Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Landman

One Too Many
Ed,

I can't get that PDF file to open on my iPad but I probably can later on a standard computer. I'm looking forward to reading it.

However, just my 2 cents, but "decline" could have a different interpretation for that era. For instance, instead of everybody wearing hats only 90% of people are wearing hats. It sure seems to me that hats were very prevalent in the early 1900's through the early part of the 1960's. That's just my opinion based on old photographs, films and older relatives who wore hats.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think it is endemic of any trade publication to adopt a Chicken Little attitude regarding their object of choice. For years I subscribed to auto and bike magazines and the overriding theme of so many columns was how their particular precious item was going away if no one did something about whatever it was that was threatening its very existence. Then again, with motorcycles, especially, maybe that was really the case. No one likes 'em 'cept the people who ride 'em. I don't ride anymore and I'm not crazy about them anymore.

So, people in the hat trade, as well as other interested parties, drum up more interest with a 'the sky is falling' scenario than an 'everything is just peach-keen' approach.

Landman

One Too Many
Very good point Scotty,

I have a question on another totally different topic. I have seen some Resistols and Stetsons that have a hole punched in the sweatband. It is a larger hole like done with a paper punch for putting paper in a binder. Does this hole mean anything? I was thinking maybe it indicated a factory second or a hat with an imperfection.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The hat trade magazine's The American Hatter and Hat Life noticed the tread of not wearing hats much more quickly as they see the decline in sales. There was a decline in the sales of hats after WWI and it slowly continued to the point in the 50 and 60's where all the hat shops and Hat companies went out of business and we have the business that we suffer with today.:)

ggguy77

New in Town
I recently purchased a Churchill coconut straw Fedora and contrary to the listing it arrived with a heqvy smoke/must smell. I like the hat and want to keep it. Ideas on getting rid of the smell? Is febreze safe for a older hat like this one?

Can anyone locate the tread that had the instructions on how and where to measure construction details on clothing like suits and jackets so you can compare to your own and ideally find a vintage suit that is a good or close fit?

OT1899

Familiar Face
Very good point Scotty,

I have a question on another totally different topic. I have seen some Resistols and Stetsons that have a hole punched in the sweatband. It is a larger hole like done with a paper punch for putting paper in a binder. Does this hole mean anything? I was thinking maybe it indicated a factory second or a hat with an imperfection.

----------------------
That would be my conclusion as well. I've seen them in some (but not all) hats at the Hatco Outlet in Garland and assume they were marked that way for the outlet store. I didn't ask to confirm this, but it seemed reasonable. Anyone else know for sure?
----------------------

I recently purchased a Churchill coconut straw Fedora and contrary to the listing it arrived with a heqvy smoke/must smell. I like the hat and want to keep it. Ideas on getting rid of the smell? Is febreze safe for a older hat like this one?

Newspaper trick is my go-to fix. Worked on felt hat with HEAVY pipe smoker smell. Should work for straw too....

----------------------
That would be my conclusion as well. I've seen them in some (but not all) hats at the Hatco Outlet in Garland and assume they were marked that way for the outlet store. I didn't ask to confirm this, but it seemed reasonable. Anyone else know for sure?
----------------------

Call the Outlet store in Garland & ask Dave...he'll give you the straight stuff...

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
When did Stetson begin using powder to color their hats? If we buy 50's vintage, are we safe, or were they already using powder at that point? If I buy vintage I don't want to see streaks if it gets wet, and I'm looking at a 50's hat I might buy.

New in Town
Looking at a getting a new hat

Hi every one,new guy here,and this looks like the place to get some good information.I have been looking at Top-Hats.com website.They have a slouch hat that I am interested in,have any of you folks had any dealing with this outfit.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
ivy and flat are similar if not the same:

AAAAC_eGwMUAAAAAAFHWtg.jpg

newsboys have 6 or 8 pizza pie panels:

newsboy-cap.jpg

lsm

New in Town
Hats too big - any ideas?

I've just bought a new hat off ebay and its a little too big for me, I've asked at a lot of local stores and no one seems to have a solution, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
thanks

GamaH

A-List Customer
ivy and flat are similar if not the same:

<picture>

newsboys have 6 or 8 pizza pie panels:

<picture>

So what about this? The "cut" of the cap (if y'all use that term with regards to hats) looks more like the Ivy/flat, but it has panels.

BorsalinoLongshoremanNavyLinen.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I've just bought a new hat off ebay and its a little too big for me, I've asked at a lot of local stores and no one seems to have a solution, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
thanks

Ism, welcome to the lounge!
You can put some cork stripes or foam under the sweatband. That helps mostly to reduce the size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred