Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Watching Double Indemnity 1944 American film noir, The film stars Fred MacMurray. I am digging his fedora... Does anyone know what kind of hat this may be, any guess about the dimensions, and would this be something that could be found or made? Any ideas on this lid?
double_indemnity_still.jpg
In this pic it looks a dead ringer for my favorite vintage dark brown Royal Stetson with a bound and perfectly swooped brim. Apparently there were Stetsons with the same features as a Whippet (wide ribbon, bound brim, etc.) and which were indistinguishable from a Whippet, but didn't have the "Whippet" marker on the liner.

MacMurray was a pretty tall fellow, right? So this lid might have a 2.5" brim; it would look sort of average width on a tall guy like him.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
I'll ask this here, as it may have been tackled in the panama hat thread, and I don't want to clutter that up:

Can you shape the front brim on a real (not shantung, but "handwoven in Ecuador") panama, such as Stetson's Panama Open Road (http://www.meyerthehatter.com/meyer/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=STETSON+WESTERN+STRAWS&dept_id=33), with some steam?

I like the cattleman crease on my ORs, but I prefer a fedora-style front brim swoop.

I have one of these from Meyer and had no problem snapping the front brim down. Didn't really even need any steam. It is a much better hat than the Shantung Open Road. However, it comes with a brown ribbon and not black like in the picture. I actually like the look of the brown ribbon better.

wmc

Familiar Face
Replacing a Ribbon

Just bought a panama from Pb and I'm replacing the ribbon.
I'm having trouble getting the new ribbon to lie flat against the
hat. Any tips??

hatsandart

New in Town
Did Stetson sell the name Whippet? Curious because several Stetsons we have come across have all the details of the Whippet, just not the name inside.

From Bruce Wayne:
Does anyone happen to know where one could purchase a red milan with a wide brim?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Hi There Charlie,

Red milan straw with wide brim? That's a toughie, not in our store. I'll talk to Mr. DelMonico and see if he knows where you could look.

-Brandon

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Saw a fedora the other day that claimed it had a "self-conforming" sweat, except it wasn't a Resistol, it was an Admiral. I thought that was exclusive to Resistol, or was Admiral part of them at one time?

JAVIER

Practically Family
I was surfing the web and came across these articles from 2009 & 2010 (one lead to another) well it caught my eyes and thus I wonder did it pop up here years ago?
First http://sleevehead.blogspot.com/2010/03/rise-and-fall-of-hats-stetson-whippet.html
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
The rise and fall of hats: Stetson Whippet advertisement
In 2009 I wrote about hatwearing and four reasons why men wear hats today. I decided to write about hats because it seemed to me that hatwearing (brimmed hats) among men has picked up in the past five years.

So when did hatwearing supposedly die off before making this recent comeback? Some say after World War I, others after World War II and still others say in the 1960s. Here's a Life Magazine ad from the classic American hatmaker Stetson advertising its Whippet fedora. The date of the issue is March 8, 1948.

Stetson Whippet
4356512577_c65a413c5f.jpg

Also, With Mention of this forum...
It's been an elusive question - what decade marked the end of hatwearing and why? It's a question I will address more comprehensively in my book.
Musicians, rules, weather and God or four reasons to wear a hat in 2009
http://sleevehead.blogspot.com/2009/08/musicians-rules-weather-and-god-or-four.html
In addition to the fashion-oriented creatives, we cannot ignore the other distinct camp of hatwearers today: the retro-conformists. This group is all about the Restoration of rules established and practiced to perfection sometime in the 1930s and 1940s (i.e. see The Fedora Lounge). Like the creatives, the retro-conformists borrow clothing and accessories from a previous era. But unlike the creatives, the borrowing is done in conscious homage to a lost world of superior manners and etiquette, of clearly defined masculine and feminine codes.
Going back to the hats themselves, the essential difference between the retros and the creatives is the brim and crown. This recent Wall Street Journal article on the current hat craze is right about the utter domination of the stingy brim among the creative set. But the article falls prey to the myth that hats underwent a complete and total mass extinction in the 1960s only to be resurrected by fashion designers circa 2005.

Last edited:

JAVIER

Practically Family
Any clue what type of hat the Young POTUS is donning, is it really a wide-brimmed boater or Panama? http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/25/barack-obama-the-college-years#
"18-year-old freshman who liked Earth, Wind & Fire and wore silly hats. "
I actually like it and don't think its silly at all.
(not trying to get into a political debate just asking a question on a hat.)

Barack-Obama-001.jpg

Last edited:
Turn of the 19th Century?! Don't believe everything you read ... ;)

I think he is doubting hat decline started in either 1800 or 1900. Those seem to be major hat wearing periods...

According to the Chicago Manual of Style, there is no common agreement about the phrase "turn of the ____th century." For instance, if a statement describes an event as taking place "at the turn of the 18th century", it could refer to a period around the year 1700 or one around the year 1800.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy