Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I need an opinion

I'll be doing some traveling soon .... the sort of traveling where a hat box or hat carrier will definitely be a bit of a hassle

I need a nice packable hat

of these two which would you chose ?

.... or if you have another to recommend that would be great as well

http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/clearance/products/the-sterling-more-colors

http://www.jjhatcenter.com/products/the-stetson-traveler

I'm pretty sure the Traveler is the same hat as the Runabout .... no?

sure looks like it

Dave_G

New in Town
Howdy Folks,

I'm the type of guy that goes to estate sales and I've been getting into hats lately... for myself. I don't resell. I went to a sale about two months ago and I found this:

Click on the photo to get to my photobucket album and you can click through the pics.

I couldn't believe that this hat was in the original box, had the original receipt in the box, and the wind trolley. So, the sweatband says "Shudde Bros" and the receipt says "Lichtenstein's." What happened here?

It's a size 7. I can get it on my head but it's way too snug. I need to have it stretched one size. Took it to the local hat place and they want to put a new sweatband in it with their with their name on it. I really want to keep this hat for myself, but I feel removing the original sweatband and stretching it considering the nearly unused condition this hat is in would be a tragedy. But I love it so much it hurts to part with it.

What do you all think about this?

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Dave, please don't make the same mistake I did by taking a prized hat and entrusting it with a local "hatter". I would consult with one of the many professionals that frequent the Lounge before allowing anyone to touch the hat. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Dave_G

New in Town
if the receipt is correct and for this hat, then the hat has already been rebuilt

Vic, thanks for the response. Just a few questions. Is it possible that Lichtenstein's was selling hats supplied by Shudde Bros, or would they have had their own sweatband? What does a rebuild entail and what would warrant a rebuild?

Vic, thanks for the response. Just a few questions. Is it possible that Lichtenstein's was selling hats supplied by Shudde Bros, or would they have had their own sweatband? What does a rebuild entail and what would warrant a rebuild?

Shudde Bros would've replaced ribbon, liner & sweatband after a total tear down, cleaning & reblocking.
Possibly, new edge binding too...
Hat was bought in Corpus Christy for $100 then sometime got sent to Houston for Shudde Bros to refurb.
If you look at the back of the sweatband, it probably has a marking on it.
Originally, that hat would have Stetson 100 liner too.
Don't get the $95.50 price tag tho....

Hello, I'm new here (and to fedoras too). I was wondering, does the crown height change with different size options or does it stay the same?

Hi Gambit, and welcome. That's one of the best questions I've seen in along time; a phenomenal first post! The crown height stays the same through the size range (unless you're ordering a custom hat, where you spec the dimensions). So, a hat you like in a size 7 may look quite different in a 7-3/4. Same goes for brim widths.

TheGambit

New in Town
Hi Gambit, and welcome. That's one of the best questions I've seen in along time; a phenomenal first post! The crown height stays the same through the size range (unless you're ordering a custom hat, where you spec the dimensions). So, a hat you like in a size 7 may look quite different in a 7-3/4. Same goes for brim widths.

Great! Thank you for the help!

el_ote

Familiar Face
may be a moot point since the hats been on my head already, but what do you all use on the inside of the hat to clean before wearing a used hat bought online?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21