Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I'm sure this information is available somewhere here on The Lounge, but I used the search feature, read through some threads, and didn't find a clear-cut answer.

Generally speaking, what are the advantages of beaver felt over rabbit felt? Is it simply an aesthetic matter, i.e. it's softer and looks and feels better? Or is it a practical matter, i.e. more durable and more water resistant? Or a combination of both?

Generally speaking, beaver fur fibers felt tighter than rabbit due to the physical structure of the fur fiber. They have more "barbs" so they lock together tighter, making the resulting felt more durable & water resistant....

facade

A-List Customer
Truthfully

I'm sure this information is available somewhere here on The Lounge, but I used the search feature, read through some threads, and didn't find a clear-cut answer.

Generally speaking, what are the advantages of beaver felt over rabbit felt? Is it simply an aesthetic matter, i.e. it's softer and looks and feels better? Or is it a practical matter, i.e. more durable and more water resistant? Or a combination of both?

Its neither. Beaver is about status. Beaver is purportedly stronger and more weather resistent which is basically irrelevent. The vast majority of us who spend $300 - $1000 on a beaver fedora aren't buying it for daily wear. The hat is far more likely to be babied then expected to be a workhorse. So why beaver when you can get a perfectly lovely hat made from rabbit? Status. Those with money to spend want something a little better than the average Joe and are willing to pay for it. Even if the special quality serves no purpose or in truth may not even exist. So long as its perceived to be of higher quality, thats good enough.

dutchroo

New in Town
Its neither. Beaver is about status. Beaver is purportedly stronger and more weather resistent which is basically irrelevent. The vast majority of us who spend $300 - $1000 on a beaver fedora aren't buying it for daily wear. The hat is far more likely to be babied then expected to be a workhorse. So why beaver when you can get a perfectly lovely hat made from rabbit? Status. Those with money to spend want something a little better than the average Joe and are willing to pay for it. Even if the special quality serves no purpose or in truth may not even exist. So long as its perceived to be of higher quality, thats good enough.
And thank you Sir, also the type of answer I was looking for, and I consider your answer equally as valid and valuable to me as gtdean48's. I suspect the true answer is that it's a matter of the wearer's preferences--some like rabbit felt, others prefer beaver felt.

Aside from simple curiosity, the main reason I asked the question in the first place is because I wear my hats casually; as much for sun and rain protection as because I like the way they look. I don't abuse them, but I don't baby them either, and I wouldn't want to own a hat I'd have to worry about if I got caught in one of those rain storms we occasionally experience in this part of California. So far all of my hats have been Akubras--rabbit felts which are known for their durability. But that's going to change in the next month or so and, realizing all felts are not created equal, if rabbit felt will meet my needs I can save myself a few bucks.

DanO

One of the Regulars
Still new to The Lounge, there appears to be a vast amount of hat knowledge here, so here goes.
Looking at what appears to be a Dobbs Florentine Milan Winner.
Looks kind of yellowish or possibly natural in color.
Black band(Puggaree?) around it, Dobbs pin.
The edge of the brim is trimmed in what appears to be a Gray edging, sorry I do not know the correct terminology.
Anyone venture a guess on vintage or value?

Mr.Astor

Banned
Welcome DanO- my experience is that all straw's age to a darker patina. If the hat is marked a Milan and is a Dobbs it's worth pursuing. If you can keep it between $40.00 to $80.00 sweatband intact not a bad deal in my IMHO! Again welcome,it's all trial and error,you'll learn quickly here!

Denton

One of the Regulars
I just received an interesting new hat made by the Palco firm. It has a number of unusual features, which I will try to document in the "post new hats" thread tomorrow afternoon. My question has to do with the felt. I can't confidently identify the felt -- it might have some wool in it, or it might be all wool, or it might be one of the plasti-felt experiments. Or it could be mainly or entirely fur felt. I just haven't encountered anything else like it.

Here is my question. If the hat turns out to be wool or synthetic, would it be okay to give it some steam? It isn't in clean condition, so I would like to try steaming and brushing, but I don't want to do anything that would destroy the hat.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since it was a live auction on Ebay I did not want to post it but they took my offer for $50 delivered.
Here is the link I think I did alright, if anyone looks at the pictures and can give me an estimate of vintage I would appreciate it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141220140258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks to All
Dan O

Hi Dan O - it's either a current or very recent model. Florentine Milan in name, but essentially plastic straw. They're a little shiny looking and nothing like a natural straw Milan, but do have the advantage that you can wear them in the rain without adverse effects. You've probably paid about 2/3rds current new cost so you've got an okay deal in that respect. A 'straw' hat you can wear in the rain isn't a bad thing to have in your collection (well living in the UK it isn't :) ).

fedoracentric

Banned
Here is my question. If the hat turns out to be wool or synthetic, would it be okay to give it some steam? It isn't in clean condition, so I would like to try steaming and brushing, but I don't want to do anything that would destroy the hat.

Steam won't hurt wool, but wool doesn't respond the same way to it that fur felt does. Steam doesn't loosen wool then allow it to set in place as well as steam does to fur felt. And, as always, try to keep steam away from a leather sweatband. It can destroy the leather.

Keep steam away from wool, period! Wool is always washed in cold water, so same applies for wool hats. Spraying with cold, distilled water for shaping in one thing. Steaming is good for fur felt but bad for wool felt.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Hello gentlemen!

My boyfriend has been desperate for a chic hat (something in the vein of a Fedora) lately, but since he has a rather small head and slim face everything seems a bit overpowering and large. Any advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran