Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
I have searched and would love a once and for all answer, does wearing hair product hurt a fedora? I don't want my groom and clean or brillcreem to hurt an expensive vintage strat but I always fix my hair for work. I have noticed that I do get some of the hair product on the band but that wipes off easily with my handkerchief

I personally use both of those products (sparingly) and have not noticed it affecting my hat. I don't generally wear my hat all day if I'm styling my hair, as the hat will mess up the styling, so if I will be in a situation where I want to wear my hat for a prolonged period of time, like on a trip, I won't put product in my hair. On mornings when I head in to work with styled hair, I just carry my hat because the sun isn't up yet anyway. That gives my hair a chance to dry a little (or at least that's the idea). So far, the hat I've been wearing the last year doesn't appear the worse for it.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'll be posting more pics on the D'acquino thread, but while I wait to hear back from Luisa I thought I'd ask you experts. The hat is beautiful, but it seems to have been damaged in shipping. Likely the cardboard insert has dug into the topside of the brim and left some "wounds" - shallow scratches, but with a couple of fairly deep divots too. See attached pics.

So my question is twofold. First - is a "newborn" felt hat likely to heal? Will the felt spring back and these depressions disappear on their own? I tried brushing, to no avail. And the second question is, what would you do if it was your purchase? It's a bit of a tough call for me, honestly.

View attachment 25681
View attachment 25682
View attachment 25681 View attachment 25683

What a shame! "I hate when that happens..." :( If u can live with it as is w/o it ever "correcting" itself do so. If not u may want to ask for a discount. I've gotten some absolutely fantastic price reductions on blemished and imperfect hats. If u cant live with it, absolutely send it back and the maker should pay for return shipping.

I'll be posting more pics on the D'acquino thread, but while I wait to hear back from Luisa I thought I'd ask you experts. The hat is beautiful, but it seems to have been damaged in shipping. Likely the cardboard insert has dug into the topside of the brim and left some "wounds" - shallow scratches, but with a couple of fairly deep divots too. See attached pics.

So my question is twofold. First - is a "newborn" felt hat likely to heal? Will the felt spring back and these depressions disappear on their own? I tried brushing, to no avail. And the second question is, what would you do if it was your purchase? It's a bit of a tough call for me, honestly.
Usually, steaming then brushing while still warm will "fluff" the felt fibers back up, when brushing alone won't raise the nap.
I've known folks to "fluff" the felt fibers with a needle or pin.

therookie

New in Town
I am not sure if I wasn't supposed to make a thread on its own for my question, but I'll just post it in here as well.

Hi TFL members I'm a newbie here and just getting my feet wet in the "hat game." I seen this hat maybe 4 months ago and I mean asked/looked everywhere ... even went as far as asking professional stylists if they could help me in finding this and no luck. I am not sure if it was made by a specific designer or just was limited made, but it would surely make my day if any of you can give me any help/details/tips on where I could find this hat. I am in love with it and I have to have it!!!

https://instagram.com/p/ueOOyYzHpt/?modal=true

(and yeah I tried messaging him and asking him what brand it was already, but no response :-( )

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's a really cheap looking hat, made to look like it has a milan crown and a panama brim. In this case, I'm guessing the crown is paper and the brim is polypropylene. I'm google image searching
two tone straw hat
to see if I can find something similar

within the same general idea, this is considerably nicer
http://www.hats-plus.com/p-1238-biltmore-two-tone-milan-pinch-straw-hat.aspx

as is this
http://www.hats-plus.com/p-122-biltmore-two-tone-pork-pie-straw-hat.aspx

Within this price range, all of these are going to be either very low quality straw, plastic-coated paper or just some form of plastic

Last edited:

therookie

New in Town
That's a really cheap looking hat, made to look like it has a milan crown and a panama brim. In this case, I'm guessing the crown is paper and the brim is polypropylene. I'm google image searching
two tone straw hat
to see if I can find something similar

I liked the design of it, that's what mainly attracted me to it. I tried looking up 2 strand, and it gave me other colors but nothing too similar to it or the hat itself. Searched on ebay, etsy, shopstyle, etc.

thanks for your help though

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I get two-tone straw and two-tone felt, but heavy, durable felt with water-fearing wimpy straw has never made any sense to me. Plus, shaping a straw brim to my liking is one of the pleasures of a straw hat. That design is all form and no function.

ingineer

One Too Many
I get two-tone straw and two-tone felt, but heavy, durable felt with water-fearing wimpy straw has never made any sense to me. Plus, shaping a straw brim to my liking is one of the pleasures of a straw hat. That design is all form and no function.
True, but we all have different tastes, i am one of the well brimmed western wearers usually, but i think the OP would rather like a semi-flamboyant hat made to his tastes; stingy brim and all.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
different strokes...
I'm not much for dada
italian-inventor-useless-inventions-from-useful-objects17.jpg

ingineer

One Too Many
LOL
Here you go

The point i was trying to make is if you can't find what you want, go to one of the makers here and end up with quality.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Usually, steaming then brushing while still warm will "fluff" the felt fibers back up, when brushing alone won't raise the nap.
I've known folks to "fluff" the felt fibers with a needle or pin.

Thanks, Dean and Bob. I'm going to buy a brush and try steaming it (carefully) later today.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
It was unstuck because it was seldom used, as can be seen by all the questions asked on the front page.

I don't buy that, there were 130 posts in February alone.

And, anyway, the more 'answers' to questions collected by a thread like this, the more useful it becomes as a resource, so it helps to be able to find it. Newbies won't know to look for it and as a result will start endless threads of their own, probably repeating questions already asked and answered.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
agreed. all of the nonsense on page 1 that has a one or two post answer should always just get merged here or in the Introduction thread. nearly every post by a newbie belongs in one of the two (or one of those damn akubra threads)

Last edited:
Happy birthday Rusty!

I'm not understanding the strategy here. This thread is the fifth most viewed and the fifth most replied to in the hat section and one of only six with more than one million views. I think having it located at the top, along with the Post New Hats Here thread would help new visitors and minimize the clutter, especially if combined with a Read This Before Posting sticky. I know we've been there and done that and not everyone will pay attention. But it is better with than without. IMO.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
An inquiry about custom hats. The inquiry is intended for individuals who have purchased custom hats via the internet/phone/mail AND in person from a custom hatter.
Which hat do you feel turned out best and which do you wear the most? Do you feel the custom hat that you were present for in person turned out better than the one you received based only on "long" distance communication? (I used long distance because I am not sure of a better way to phrase what I am thinking of. )

I have been struck with curiosity once more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24