Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
1960s based on sweatband (leather type, width, stamping).

Stetson Royal DeLuxe is the quality designation. It's one step up from the entry level Stetson Royal, or $12.50 instead of $10.00 for the early post-war years through 1950s. I'm not sure if prices had changed already in the 1960s.
Model names are actually the exception, so it's not unusual for this hat to have no model name.

FYI, model names were often (not always) coupled with quality designations - for instance, Whippets are Royal, Vogues are Royal Deluxe; ORs can be anything from Royal Deluxe over 3X to 100.

As for size, the inside circumference in inches divided by the number pi equals the U.S. hat size. You can cross-check the circumference by measuring the length and width of the oval, then entering the numbers into one of the online ellipse calculators to obtain the circumference.

Here's an ellipse calculator:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html

By the way Donna, thanks again for that 1940s pinstripe DB suit. It's magnificent and fits perfectly.

Thanks for the excellent info, and you're very welcome for the suit!

Early 60's, based on the partly torn-off keyhole price tag(?)

A very fast - but surprisingly accurate - method to get the size is as follows: Measure length and width of head-opening. Add the two numbers and divide the result by two.

You can also tape a piece of masking tape around the sweatband - lift it off - and measure it's length.

Or you can use a tape-measure, made from thin, flexible steel. That's a lot easier to control along the sweatband than one made from cloth.

The masking tape trick is an excellent idea.

Also the liner is missing.

Yes, I had noticed that. :) For some reason, most of the hats I find are missing the liners.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Hello,
I picked up a very nice Open Road that turned out to be too small for me so my wife will wear it.
-one problem is the hat has a musty smell inside that I cannot get rid of.
-any suggestions on getting rid of musty smell?
Thank you,
Mike A

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Hello,
I picked up a very nice Open Road that turned out to be too small for me so my wife will wear it.
Thank you,
Mike A

A day out in the sunshine may be very helpful. It works well in dealing with the "old" smell of vintage clothing.

Hello,
Thank you,
Mike A

Put it in a plastic trash bag with crumpled newspapers for 2-3 days, sealed up tight.
If that doesn't work, get some talcum powder, coat the hat very well, rub in gently with finger tips, brush off....HTH

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In theory nothing should be used in light (natural or artificial) with UV-components, if you completely want to avoid fading. On the other hand, hats were made to be used. On hats from the 20s-50s you'll see only very slight fading, if you look behind the crown-ribbon - but then many of them have been worn for several thousand days. Light shouldn't scare you, and a hat can only be appreciated and enjoyed out of it's box ;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
On the topic of fading; I just picked up a few thin ribbons at auction and one of the two appears to have sported a standard ribbon for an extended period of time as there is a band of discoloration that wraps itself around the entire crown

8228BD41-1F12-4866-883E-9877E35F58BB.jpg

78E21C6B-0A2D-4B51-890F-C8C3FF31FBB6.jpg

My question is do you think there's anything that can be done to even the color out (eg extended sun exposure) or is this due for a thicker ribbon (again)?

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
What model is the hat? Does the banding line up with the sweatband (same width)?

It's a Dobb's Westward. I will have to check to see but both may very well be the same widths. Do you think perhaps the leather sweat band may have leeched color onto the felt?

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It's a Dobb's Westward. I will have to check to see but both may very well be the same widths. Do you think perhaps the leather sweat band may have leeched color onto the felt?

Then the hat was "born" with a thin ribbon, and I'm pretty sure, the ribbon never was changed. The one in the picture looks original to me.

What the reason for the banding is hard to say. Had it been sunlight, I would have expected the crown to be light above a theoretical wide ribbon - and dark behind it. It could be some treatment of the sweatband with a substance, harmful to felt ... or it could be a result of stretching the hat ... or it could be something else. It's almost impossible to guess with only one picture :)

sola fide

One of the Regulars
In theory nothing should be used in light (natural or artificial) with UV-components, if you completely want to avoid fading. On the other hand, hats were made to be used. On hats from the 20s-50s you'll see only very slight fading, if you look behind the crown-ribbon - but then many of them have been worn for several thousand days. Light shouldn't scare you, and a hat can only be appreciated and enjoyed out of it's box ;)
I have learned to no longer buy things just to have them, but I have learned their are better ways to care for stuff while you have it.
Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.
Mike A

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I have learned to no longer buy things just to have them, but I have learned their are better ways to care for stuff while you have it

Yes, things were made for a purpose. That should be respected. The worst example I know of is the masterpiece of master violin builder Antonio Stradivari - "The Messiah". It's build in the 1716, but has been played only a few times. Today it's on display in a museum in Oxford, and still noone is allowed to play the instrument. What a total waist of out-of-this-World master skills!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana