Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

g.durand

One Too Many
xbeatles4x--I would recommend going with a size 60. Your measurement indicates you're between sizes, so best to go to the larger size. I'm also between sizes and I always size up to the next larger size. Almost everyone here says their Akubras shrink somewhat, and that's been my experience, too. If you buy from Hats Direct they will send sizing strips, which work quite well. Or you can do what Landman recommends and use felt strips. I've had good results with those, too. Use those, and if the hat shrinks a bit you can get rid of them.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
How much of an everyday hat is the akubra adventurer. i was looking it up and I am concerned that the brim is just too big.

Edit: I think I will go with the original plan of a fed4 in tawny fawn.

Last edited:

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
I ended up passing on the adventurer. I really wanted a fed 4.

I also emailed hatsdirect and finally arrived at a conclusion. The fed4 runs on average a half size small. So I should get a 60cm from them in the fed4. I should probably stick with 59 with everything else since it is that close. I am a 59.3 ish.

Qvist

Familiar Face
As I have posted before I own a modern Stetson Chatham. Well, I got the brim wet the other day (don´t ask how) and it shrunk in to a bell like shape. I figured that I could make the whole hat shrink evenly by getting the whole thing wet. As it is, or was, one step too big for me the shrinking would not be a bad thing. So I got the whole hat wet... Now the hat does not fit at all! Its about 3 sizes smaller than before and therefore ruined. The swet band is probably cardboard or something like it and it broke in two when I tried to pull the hat on my head. So there goes my hard earned money... I would say that a modern Stetson is a decent hat as long as you dont let it get in contact with water.

So I desided to get a proper hat and as I understand an Akubra would be a safe bet. I´m just wondering which one would suit me and my big face better, Fed IV or Campdraft... Are those two hats similarly dimensioned or are there some differenses to be noted, other than the ribbon? How high are the crowns in open crown? Is the Fed IV less tapered or are they the same? Please educate me :)

And if anyone wants to sell a size 7 1/2 wintage hat I might be interested :)

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mikko - sadly shrinkage on modern hats is a big problem.

The FedIV has a dimensional brim (slightly slimmer on the side) and the small difference is quite noticeable. Neither are very tapered, but I think without checking the specs the Fed is very slightly taller and slightly squarer.

I think either would suit you (also consider the Squatter).

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Where can I get hat stretchers in specific sizes?

My first felt fedora apparently shrank and now squeezes my Long Oval head. At one point, I found a thread in the archives (but now can't find it anymore), in which there was a consensus that using a hat stretcher of one size smaller, is effective in reforming standard oval hats into Long Ovals. That means I'd probably need one in size 7. A problem for me though has simply been finding hat stretchers that are specific sizes. All I seem to find are for long ranges of sizes. Does anyone have a source for what I need?

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I've seen a number of photos recently of the Stetson Playboy in the What hat are you wearing thread. From the photos, it looks fairly similar to my VS Wanderer. What were the major differences between the Playboy and the Stetson Wanderer?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
How would I get a band block made to the exact shape of my head? Also, how would I utilize it?

I'm not sure if Art offers just a band block if you don't buy a hat. Although it doesn't hurt to ask the man, certainly.

Art has a conformer, which is a big plastic oval, with a series of contact points for your head. You fit the conformer loosely over your head and adjust all the contact points to fit. What results is an outline of your exact headshape which Art then traces out to use as a template. A band block is just a piece of wood, about the width of a sweatband, which is cut to the template of your head. You simply insert it into the hat while you're not wearing it.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
I just purchased my first real hat. Akubra Fed 4 Heritage Fawn.

pics from seller.

apaNBgJ.jpg

95CG7CQ.jpg

Stanna

New in Town
I've searched Google (that's how I found this site) for a way to clean sweat stains out of a fedora that is 75% polyester and 25% viscose (rayon).
I've seen instructions for other fabric and when I do find something for this fabric it always ends with putting it in the washer after to clean out the cleaning solution. So it's only for that type of fabric and not about a hat made of that fabric.

Can someone help me, I like my fedora, i've always wanted one, it's my first, that's why it's not an expensive one. I'm not a "cap" person. People like my fedora so of course my wife hates it. My boys (11 & 8) have given up caps and have their own fedoras.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Piggy backing off of his question how does one clean a fur felt hat. I think I asked about a dry cleaning but that was advised against.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic