Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hi, everyone!

I just would like to know if white is a traditional colour for men's hat in winter.

Thanks!:D

Hi Pino, welcome to the Lounge.
White is definitely not a tradtional color. Not even in summer.
Neither is off-white, for that matter, except of course the ivory color in Panama hats for summer. Light gray felts were seen with some regularity, but even those were more of a U.S. thing, not a European thing.
Traditional felt colors are all shades of gray except for extremely light shades, then of course black, all earth tones, dark green (especially moss green, less so the bright greens), and the tan shades, and silverbelly.
Oxblood (a reddish brown) might still be considered traditional, or it might not. Same goes for navy and midnight blue.

Last edited:

hPPYs

New in Town
Hi Pino, welcome to the Lounge.
White is definitely not a tradtional color. Not even in summer.
Neither is off-white, for that matter, except of course the ivory color in Panama hats for summer. Light gray felts were seen with some regularity, but even those were more of a U.S. thing, not a European thing.
Traditional felt colors are all shades of gray except for extremely light shades, then of course black, all earth tones, dark green (especially moss green, less so the bright greens), and the tan shades, and silverbelly.
Oxblood (a reddish brown) might still be considered traditional, or it might not. Same goes for navy and midnight blue.

Wow, Rabbit, thank you very much for such a full and helpful answer! I am delighted!:eusa_clap

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Wow, Rabbit, thank you very much for such a full and helpful answer! I am delighted!:eusa_clap

No problem, Pino. :)

I should add that white felts and the brighter colors are sometimes seen in vintage hats, but they are not traditional nonetheless. Other colors in this category would be shades of light blue and light green, and other rather conspicuous dyes. Traditonally, the colors in men's hats are all about inconspicuousness, at least to some degree. The lighter felt colors like silverbelly appear light enough as it is when viewed under natural light. A white felt looks almost blindingly light.

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Post your new-to-you hats in the Post New Hats Here! thread, or in the Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest thread if you got them from there.
Check the sticky Links To Important Hat Forum Threads for threads about all the main vintage hatmakers (another venue to post your hats where applicable), and much more.

If you come to this place regularly, you will soon know the ins and outs of the forum.

Morning, Rabbit,

Many thanks for the info. I actually do stop by and have been poring over the great information offered here. But, so far, "where" to post "which" photos has remained a bit murky to me. Hey, Mom always said I wasn't the sharpest crayola in the box, though..... : ) I'll post a few hats each day and see how they go. One thing I can say is that, you Folks have really been a wonderful resource, now that I'm getting back into hats, and I truly appreciate that there is a great place like this, to learn, and to share information about this! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some info on a western Resistol hat labeled "Beaver 100". It's a relatively modern hat and I was wondering whether the "beaver 100" marking would mean 100% beaver?

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some info on a western Resistol hat labeled "Beaver 100". It's a relatively modern hat and I was wondering whether the "beaver 100" marking would mean 100% beaver?

Stetson had a Beaver 100 as well as just 100. Both are assumed to be pure Clear Beaver, just like 7X Clear Beaver.
I'd hazard Resistol was keeping pace & this is their version.

DougC

Practically Family
Contractor in my area has a Resistol Pure Beaver that his grandfather bought him in the late 1970s or early 1980s. It was raining, so I didn't ask to see his hat. Could be the same style hat...so, yeah...GT is probably right.

hPPYs

New in Town
No problem, Pino. :)

I should add that white felts and the brighter colors are sometimes seen in vintage hats, but they are not traditional nonetheless. Other colors in this category would be shades of light blue and light green, and other rather conspicuous dyes. Traditonally, the colors in men's hats are all about inconspicuousness, at least to some degree. The lighter felt colors like silverbelly appear light enough as it is when viewed under natural light. A white felt looks almost blindingly light.
Very happy to know these details, Rabbit, thank you again!

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I've got a question: for me it's important on a hat, that the crown sides are not tapered. Not at the sides and not at front and back. The sides should parallel, if you look at them from front and from side.

Now, I soon get a Fed IV Dlx, and I wonder if I can make a teardrop or diamond- crease on this hat, without folding the sides in. Sorry for my english, but it's hard for me to describe these specific behaviours of a hat. I'll try.

I get the feeling, that a center dent crease will fold the back and front of a hat (view from side) outsides. The edge in the back pushes the felt out. ->
DSC_0170.jpg
(took the pic here out of the lounge)

But what about the other creases? I have a christy's and I bashed it with a teardrop-crease, and have got the feeling , that the parallels of the hat got lost because of this crease. Is there more clamping on the crown while bashing it center dent?

And what would you think? A diamond crease to a Akubra FedIV without getting this taper?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I've got a question: for me it's important on a hat, that the crown sides are not tapered. Not at the sides and not at front and back. The sides should parallel, if you look at them from front and from side.

Now, I soon get a Fed IV Dlx, and I wonder if I can make a teardrop or diamond- crease on this hat, without folding the sides in. Sorry for my english, but it's hard for me to describe these specific behaviours of a hat. I'll try.

I get the feeling, that a center dent crease will fold the back and front of a hat (view from side) outsides. The edge in the back pushes the felt out. (took the pic here out of the lounge)

But what about the other creases? I have a christy's and I bashed it with a teardrop-crease, and have got the feeling , that the parallels of the hat got lost because of this crease. Is there more clamping on the crown while bashing it center dent?

And what would you think? A diamond crease to a Akubra FedIV without getting this taper?

Short answer: Fed IV and un-tapered creased crown, no problem. Any crease will do.

Long answer: If you have a 52 or 52ish block shape as on the Fed IV, the creased crown will be untapered. What you see in the pic above is a very deep center dent that pushes out the crown profile in side view, resulting in reverse taper. A normal depth for the center dent will result in a straight crown. See the thread Limits of Blocking, post #31 (by Josh) onward.

Last edited:

tealseal

A-List Customer
What would one call the type of hat Det. Corchoran wears in BBC's Copper, and who would be the most capable of creating a reproduction?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
What would one call the type of hat Det. Corchoran wears in BBC's Copper, and who would be the most capable of creating a reproduction?

As far as I can see, it's a John Bull top hat (low crown with a slight flare, and rolled brim). One of my favorite styles (also referred to as Johnny Depp's "Dead Man" hat), although that one almost has more of an equestrian dressage look to it. You could try Buckaroo Hatters, Clearwater Hats, Knudsen Hats, or Texas Hatters (among others I'm sure). Bender Hats may also offer something similar.

Various manufacturers offer wool versions as well.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hey, I'm searching a specific Akubra, which I had years ago. It was called "Interpreter", or somehow like that. Did anyone hear of it? Or has a link? Or an idea?

I really want to find it again, but no results in the www.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters