Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TomS

One Too Many
Folks:
I'm curious to know the apporpriate term for the *long hair* felts I've seen from time-to-time. Is "kitten finish" correct?
Thanks,
Tom

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Kitten finish is a different finish Resistol used. Long nap, long hair, furry, velvet, it's all good, but sort of depends on the hat.

Mystic

Practically Family
Stetson sweatband question.

What years was this black sweatband with silver printing and this Stetson logo used?

I feel sure it is a 60's or newer. But, is it early or late 60's or maybe late 50's or 70's.

What would be the quality of the 4x of a hat with this sweatband?

thanks

T2eC16JHJGoE9nuQeWejBQS-P7km60_12.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Folks:
I'm curious to know the apporpriate term for the *long hair* felts I've seen from time-to-time. Is "kitten finish" correct?
Thanks,
Tom

Velour.

Stetson sweatband question.

What years was this black sweatband with silver printing and this Stetson logo used?

I feel sure it is a 60's or newer. But, is it early or late 60's or maybe late 50's or 70's.

What would be the quality of the 4x of a hat with this sweatband?

thanks

T2eC16JHJGoE9nuQeWejBQS-P7km60_12.jpg
[/IMG]

My gut says 70s, but I haven't handled enough vintage hats to be particularly reliable.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'd have to see the rest of the hat- dating off one detail alone is unreliable, but I would say '70s on the 4X stetson.

Hello All,
I bought an Open Road style Penny's Marathon a while back, and I'm curious about how the "wind trolley" works. This hat has one, and it's all nicely wrapped around the hat and button...but how would one use it on a windy day? And then get it back in place?
Thanks so much!

RBH

Bartender

Mystic

Practically Family
I'd have to see the rest of the hat- dating off one detail alone is unreliable, but I would say '70s on the 4X stetson.

I don't have a specific hat to date just looking for time frame info on Stetson use of black sweatband and this silver logo and what the quality of the felt would be for this 4x designation.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Again, hard to say from a single detail, as sometimes individual bits and pieces that are used for dating hats (sweatbands, liners, size tags, etc.) make their way into production after the point at which they are generally not used. That is to say, sometimes a batch of older style liners would turn up and be put in hats with newer style sweatbands, or whatever the combination is. That said, I'm sticking to the '70s dating.

I've never really cared for Stetson's 4X felt from that era. Not as good as earlier 3X. Still better than later 4X, but that can depend hat to hat. I've had some '80s 4X Stetsons in a wider brim cowboy model where the felt is absolute garbage. So, again, I'd have to see the rest of the hat, but a 4X of that era probably is a perfectly workable fur felt. Still, given the choice, I'd go for an earlier, better felt.

TPD166

One Too Many
Follow-up to my earlier post for info on a Resistol "15" - which concluded it was likely the price. I now have the hat and I am trying to narrow down how old it is. Other than the "15" there are no X markings to indicate quality (based on my other Resistols it seems to be most like a 3X, maybe a 4X), it is marked "BR" for Byer-Rolnick, putting it pre-1968, and has a red liner - most of the other westerns I have seen have a white lining, and I have one from the early 1970s that has a brown liner. I have seen one or two FL discussions mention red Resistol liners, but nothing as dates or era. To save space, I only posted the liner and sweat pics - the hat is otherwise a silverbelly rancher/cattleman.

I am guessing this is an early to mid-60s. I will also post in the Resistol Round-Up to see if anyone over there has any information.
rESISTOLLINING1.jpg

rESISTOLLINING2.jpg

rESISTOLLINING3.jpg

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Greetings,All,

When was the Key Club Imperial Stetson offered? I'm guessing the 1960's, judging by the style. Thanks for any clues or info. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

m0nk

One Too Many
Greetings,All,

When was the Key Club Imperial Stetson offered? I'm guessing the 1960's, judging by the style. Thanks for any clues or info. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Are you looking to date the entire model or a specific hat? If it's the latter, one route you could go is to browse the Stetson dating threads; there are two. One is dedicated to dating a hat by liner, and the other by sizing tag. If the original liner and size tag are still in the hat you're researching, you could certainly find the era it was produced in one of these two threads.

Liner:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32679-Dating-Vintage-Stetsons-by-Liner-A-Field-Guide

Size Tag:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?46483-Dating-Vintage-Stetsons-by-size-tag

There is also a sticky for general vintage hat dating discussion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran