Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well i finally have the hat.. They didn't have grey anymore, so i settled with black.

here a pic:

How does it look? Honest please..

Will post better pics of the hat

I think it looks great on you. Great first hat! Its also nice to see that you got a wider brim and didn't go the short brim route for your first hat. I honestly think you could pull off a little taller and less tapered crown though.

garryowen

New in Town
Can anyone help me date this hat?
There is a sticker underneath the sweatband that says "7 1/4 F38 SEE 04685 3W".

x00237p2.jpg

x00237p3.jpg

x00237p4.jpg

jthix

New in Town
Similiar to what DavidJ is asking, what should I use to clean the leather sweatband in my new Akubra Squatter. I've had it for a couple of days now and really love it but I want to make sure it doesn't shrink!

I'm going out today to my local western wear store to find a hat stretcher - want to get it before it rains tomorrow (I want to use the "cowbowy" method to crease the hat, so have been looking forward to rain) and would also like to get something for the sweatband.

Will something like Kiwi Saddlesoap work? Or is there something more specific for hats that I can get?

hippiexrosex

New in Town
Hello. I'm new to the group. I wanted to post a question about Caxton hats.

I just bought a Caxton Fifth Avenue New York, Selco, beaver fur hat. I am unfamiliar with the brand. Make that, I'm unfamiliar with any hat brand. I went online to try to research the brand, but have yet to be successful with finding any information.

I suppose my question would be, how much does this hat really cost? The owner of the hat store I went to said it retails for $550, but I am skeptical. We settled on a price of $100 instead. It looks like quality workmanship and materials.

If you guys have anymore information on Caxton hats, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

427684_126612157466435_100003529543448_101495_1883354023_n.jpg

424521_125996780861306_100003529543448_99053_1891389528_n.jpg

Chief000731

Practically Family
My question fellow loungers is do you guys think this crown is to tall for me? I love this hat but wonder about how it looks with my build.

DSC00340-1.jpg

DSC00338-1.jpg

DSC00339-1.jpg

Last edited:

george

New in Town
I think I can remember asking a question here last summer about where to buy a hat in Boston. People had ideas but nobody was really certain. Well, I can answer my own question with absolute certainty now: Salmagundi in Jamaica Plain is the best place to get a high-quality hat. Their store is amazing and when I visited last fall I found a nice Panama that essentially picked me, rather than the other way around. There were three people working when I visited, and one of the girls was particularly helpful and VERY knowledgeable. I bought the Panama on sale but wish I could have gotten more.

Alas, I'm a poor college student and when I decided to get a hat for the winter, I went to Goorin instead. Their hats are cheaper but for my budget it worked--I can go back to Salmagundi and get a "real" hat when the occasion arises. The girl I was talking about at Salmagundi said that they used to carry a lot of Goorin hats in their store, but they don't anymore because Goorin have gone a different direction with their business (namely, making lots of cheaper hats).

Basically, Salmagundi is a real hat store with real hat prices. I spent at least an hour just browsing, they're that good. Goorin is a cheaper hat store with cheaper prices. I haven't explored any other shops in the city, but then, I honestly don't feel the need to after discovering Salmagundi. Highly recommend them to anyone in the area who is in the market for a hat.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think I can remember asking a question here last summer about where to buy a hat in Boston. People had ideas but nobody was really certain. Well, I can answer my own question with absolute certainty now: Salmagundi in Jamaica Plain is the best place to get a high-quality hat. Their store is amazing and when I visited last fall I found a nice Panama that essentially picked me, rather than the other way around. There were three people working when I visited, and one of the girls was particularly helpful and VERY knowledgeable. I bought the Panama on sale but wish I could have gotten more.

Be sure to add your review to the Hat Stores thread ... :yo:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?31181

TipTop

Practically Family
I'm assuming that shea butter or mink oil is only applied to the finished side of the sweat band.

I have Lexol leather CLEANER that appears to be a glycerin-based liquid saddle soap. It makes a bit of "suds" when applied with some vigor to a headband (or anything else), but I mop them off right away. Then, I apply Bick #4 leather conditioner which is what i use (and is recommended by all manufacturers) on all my exotic skin (and regular leather) cowboy boots. Clear, no color, after it dries, buff to a low luster. Safe combo.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I've said it before and I'll say it again: beware Lexol if you have any concerns about your hot forehead being in close and prolonged contact with several carcinogenic chemicals. For the love of Pete, just use some shea butter!

Randall, Josh, et al,

Thanks for all the tips! I bought Lexol before reading all this, and will have to look into shea butter/mink oil now!

I will say, however, that (though I haven't actually worn the newly lexol-conditioned hats since I conditioned them) the Lexol notably softened the leather more than the armorall version did. [huh]

Chief000731

Practically Family
OK Guys I have a question. I just got my new custom Optimo, Now I want to get another one made I almost went with "Gladhatter and everybody on the lounge schooled me. So I was just wanting some opinions and ideas of who would be the choice to consider for my next custom hat? Somebody mentioned Art Fawcett I am looking for his website everybody said he was simply fantastic I would love to see some of his hats and find his website are there anymore reputable hat makers out there? Charlie at Gladhatters sure has some pretty hats displayed online but it seems like Mr. Fawcett is incredible. I was just wondering who all is available. Thank you all for your help with all my questions and everything so far. Oh I am looking for a very nice wide brim teardrop crown light color dress hat (Gangster look) Thank you all.
Carl

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
OK Guys I have a question. I just got my new custom Optimo, Now I want to get another one made I almost went with "Gladhatter and everybody on the lounge schooled me. So I was just wanting some opinions and ideas of who would be the choice to consider for my next custom hat? Somebody mentioned Art Fawcett I am looking for his website everybody said he was simply fantastic I would love to see some of his hats and find his website are there anymore reputable hat makers out there? Charlie at Gladhatters sure has some pretty hats displayed online but it seems like Mr. Fawcett is incredible. I was just wondering who all is available. Thank you all for your help with all my questions and everything so far. Oh I am looking for a very nice wide brim teardrop crown light color dress hat (Gangster look) Thank you all.
Carl

Art is great. I would also recommend Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works. John Penman of Penman hats is mostly known as an Indy hatter, but he has some fine looking lids as well. Parker at Falcon Park Hattery, and Tony B. at Tumwater hats, are also both well known around these parts. I've only personally purchased form Black Sheep and Penman, and would heartily recommend both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy