Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epemethius

New in Town
Almost impossible to find Great Vintage Hats in good condition in 7 3/8 ,

Oh, THAT explains why I find bupkis in 7 3/8

My dome measures just under 59cm - 7 3/8 above the ears. I just got a very nice 7 3/8 and it is too big. I stuffed the sweat band with 1/4 inch packing foam and it fits fine. My hair is cut short on the side, growing it out would make the hat fit.

Are hats like shoes, the size is a suggestion and you have to try them on to see if they fit?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Anthony told me add the length inside the sweat band to the width inside the sweat and divide by 2 , it will give you the approx US Hate Size . I have a New Stetson that has been too big , finally thought to measure it ... . It was a 7 1/2 marked 7 3/8 ! I'm 58.5 cm ... I guess a big 7 1/4 or just under 7 3/8 , but they usually shrink , so 7 3/8 .
Oh, THAT explains why I find bupkis in 7 3/8

My dome measures just under 59cm - 7 3/8 above the ears. I just got a very nice 7 3/8 and it is too big. I stuffed the sweat band with 1/4 inch packing foam and it fits fine. My hair is cut short on the side, growing it out would make the hat fit.

Are hats like shoes, the size is a suggestion and you have to try them on to see if they fit?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Almost impossible to find Great Vintage Hats in good condition in 7 3/8
I would definitely call that an overstatement. We see a lot of vintage hats in excellent condition in 7-1/4 and 7-3/8 - all the time.

Yes, it's easier to find smaller hats, but it's very far from impossible to find 7-1/4+ hats. Super fine vintage collections exist among Loungers with 7-1/4+ heads ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I guess killing the hat means you can't shape it, or that it looses it's shape and has to be reblocked?
Heat, moisture and movement is what make hair felt. If you steam too much, the felt may keep on felting as you handle it. The result will be shrinking/tapering.

You just want the felt to get moist and warm. That makes the felt workable. Steam a little and try to crease. If not enough, steam a little more and so on.

Especially in the beginning you should proceed with care. With practice, you get "bolder" :)

Charmin

New in Town
So I just inherited my grandma's house, so far I've come across three of my Pepaws hats and I'm wondering if you all can tell me anything about them, or if I am in the wrong thread to point me in the right direction. I'm trying to find out what time period they are from, material made of, amount worth etc. I'm a woman so I won't be wearing these so I haven't decodes to sell or keep for sentimental purposes

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
So I just inherited my grandma's house, so far I've come across three of my Pepaws hats and I'm wondering if you all can tell me anything about them, or if I am in the wrong thread to point me in the right direction. I'm trying to find out what time period they are from, material made of, amount worth etc. I'm a woman so I won't be wearing these so I haven't decodes to sell or keep for sentimental purposes

pictures inside and out will be a good start

Charmin

New in Town
IMG_20160508_202546.jpg

Charmin

New in Town
so this one above appears to have not been worn, the tag is still on the inside, the outside has loafers-caribou written in pen or pencil amongst a couple other things I can't make out. it says Royal Stetson on the inside

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
that is a fur felt 1950s era Royal Stetson ... and a very nice one at that

being a smaller size it would not fetch as much as it would if it were larger but the dimensions ... meaning crown height and brim width ... make it a desirable hat indeed

aside from the sweatband needing a cleaning it looks to be in great shape.

I am not as familiar with that ribbon and bow style ... I'm sure some here are ... but it is a thin ribbon which I love

if it were 7 1/4 I would make you an offer :)

very nice hat ... you've come to the right place

Charmin

New in Town
that is a fur felt 1950s era Royal Stetson ... and a very nice one at that

being a smaller size it would not fetch as much as it would if it were larger but the dimensions ... meaning crown height and brim width ... make it a desirable hat indeed

aside from the sweatband needing a cleaning it looks to be in great shape.

I am not as familiar with that ribbon and bow style ... I'm sure some here are ... but it is a thin ribbon which I love

if it were 7 1/4 I would make you an offer :)

very nice hat ... you've come to the right place
thank you so much

Charmin

New in Town
this one in the next 2 sets I believe he wore on occasion, it probably has some yellowing but I really can't tell

Charmin

New in Town
sorryou this is taking me so long, I am using my phone and the site keeps telling me my pictures are too large.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran