Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StokerCat

New in Town
Good day, boys! Anyone have any info on Miller Bros. line of Wrangler (same logo as the jeans) hats from the late 70's/early 80's? I have only spotted a few online and I saw one picture claiming at least one hat from the line was a 5X fur felt. I recently purchased one online that looks like with the smallest amount of work (and a repro band) it would be a pretty good replica of Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Western hat. Very little details on it were available outside of the size but the picture looked like it could be a decent felt. I'm guessing they had a range of cheapies to high dollar but then again, it's Wrangler so who knows? Any information would be great. Thanks!

RBH

Bartender
Good day, boys! Anyone have any info on Miller Bros. line of Wrangler (same logo as the jeans) hats from the late 70's/early 80's? I have only spotted a few online and I saw one picture claiming at least one hat from the line was a 5X fur felt. I recently purchased one online that looks like with the smallest amount of work (and a repro band) it would be a pretty good replica of Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Western hat. Very little details on it were available outside of the size but the picture looked like it could be a decent felt. I'm guessing they had a range of cheapies to high dollar but then again, it's Wrangler so who knows? Any information would be great. Thanks!

I have this ad from '81. But that is all I can help with.

wranglerxa.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Now that I finally have a box suitable for mailing it in, where does the Lounge recommend one should send a fishing hat that needs a new sweat band and a good cleaning? It was my first fedora and I'm loathe to part with it but the deteriorating band leaves black bits on my forehead whenever I wear it. Help?

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like you've got kind of a beater there Oldsarge so one of the custom hatters admired here might cringe at the chance. Here's a place I've heard about but have no experience with: http://www.cleanahat.com/index.php

Unless you have sentimental attachment to yours, it might be cheaper to just buy a replacement vintage hat.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Grizzly Adams - hmm, could you be a bit more specific - I do appreciate the reply, it just doesn't give me much to go on....

Well friend there's not much to go on in the first place. Aside from iconic models it's near impossible to Identify a hat by just looking at the outside.

StokerCat

New in Town
Thanks, RBH. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come in and see what it's like.

Vladdt, with the size of the brim, the stitching on the brim, the crushed crown, and English mod-styles of the period, I'd guess it was probably a ladies over-sized fashion hat similar to what is worn to horse races here in the States. Love The Cult, btw. That video is not one of Ian's better fashion moments though!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Sounds like you've got kind of a beater there Oldsarge so one of the custom hatters admired here might cringe at the chance. Here's a place I've heard about but have no experience with: http://www.cleanahat.com/index.php

Unless you have sentimental attachment to yours, it might be cheaper to just buy a replacement vintage hat.

Heck, it would more practical to just buy a tan Stylemaster but this was my first fedora and, like you said, it's got sentimental value. Thanx for the link.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Now that I finally have a box suitable for mailing it in, where does the Lounge recommend one should send a fishing hat that needs a new sweat band and a good cleaning? It was my first fedora and I'm loathe to part with it but the deteriorating band leaves black bits on my forehead whenever I wear it. Help?

Why don't you try and do the cleaning job yourself? You might have a lot of fun doing in, especially since the hat is such a long-time companion of yours.

Here's the STEP BY STEP NAPTHA BATH thread with all the info on how to do it.

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hi, All,

I posted this in the thread linked above, but thought I should post it here, too, just to cover all the safety bases.

Doc

"Quote Originally Posted by buler View Post
Wear gloves, eye protection, and respirator mask. Do it in a very well ventilated area. No flame source anywhere nearby. My 2 cents.

B"

Greetings, All,

This is a VERY important point, Folks, as Naptha, like Coleman Fuel, has a flash point of about -40° below zero!! That means that even a spark, or teeny-tiny flame, anywhere nearby, will cause it to ignite immediately!!!! As one who has a collection of vintage camping stoves, dating back to 1866 (got around 600 of those little critters, and I swear that they must produce offspring, as more keep showing up, regularly!!!), I have learned not to refuel one stove, when another one is still burning merrily 20 feet away!! How do I know this? Don't ask!! Just use your imagination, and I'm certain you can recreate the "flashing experience" I survived!! YIKES!! Don't ever use Naptha, or any such fuel, inside your home, or even in your open garage, but rather outside in an open and protected area. And, for goodness sake, don't smoke, or let anyone else who is smoking, stand near you! Word to the wise on this, Gentlefolk, as this is something that can burn you horribly, burn down your home, and cause you more grief than you can ever imagine, IF something goes wrong when using these fuels!!

Now, having said all that, I use Coleman fuel, in stoves and lanterns, some dating back to the earliest stoves Coleman ever made, and in others that actually predate those appliances, often and since my "wake up call", have never had even a small problem with it. That means around 40 years of using such fuels safely, after my first mistake.....! Go for it, but be careful when and where. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I've got plenty of things to entertain myself with, thanx, and I'm not about to try and replace the sweat band on my own. Fortunately, Cleanahat.com will take care of everything and I'm shipping it out Monday.

Doc is right. Flammable liquids are not toys.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Same dilemma applies. That doesn't really look to be a high quality fur felt hat though.

The general look of both hats is more towards the old west hats. A Stetson Austral might fit the bill for a similar looking lid, or an original style Boss of The Plains. Check out hatters like Knudsen Hats, Last Best West Hat Co, and D Bar J off the top of my head.

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Greetings, Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a question about posting hat photos in the proper place. I've spent the last two days taking photos of the hats I have, to date, hopefully, with enough detail to help learn more about them. Should I post each hat individually, as there are tons of photos? Exactly where is the best place to post such things? I was thinking of posting all of them to the "dating your hat" thread, but if there is a better place, I'd appreciate learning what's best here at The Lounge. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (Looking forward to sharing his hats here!)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Greetings, Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a question about posting hat photos in the proper place. I've spent the last two days taking photos of the hats I have, to date, hopefully, with enough detail to help learn more about them. Should I post each hat individually, as there are tons of photos? Exactly where is the best place to post such things? I was thinking of posting all of them to the "dating your hat" thread, but if there is a better place, I'd appreciate learning what's best here at The Lounge. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (Looking forward to sharing his hats here!)

Post your new-to-you hats in the Post New Hats Here! thread, or in the Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest thread if you got them from there.
Check the sticky Links To Important Hat Forum Threads for threads about all the main vintage hatmakers (another venue to post your hats where applicable), and much more.

If you come to this place regularly, you will soon know the ins and outs of the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy