Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam Marlowe

New in Town
Pm prerequisites

Can anyone tell me what the prerequisites for having access to private messages are? People request a pm selling in classifieds &, apparently, w/my "new in town status", I don't have access &,
as a result, am not able to participate in classified sales. I also cannot im. Anyone know what I can do?

Can anyone tell me what the prerequisites for having access to private messages are? People request a pm selling in classifieds &, apparently, w/my "new in town status", I don't have access &,
as a result, am not able to participate in classified sales. I also cannot im. Anyone know what I can do?
PM'ing takes 15 posts, which you have reached. Other features may not be activated. I have never tried IM'ing.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Disney, and other amusement parks

Do you all wear hats when visiting these places? I would like to take a hat, but I'm not sure how the logistics of hat wearing and ride riding work. I'd prefer to take my Fed IV, but maybe I should just suck it up and go Tilley?

Do you all wear hats when visiting these places? I would like to take a hat, but I'm not sure how the logistics of hat wearing and ride riding work. I'd prefer to take my Fed IV, but maybe I should just suck it up and go Tilley?

I got this synthetic straw hat with a hat cord that I took to the Dominican Republic, even went dune buggy'ing with it.
It is almost indestructable. I didn't care if I destroyed or lost it. Have to feel the same about any hat taken to Disney....

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Funnily enough, I just returned from Disneyland. On the sunny day I wore my Stetson Shangtung milan, on the rainy day I did bring my Black Sheep. I made sure to avoid any contact with chlorinated water (such as on water rides) with my felt hat of course. If you can deal with holding on to it during rides, go for it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'd suggest buying and using stampede strings on a 3 inch or wider brimmed straw hat. A VERY inexpensive Panama Bob or Sun Body should work fine. For the roller-coasters, you can hang the hat around your neck and have it lay on your chest. Personally, I need to go to Worlds of Fun this year, and I think I'll wear a baseball cap.

Later

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have some nice canvas Aussie style slouch hats that I have bought at Disney over the years
001.jpg

Jeff

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Here goes:

With summer fast approaching and my hat collection pitifully small, I'm considering buying a Panama. What I'd really like is one of the very classy looking fedora style ones I see on here frequently. I'd be happy with the colonial style ridge or with the tri-dent style. I prefer not to have a stingy brim. What I want to know is how much is a reasonable price for such a starter panama? I've done a wee bit of research and I see prices wildly varying from aroun $20-$30 to almost $1000. More than a hundred bucks for a hat made of straw seems a bit out there to me. What is a reasonable price, and what do you guys think is the best place to buy one's first panama hat?

If possible, please PM with replies. Many thanks in advance!
G&T

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here goes:

With summer fast approaching and my hat collection pitifully small, I'm considering buying a Panama. What I'd really like is one of the very classy looking fedora style ones I see on here frequently. I'd be happy with the colonial style ridge or with the tri-dent style. I prefer not to have a stingy brim. What I want to know is how much is a reasonable price for such a starter panama? I've done a wee bit of research and I see prices wildly varying from aroun $20-$30 to almost $1000. More than a hundred bucks for a hat made of straw seems a bit out there to me. What is a reasonable price, and what do you guys think is the best place to buy one's first panama hat?

If possible, please PM with replies. Many thanks in advance!
G&T

http://www.panamas.biz/ is a good place to start. I haven't personally got one of Bob's Panamas, but many members here do.

Honestly, if you want a good quality Panama, it's going to be more than $100. The cheaper hats you're seeing are most likely a Shangtung in a Panama style weave, rather than a natural fiber.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
http://www.panamas.biz/ is a good place to start. I haven't personally got one of Bob's Panamas, but many members here do.

Honestly, if you want a good quality Panama, it's going to be more than $100. The cheaper hats you're seeing are most likely a Shangtung in a Panama style weave, rather than a natural fiber.

A Shangtung is a paper straw, isn't it? As opposed to a panama being a plant based straw?

Hawk_7575

New in Town
Hello all, I'm very new to hat wearing, actually just bought my first non-Walmart fedora earlier this week. However, a few weeks ago I began styling my hair in the Don Draper from Mad Men style... ya know, slicked back to the side with a side part. My question is this: how can I keep my hair looking at least somewhat decent underneath my hat, so that when I am inside I don't look like I just rolled out of bed. I've heard Brylcreem works well, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this problem. I've looked around for a thread on this and couldn't find one, but this forum is huge, so if I missed it I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto