Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
bigger:

knoxad.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Alan! I've been working my way through each year of the archive to identify the various hat ads, but it's a long process.

I've been giving some more thought to the ad and the hat, and I'm thinking the Custom is just a higher quality version. The ad doesn't mention Custom, and I can't find any references to Knox Custom hats outside of the Custom Edge, which is obviously something different. The oilskin tip protector was used on the higher-priced hats, as Dutchroo has.

Brad

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I love the deep knowledge here; the primary sources make me giddy. Rusty, Brad, Alan--thank you for keeping the standards high!

Bowlerman, I use Picasa through gmail. As long as I use the non-G+ version! sharing links to individual pictures is really straight-forward.

A

dutchroo

New in Town
I love the deep knowledge here; the primary sources make me giddy. Rusty, Brad, Alan--thank you for keeping the standards high!

A

I have to agree. I feel like an amateur archaeologist stumbling onto a find of a lifetime. When I first asked how old my hat might be, I would have been satisfied with "early 1960s;" instead I received the reasoning for why that date is accurate. Plus a little about the jetliners of the British Airways. Plus an advertisement from the New Yorker backing that up. Plus a community of like-minded people who are more than happy to share their knowledge.

When does the giving stop?!?!

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hello all, Can anyone out there tell me the crown block number (51, 52, ?) that was used for the older Stetson Stratoliners? I like the straight sides with little or no taper. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hello all, Can anyone out there tell me the crown block number (51, 52, ?) that was used for the older Stetson Stratoliners? I like the straight sides with little or no taper. Thanks in advance for your responses.

The early 1940s Stratoliner shows 122 as the block number. Open, the crown shows tapered sides, but the crown is tall enough to present a straight sided profile when creased.

viclip

Practically Family
RE: "Short Balding Guy"
For some reason I thought of Eric a few minutes ago & realized that for some time now I hadn't seen his daily posts. I hope everything's alright, I recall that he had been recovering from a serious MVA.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Here is Eric's reply.

Good evening Ed. All is well -just very busy. Life in the gymnastics world has been very demanding the last months. I will start checking back in April when things calm down. I hope all is well with yourself and the regular, stallwoth characters of the Fedora Lounge. I do miss all of the folks. Pass my best to folks. Best, Eric-

Landman

One Too Many
Is Optimo the only option for a true silverbelly fedora? (Belly fur, not dye)

Art Fawcett offers a felt called "Natural". I don't know if it truly is natural or a dyed color though. You might ask Art or post the question in his thread. It is a Winchester felt. I have one and it is more of a darker gray than what I would consider a Silverbelly color. It is a very nice color though.

viclip

Practically Family
Here is Eric's reply.

Good evening Ed. All is well -just very busy. Life in the gymnastics world has been very demanding the last months. I will start checking back in April when things calm down. I hope all is well with yourself and the regular, stallwoth characters of the Fedora Lounge. I do miss all of the folks. Pass my best to folks. Best, Eric-

Good news is welcome news, thx Ed for the follow-up

Is Optimo the only option for a true silverbelly fedora? (Belly fur, not dye)

I know Winchester made some special order true, undyed, pure belly fur felt bodies for a Western hatter, VERY nice!
Optimo sources their bodies from Fepsa Felt. I assume other hatters can source those pure belly fur felt bodies as well.
Winchester makes an undyed 100% beaver felt body but is not exclusively belly fur.

I'm sure this information is available somewhere here on The Lounge, but I used the search feature, read through some threads, and didn't find a clear-cut answer.

Generally speaking, what are the advantages of beaver felt over rabbit felt? Is it simply an aesthetic matter, i.e. it's softer and looks and feels better? Or is it a practical matter, i.e. more durable and more water resistant? Or a combination of both?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic