Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Disney was an independent company, but someone else made their hats. Until the early 1940s buyout by Lee, their hats were made by Crofut & Knapp/Hat Corporation of America.

Brad

Purplesage

One Too Many
More great info Brad. So I can assume that the hat I posted would likely have been made in the early 40s after the buyout by Lee. Since the Disney logo says they were founded in 1885. Did they ever make their own hats or were they made by Crofut & Knapp/HCA. Since the earlier Disney hats were made by C&K/HCA then maybe you should include Disney hats, at least the pre-Lee ones, in the HCA block profile thread along with C&K, Dobbs, Cavanagh, Knox!

photo2-233_zps00c7c9a0.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
More great info Brad. So I can assume that the hat I posted would likely have been made in the early 40s after the buyout by Lee. Since the Disney logo says they were founded in 1885. Did they ever make their own hats or were they made by Crofut & Knapp/HCA. Since the earlier Disney hats were made by C&K/HCA then maybe you should include Disney hats, at least the pre-Lee ones, in the HCA block profile thread along with C&K, Dobbs, Cavanagh, Knox!

Their relationship goes back to at least 1889. In 1924 Disney acknowledged that their relationship with C&K for production went back 35 years, so that puts it about 1889. If they weren't making Disney hats at the very beginning, they were pretty close.

Best assumption is 1950s. You'll be right 90% of the time.

+1 :)

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hello, all. I am making my own hat liners and want to use the clear plastic tip liner to avoid stains to the new logo. Does anyone know what type of plastic is used and where I can purchase it? Thanks in advance for the information.

Cellophane would be a good choice. Much of what is referred to as cellophane today is actually Biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) which has many of the same characteristics, but is plastic rather than a cellulose product.

fedoracentric

Banned
You guys could be right. In all the years I've been watching ebay for hats I've only seen a handful of white fedoras. Heck, I've not seen that many more white cowboy hats, even from decades newer than the 60s.
I do have a white fedora (a more modern age one, not "that" vintage), and it isn't that easy to find what to wear with it, either. In dress up clothes, it seems a bit too flashy, for one.

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
does anyone know anything about park royal milans?
i got one from ebay and i found a tag that said made in taiwan in it and i was wondering how to soften the brim to shape it?
steam and water didnt work
thanks for any and all info
charlie

$_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).jpg $_57 (3).jpg $_57 (4).jpg $_57 (5).jpg

Attachments

• $_14.JPG
    $_14.JPG
    1,001 bytes · Views: 339
  • $_14 (2).JPG
    $_14 (2).JPG
    1.2 KB · Views: 333
  • $_14 (3).JPG
    $_14 (3).JPG
    875 bytes · Views: 344
  • $_14 (4).JPG
    $_14 (4).JPG
    1 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

dutchroo

New in Town
Newbie hat guy here. I'd like to find out how old my hat is (just for curiosity's sake). It's a Knox Comet 4 (see pix below). I've looked around the forum a bit and have some ideas, but no definite answers.

Backstory: I visited Optimo in Chicago this winter and fell in love with hats. Unfortunately, the Budget Mistress does not share this affinity, so I knew I'd have to keep my eyes open for a deal on eBay. Last week this paid off, and I'm the proud owner of a vintage hat that looks and feels at least the equal of the hat I tried on at Optimo.

Here are the pics for your reference:
%2524_57+%25281%2529.jpg

%2524_57+%25285%2529.jpg

%2524_57+%25283%2529.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara