Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
An inquiry about custom hats. The inquiry is intended for individuals who have purchased custom hats via the internet/phone/mail AND in person from a custom hatter.
Which hat do you feel turned out best and which do you wear the most? Do you feel the custom hat that you were present for in person turned out better than the one you received based only on "long" distance communication? (I used long distance because I am not sure of a better way to phrase what I am thinking of. )

I have been struck with curiosity once more.

I've bought 1 custom hat that was ordered in person at the booth in OKC from Shorty's Caboy Hattery.
All the others, from 5 different custom hatters, have been via long distance = phone & email.
The one in person was no better fitting or better experience than those done remotely.
By virtue of the type of felt bodies available (ArtLite & Nutria blend), I have bought 7 customs from Art Fawcett.
His conformer devise has nailed the fit of my noggin every time.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I've bought 1 custom hat that was ordered in person at the booth in OKC from Shorty's Caboy Hattery.
All the others, from 5 different custom hatters, have been via long distance = phone & email.
The one in person was no better fitting or better experience than those done remotely.
By virtue of the type of felt bodies available (ArtLite & Nutria blend), I have bought 7 customs from Art Fawcett.
His conformer devise has nailed the fit of my noggin every time.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. :)

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Hello,

I am going to buy a couple of Stetson Stratoliner Fedora Milan Straw, to use them when I dont want to risk my Panamas.

Have some questions about those and maybe some of you own it and can help me with this issues.

1.- Does it fit true to size? My Stetson Panamas always fit more snug than the Stetson Fur Felt Ones.

2.- Looking at the real hat does the brim look small? Normally I like 2 3/4 " brims and this one is 2 1/2.

3.- What about the quality?

4.- I am thinking about Sand and Grey, but I have some issues with the grey looking cheap.

Any feedback will be appreciated !!

Have a nice weekend

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hello,

I am going to buy a couple of Stetson Stratoliner Fedora Milan Straw, to use them when I dont want to risk my Panamas.

Have some questions about those and maybe some of you own it and can help me with this issues.

1.- Does it fit true to size? My Stetson Panamas always fit more snug than the Stetson Fur Felt Ones.

2.- Looking at the real hat does the brim look small? Normally I like 2 3/4 " brims and this one is 2 1/2.

3.- What about the quality?

4.- I am thinking about Sand and Grey, but I have some issues with the grey looking cheap.

Any feedback will be appreciated !!

Have a nice weekend
Did you consider a Stetson '47? Shantung straw for under $100. Grade 8 Panama for around $150. 2 and 3/4 in brim. High crown. Thin ribbon. You may like it.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Is the Akubra Federation in Moonstone Grey considered a lightweight felt. Will this hat be suitable for summer wear? Example: 30 to 40 degree celcius. I have an ushanka for extreme cold, I now need something that will protect me for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Hi gents,

Which hat for wearing casually with a biker jacket (Lewis Leathers Super Monza)?

I'm thinking some kind of grey panel cap - my fedoras just look a bit too pop-star wannabe with the biker jacket.

Is the Akubra Federation in Moonstone Grey considered a lightweight felt. Will this hat be suitable for summer wear? Example: 30 to 40 degree celcius. I have an ushanka for extreme cold, I now need something that will protect me for the rest of the year.

Not to me. Fed4 is regular dress weight fur felt. I have a featherweight custom that is vented from VS, a couple actually.
They get called to duty in the warmer months. Fed4 & Campdrafts get put away.....

ingineer

One Too Many
Hi gents,

Which hat for wearing casually with a biker jacket (Lewis Leathers Super Monza)?

I'm thinking some kind of grey panel cap - my fedoras just look a bit too pop-star wannabe with the biker jacket.
like this?

The Brando cap is iconic, cheap and great quality from here:
http://sterkowski.com/99-vintage-biker-duty
Of course a leather flat cap worn backwards works well esp if you wear colours.
Want something Chistofor Street (whanabe) here:
http://wildrecordsusa.com/motorcycle-hats

Not a Biker just a motorcycle enthusiast, AMA lifetime

Aether

One of the Regulars
like this?

The Brando cap is iconic, cheap and great quality from here:
http://sterkowski.com/99-vintage-biker-duty
Of course a leather flat cap worn backwards works well esp if you wear colours.
Want something Chistofor Street (whanabe) here:
http://wildrecordsusa.com/motorcycle-hats

Not a Biker just a motorcycle enthusiast, AMA lifetime

Nice! Looks good on you.

I'd forgotten about the Brando cap, and Sterkowski are only in Poland so no duties to the UK. I think that's a winner.

Cheers ingineer!

Not to me. Fed4 is regular dress weight fur felt. I have a featherweight custom that is vented from VS, a couple actually.
They get called to duty in the warmer months. Fed4 & Campdrafts get put away.....
I agree; the Fed IVs and Campdrafts are not what I'd consider lightweight felts. I still wear mine year-round anyway, even in temperatures like what you mentioned APP Adrian, because I'd rather wash perspiration off than have more skin cancer cut off of me.

Cheviot

New in Town
Hello all,
I recently purchased a circa 1936 Dobbs fur felt homburg. The leather sweatband itself is fine, but the stitching holding it in place has failed. Can the original be reattached, or must it be replaced?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Squatter I had from Australia was a featherweight. It is a different level than Imperial & Heritage. I think it is Superfine.(listed that way on EA site)
This is different from Squatters by DM.

Was seriously considering a Squatter w factory telescope/porkpie bash from EA. Getting the impression that it's a softer lighter felt than the Squatter offered by David Morgan. TRUE? I believe that the Squatter from EA has a crown height that is actually lower than DM's. Is that also true? TY for info.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner