Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
How does one go about sueding a hat they own? I have some ideas but I am not absolutely sure how it will play out.
When I say "sueding" a hat, I am referring to the feel of hats similar to those of a Resistol 20X Black Gold and 20X Tarrant. I am seeking to add such texture to a different hat. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Rotten Ralph

New in Town
In the last week my hat has left a black line across the back of my head.
Further investigation is that the rear of the hat band has a sticky feel to it when touched.
I look after my hat, and I have not come in contact with anything that I know of, that could
have left the substances on the hat band.
Can you suggest a cleaning solution that will remove the substance.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Is the sweatband made of a leather?
I own a Resistol that has a black leather sweatband and as I wore it the sweatband became tacky.
I never treated that piece of leather and now it has begun to crumble slowly. So, I would recommend treating the leather with a leather conditioner that does not cause any irritation to your skin.

From the information that have you have shared this would be my best guess on what may be taking place.

Good Luck

Rotten Ralph

New in Town
Question #2, What took you so long? :D
The Akubra inner band leaves a black line on the back of my head.
I have tried to clean the band using and the rag, and it shows a black substance is on the band, but is does not come clean, and remains sticky.
I have tried Eucalytus oil, morning fresh dish washing liquid and Earth multi purpose cleaner but none of it worked.
The hat is only 3 months old, and it started leving the mark on the back of my haed 3 weeks ago.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you. I will try that now.
turn the leather sweatband down, (inside out) and put some real thin leather conditioner on the surface of the leather sweatband, (the RUFF unfinished side) and let it soak in. Let it dry at least a day then lightly rub the finished surface with some leather conditioner and let it soak in and dry. Get a white clothe rag, wipe gently both sides of the sweatband until you have no residue on the leather left behind from the conditioner. If you still see any coloring coming off the leather, after all of that, then I would say have the leather sweatband replaced. The only time I have observed a sweatband "bleed" any color was when it was very old, dried out and rotting. At that point even a conditioner could not save it, as it just crumbled the more it was touched. That was a few years ago and it sits like that on the shelf in the closet right now.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
In the last week my hat has left a black line across the back of my head.
Further investigation is that the rear of the hat band has a sticky feel to it when touched.
I look after my hat, and I have not come in contact with anything that I know of, that could
have left the substances on the hat band.
Can you suggest a cleaning solution that will remove the substance.
I would guess that sticky feeling "stuff" is most likely glue. Anything I can think of that would really be classified as a cleaning agent that you would put on leather, aside from a light amount of saddle soap or using a leather conditioner, would not be recommended on leather that already is bleeding some color or goo from it. PLUS if you do not get what ever chemical agent back out of the leather, it will promote rotting quicker and may play hell on your scalp as well!

sparkyfavela

New in Town
hey guys, just made this account. Hope I'm in the right place, can somebody tell me what kind of hat this is? Any help is appreciated.
12666083-mmmain.jpg

presser-23rd-191_presser-e1453435913702.jpg

Gadgetburg

New in Town
Looking for a light coloured Homburg to wear more casually. I have a dark grey one to match my suit, even with a band made from the suit material, but I love it so much I want to wear it more, and am thinking if I had a lighter one, rebashed with a pinch and a feather or 2, I could get away with it with chinos and a shirt...

Heres my grey one:

Homburg2.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
JackieMatra gave you the links essential to have a homburg according to your needs.
I believe that a great source of inspiration is the thread Homburg Nations http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/homburg-nation.35848/page-73
where you can find examples of past and present homburgs.
What's on your head is a model with brim curved and very narrow.
You will see totally different models from which you can find inspiration
The homburgs are my favorite hats ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo