Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Belfastboy,

First, if you haven't, please read the Step-By-Step Naphtha Bath thread.

Buler is right, very few hats will require the type of cleaning you get with a naphtha bath. Try vacuuming, steaming, and brushing first. Steam and a brush will work wonders on a felt hat. As for the liner, I usually live with a little discoloration. It is, after all, an old hat that has been worn. Should you attempt to destitch and remove it, you'll never get it stitched back in unless by an experienced professional. I don't think your average seamstress can pull this off, but I may be wrong.

If you choose to go the naphtha route, leave the hat in one piece. Treat the leather sweat well with Lexol or another leather conditioner both before and after. Read the step-by-step thread, and maybe this thread started by me.

Thanks, I could not find that thread but will attempt the steaming brush first and see what comes out and only as a last resort attempt the naptha.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I find that most hats come out fine after a vacuum, brush, and steaming.

B

Same here, though recently I've added the use of a sticky lint roller after vacuuming and before brushing. Sometimes it takes several sheets, but it does a great job lifting the gritty dirt from the felt.

I have a question about hat cleaning and after a search of "hat cleaning" did not get it answered. I just picked up a vintage Borsalino in mid grey that needs a refresh. There are no stains in the felt or ribbon but overall just looks a little soiled and tired.
The liner is yellowed and even though it is stitched in may remove it give it a light wash.
Question: Would it make sense to try the Scout as a first round or plunge right in and give it naptha bath?
I am game to try the naptha but if I can do the refresh with the Scout will go that route. Should I remove the ribbon and clean that separately?
Any words from the experienced hat cleaners out there? Not opposed to sending it out to a real hatter for cleaning but, what the hell, why not learn a little bit more about hats??
Get some talcum powder & give the hat a good dusting & rub it in to the felt with your fingers & let it sit for awhile.
A good stiff brushing will get the talc out & take a lot of foreign matter with it.
For the liner, remove & soak in cold water with a bit of Woolite, hand agitated, line dry.

Thank you all for the input. I have lint rollered, steamed and brushed and the Borsa has refreshed a lot. Enough that I have abandoned the thought of a naptha bath or Scout. I have straightened the brim and am in the process of finding a bash I like. The front pinch is the problem overall. After refreshing it and getting rid of the grime it now shows that the pinch area is worn. It has quite a severe pinch and I think the owner(s) handled it in that area regularly and have worn in the severe pinch and the crease is permanently imbedded in the felt. The hat has come a long way with my cleaning and is now wearable. I think it will be a serviceable hat just not one of my favourites.

RJR

Thank you all for the input. I have lint rollered, steamed and brushed and the Borsa has refreshed a lot. Enough that I have abandoned the thought of a naptha bath or Scout. I have straightened the brim and am in the process of finding a bash I like. The front pinch is the problem overall. After refreshing it and getting rid of the grime it now shows that the pinch area is worn. It has quite a severe pinch and I think the owner(s) handled it in that area regularly and have worn in the severe pinch and the crease is permanently imbedded in the felt. The hat has come a long way with my cleaning and is now wearable. I think it will be a serviceable hat just not one of my favourites.
Your experience is fairly typical with older hats that show wear/grime.

Okay you all talked me out of the naptha bath, the hat cleaned up pretty good after using all your suggestions. My wife suggested corn starch in place of the talc as all I had on hand was baby powder. It worked well.

Next question: I have decided to replace the ribbon as it is frayed beyond insouciance I have found an Etsy supplier with the ribbon I want but need to know how much. Is a yard enough to construct a basic ribbon on a 7 3/8 hat?
I think this is a low risk endeavour as if I fail I can take it to a local hatter that does install ribbons for a reasonable fee.

Okay you all talked me out of the naptha bath, the hat cleaned up pretty good after using all your suggestions. My wife suggested corn starch in place of the talc as all I had on hand was baby powder. It worked well.

Next question: I have decided to replace the ribbon as it is frayed beyond insouciance I have found an Etsy supplier with the ribbon I want but need to know how much. Is a yard enough to construct a basic ribbon on a 7 3/8 hat?
I think this is a low risk endeavour as if I fail I can take it to a local hatter that does install ribbons for a reasonable fee.

A good hatter should be able to make do with a yard I think.

That's why I always get two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I did not notice if you have used a hat sponge on your hat? If not, try a few. We have maybe 10 or so hat sponges, I can dampen one for lightly rubbing on a area that would seem a bit "grimy" and then use clean dry ones to go back over that area to help lift out the grime on the felt. I use warmed up distilled water on any hats I do this with. If you try doing the damp sponge and can push on any creased area from the inside to offer some resistance, it may help take some of the old crease are out also. Take you time on any hat, you would be amazed on how much crud you can remove from a hat.

The tape and vacuum is my first steps in cleaning a hat, then sponge for a while followed up with a hat brush. Cleaning a hat well is a good thing even more so if you plan to steam a hat for shaping it or use of an iron on the brim. BUT you can use the steam and sponge on a hat to get a lot out as well. Taking you time and be willing to spend some time on any area of concern may prove to give you the results you were looking for. Water or steam seems to give great results with the least of problems what I call, "side affects" as water rarely will harm a decent hat, the same with steam. I have used some chemical cleaners that left the surface of a hat looking splotched up and horrible even if the original stain was removed.

I use a small bottle of a product called, DYO brand spot remover on shoes, (suede) and on hats for when something is really nasty, like ink. However I would refrain from using it on a black hat, as it may actually lighten the felt on any contact surfaces you would use it on. But is works super well on bad small stains, including ribbons that have sweat stains.

I did not notice if you have used a hat sponge on your hat? If not, try a few. We have maybe 10 or so hat sponges, I can dampen one for lightly rubbing on a area that would seem a bit "grimy" and then use clean dry ones to go back over that area to help lift out the grime on the felt. I use warmed up distilled water on any hats I do this with. If you try doing the damp sponge and can push on any creased area from the inside to offer some resistance, it may help take some of the old crease are out also. Take you time on any hat, you would be amazed on how much crud you can remove from a hat.

The tape and vacuum is my first steps in cleaning a hat, then sponge for a while followed up with a hat brush. Cleaning a hat well is a good thing even more so if you plan to steam a hat for shaping it or use of an iron on the brim. BUT you can use the steam and sponge on a hat to get a lot out as well. Taking you time and be willing to spend some time on any area of concern may prove to give you the results you were looking for. Water or steam seems to give great results with the least of problems what I call, "side affects" as water rarely will harm a decent hat, the same with steam. I have used some chemical cleaners that left the surface of a hat looking splotched up and horrible even if the original stain was removed.

Thank you, yes, I did use a hat sponge but only dry. Did not think to try using it a bit damp. The hat came out pretty good and I am pleased. Even the badly creased front pinch that was way tighter than I prefer came out pretty good and allowed me to give it a much more relaxed pinch. I have a flange and hat block and was able to get the brim straightened out and the kinks in the crown sorted as well. It is now a very usable hat, not perfect but great for wearing with leather jacket and jeans.

I use a small bottle of a product called, DYO brand spot remover on shoes, (suede) and on hats for when something is really nasty, like ink. However I would refrain from using it on a black hat, as it may actually lighten the felt on any contact surfaces you would use it on. But is works super well on bad small stains, including ribbons that have sweat stains.

No help for you on a location however TonyB, Art, Blacksheep are three super good places to trust getting something done properly!

I have used USPS to mail two hats to Mike at NW hats and was surprised on how reasonable the cost to ship such a large (albeit light) box. The second was a western with a 4"+ brim so the box was really big (a true hat box with lots of bulk) and it cost just $7 and change.

Natekirk

New in Town
I've just ordered a hat (an Akubra Territory) for work and have been doing more research on hats in general while I wait for it to show up. Do hats tend to shrink or is it more like "conforming" to the head? I ordered my correct size and am wondering if I should have ordered a size up. I have a hat stretcher to keep it on; is this a reliable method to keep a hats shape? Thanks

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
I've just ordered a hat (an Akubra Territory) for work and have been doing more research on hats in general while I wait for it to show up. Do hats tend to shrink or is it more like "conforming" to the head? I ordered my correct size and am wondering if I should have ordered a size up. I have a hat stretcher to keep it on; is this a reliable method to keep a hats shape? Thanks
The Akubras definitely shrink a size with time (my stylemaster probably lost a bit more than a size over its life). So, if you are able to contact the supplier and amend your order it would be a good idea.
You can always pad the band if it is too big, there is not a lot you can do if it is too small. Hat stretchers don't tend to work in the long term, better for stretching a hat which has shrunk than resizing, but they tend to shrink again quickly (in my experience).
Again, in my experience, Akubras tend to shrink less if they are worn every day. But shrink a lot more (and quite quickly) if left in a hot car for even a short time.

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face

If you search the forum, you'll see different answers on that question. As ADHD mentioned, if you leave them in a hot car that can have a negative effect on them. I have a 20 year old snowy river that I purchased for my head size and it still fits comfortably. None of my other Akubras are quite that old so I can't comment beyond that.

Like you, I just ordered a new Territory and I ordered it to fit as I have with all my others. I did not order a size up.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
All of my, over a dozen, fur felt Akubras, which I purchased in my usual size, originally fit a bit loosely but shrank down to an excellent fit, except for a Federation IV which arrived a little tight and required some stretching to fit properly. The general consensus at this forum is that the Federation IVs are sized a little smaller than other Akubra hats.
Curiously, the half-dozen hemp Akubras that I purchased in my usual size, originally fit me quite well and have not shrunken noticeably since at all.

Storing a hat on a hat stretcher is a common and excellent method of preventing a hat from shrinking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy