Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hello gentlemen!

My boyfriend has been desperate for a chic hat (something in the vein of a Fedora) lately, but since he has a rather small head and slim face everything seems a bit overpowering and large. Any advice?

Generally speaking there's an "adjustment period" when wearing hats when everything you wear feels like a giant 10 gallon hat.

Luckily for your boyfriend, smaller proportions and more tapered crowns are the lion's share of modern, production fedoras. The best advice is to go visit a hat shop and try on a bunch of hats. Ebay is a particularly good place for smaller sizes, and he can quickly build a collection if he has a small head (6 7/8 for example, is a size that is very commonly found for very cheap on ebay).

For reference, here's a common variation on the matching guides of yesteryear (though I happen to think that things are a bit more flexible than these 'rules' allow):
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/28/the-perfect-hat-for-your-ugly-mug/

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TheSacredFemme -

Jared's point about an adjustment period is well made, and I agree the guides on face/head types are a little too prescriptive.

The UK isn't well equipped with hat shops but there are a few out there. Whereabouts in England are you?

Trying on a hat or two is probably best for his first purchase, but once he has a reasonable idea of what he likes with a small head he's in a great position to look online. Shipping and import costs from the US can add up, but both Germany and Italy are great sources of hats at good prices.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the advise, gentlemen!

I am based around Bournemouth, but am originally from Germany so perhaps we'll have a poke around next time we visit my parents.

TheSacredFemme -

Jared's point about an adjustment period is well made, and I agree the guides on face/head types are a little too prescriptive.

The UK isn't well equipped with hat shops but there are a few out there. Whereabouts in England are you?

Trying on a hat or two is probably best for his first purchase, but once he has a reasonable idea of what he likes with a small head he's in a great position to look online. Shipping and import costs from the US can add up, but both Germany and Italy are great sources of hats at good prices.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Whats up guys

Anyone know if there is a way of removing a grease smell from hats?
I've steamed them all brushed them several times but, although not a pungent it still remains.

Cheers

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Whats up guys

Anyone know if there is a way of removing a grease smell from hats?
I've steamed them all brushed them several times but, although not a pungent it still remains.

Cheers

I've got a similar problem with smoke odor on a couple of hats I recently acquired. I have tried putting the hats in bags with crumpled up newspaper for a few days and it seems to be helping. Not sure if that would help with a grease smell. Good luck!

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've used both bicarbonate of soda and talcum powder - both work well, but over here it's not easy to find unscented talc and the scent can linger...

I'm sure it was described in the scientific hat making book seen around here. It's not the flaming process that Bob of Blacksheep says is luring. Art F. knows exactly what it is, as I have discussed it with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran