fifth Avenue in frustration. That would be tragic, so I post my questions here.

During what time period did Knox use the terms "Premier," "Excellent," etc... as designations of quality (and price)? Also, what is the order of designations from highest to lowest quality?

Thanks for saving my hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo