Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mantis

Familiar Face
What is the difference between an American cowboy hat and a fedora? Many wide brimmed fedoras seem to be labeled as cowboy hats. And should I call them Cowboy hats, is there something more specific?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Fedoras tend to be made of lighter felts than cowboy hats. Many wide brim fedoras are called cowboy hats because they have a cattleman crease (Open Roads gets that label really often) or because of the wider brim and ignorance.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you're talking about ebay listings, you're seeing those listed as cowboy hats because sellers: 1) don't have a clue; 2) are trying to get more views.

Western hats are generally larger all around. There's also "western weight" felt which is different than the felt used in dress hats (again, this is speaking VERY generally).

A western hat might be 6" or 7" open crown, at least 3.5" of brim (Joao calls that stingy). American fedoras tended to be around the 5 1/2" open crown mark with brims up to 3".

You also tend to not have wider ribbons with the bow treatment.

Mantis

Familiar Face
My Akubra Tablelands has a 4 inch brim and the felt is very stiff, sometimes it feels like I am wearing a pith helmet. Is this a fedora, or a western hat? can it be both?

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
fd0a1cf723af4a5de038153ee0af6b7d.jpg

On my CD I ended up with a sort of center crease with some deep close pinches
I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is gorgeous !!! Campdrafts are beautiful hats, mine is bg green too... will work on the bash by the weekend [emoji6]

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My Akubra Tablelands has a 4 inch brim and the felt is very stiff, sometimes it feels like I am wearing a pith helmet. Is this a fedora, or a western hat? can it be both?

Akubras are kind of a beast of their own, in that Outback hats have a distinct styling and lineage from American western hats.

The Open Road/Campdraft (which Akubra originally sold under Stetson license as the Open Road in Australia), is a cross between a fedora and a western hat.

Mantis

Familiar Face
ok thanks guys, im pitching the sides of my tablelands up like a western hat, I was asking because I wasn't sure if I should still call it a Fedora. I guess I will just call it an Akubra and leave it at that.

Mantis

Familiar Face
I heard that Cattlemen in Australia use their Akubras to water their horses, and they also sleep with them over their faces. It's no wonder why these hats have such a good reputation for the outdoors. In Bushcraft circles people say that if an object doesn't have at-least 3 uses, it isn't worth it to carry it in the bush.

Last edited:

rogerstg

A-List Customer
ok thanks guys, im pitching the sides of my tablelands up like a western hat, I was asking because I wasn't sure if I should still call it a Fedora. I guess I will just call it an Akubra and leave it at that.

As you can probably tell from the answers, there are no hard and fast rules regarding the terminology. In my section of the US, any hat with the "pickup truck" side curls in the brim would be considered a "cowboy hat" by most people. Even a hat with a 4" flat brim would normally be considered a cowboy hat; not a fedora.

Roger

Jacora

Familiar Face
I'm looking at getting an Akubra Snowy River for the love of my life as it is available in red which is her favorite color. I will have to order it from Oz with the requisite 3 month wait, so there's no going back if it's less than perfect. I am concerned that it may have a bit too much "cowboy" look to get much wear here in New England. My question is: With a bit of steam, could this hat be reshaped for down brim all the way around to reduce its cowboy profile? Is this something a novice like myself or her could likely do without too much risk of ruining the hat?

RJR

You can certainly reshape a Snowy River.I've done down brim (outback style) on one of my own.Patience,steam,steam iron and press cloth should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24