Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

felkor

New in Town
It's a Biltmore. I have seen it called the "Ark" on some websites.

And thanks - it is my very first fedora - got it as a birthday present.

TipTop

Practically Family
Looking for a thread on how to RE-CREASE a stiff western hat. The search feature gives me pages of crease mentions, but nothing specific and I wondered if anyone recalls such a thread, and if so, should it not be in the "pinned" thread file? In advance, thx.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It's a Biltmore. I have seen it called the "Ark" on some websites.

And thanks - it is my very first fedora - got it as a birthday present.
I remember seeing the Biltmore "Ark" at Meyer the Hatter many years ago, and there's at least one other member here who has one. My memory says the rake, the slope of the crown from front to back when seen in profile, was much greater than on yours, which looks much better to me. (I mean I prefer yours.) Did you have it reshaped or reshape it yourself, or did it come like that (in which case my memory is faulty)?

jerrea

New in Town
First of all hello, I am a newbie! I need help, Buler has a Stratoliner for sale that would fit me beautifully, but I cannot figure out how to purchase it if it is still avaliable.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
First of all hello, I am a newbie! I need help, Buler has a Stratoliner for sale that would fit me beautifully, but I cannot figure out how to purchase it if it is still avaliable.

Send him a private message (once you have enough posts to enable that function).

Welcome to the Lounge! :yo:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! Once I get this all figured out I will post pics of my darlings.

It's easy to post pics (and you can do so now).

Upload the pics you want to post to a host (such as photobucket). Then copy and paste the IMG code for the pics in question into your Lounge post.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Looking for a thread on how to RE-CREASE a stiff western hat. The search feature gives me pages of crease mentions, but nothing specific and I wondered if anyone recalls such a thread, and if so, should it not be in the "pinned" thread file? In advance, thx.

Steam the heck out of it and go to town. You may wind up with EOPC (evidence of prior crease), but some patient brushing and all-weather use will take of that.

buler

I'll Lock Up

Jerrea, I just responded in the classifieds. You need to get your post count up to 12 or 15 (can't remember) to do PMs. Or post an email I can reach you at.

B

felkor

New in Town
I remember seeing the Biltmore "Ark" at Meyer the Hatter many years ago, and there's at least one other member here who has one. My memory says the rake, the slope of the crown from front to back when seen in profile, was much greater than on yours, which looks much better to me. (I mean I prefer yours.) Did you have it reshaped or reshape it yourself, or did it come like that (in which case my memory is faulty)?

I didn't reshape it in any way. It is possible that it is not an "Ark". Although Biltmore has not in the past named their hats (they are starting with their 2012 line apparently though) so I believe any names are made up by the stores.

Anyway, I'm just going from what I could find online, and that is the closest I could find in online stores. If anyone believes it's a different one, please let me know!

Interestingly, it says "Vegas" on the band, although I was told that is just because this was one of the last hats made before the plant closed down, so they were using whatever pieces (including bands from other hats) to complete them.

felkor

New in Town
Looking again online at pictures of the Biltmore Ark, I can say that I don't think it's the same hat anymore. The top is bashed in quite differently.

So I'm left really not sure what hat I even have! Oh well, I love how it looks and that's all that matters.

TipTop

Practically Family
Steam the heck out of it and go to town. You may wind up with EOPC (evidence of prior crease), but some patient brushing and all-weather use will take of that.
Thx Randall, I figured that was it, but wanted to ask as it is much stiffer than dress felt. Also, hope the lining stays put....thx.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Wouldn't it be helpful to post a thread with only internet- adresses from good hat- shops? I read a lot about models and manufactures here in this forum, but when searching at google i often don't find a thing.

Cheers

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
What is the general quality of Barbisio hats? I saw one in a thrift store, 30 dollars. I don't think it's that old, so I guess I want quality info of more modern Barbisios.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy