Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTortola

New in Town
I finally made the leap and bought my first fur-felt fedora! Went with the Stratoliner Premier in Cornhill, couldn't resist the price I got on sale at overland so I pulled the trigger.

The size fits perfect, and I love the color and look, but there are a couple things about it that I am curious if I should be concerned about so I figured I'd turn to you experts.

For one, when I purchased it said Open Crown, but when it arrived, it came with a teardrop bash. This is coincidentally what I wanted to try to do myself so it's not that big a deal, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't open and ready for me to attempt myself. Wondering if you think this means that it was used and returned, or a floor model perhaps?

Also, i can see some of the stitching that is below the ribbon and it is a dark brown or black. Is this normal? I would have thought that the stitching would match the color of the felt so as not to be so noticeable.

Lastly, and most concerning, the front of the brim doesn't have that 'snap' that I was expecting after trying on the royal quality version of the same. I would have thought that the premier would be even better than the royal (and it does feel better quality overall in my inexperienced opinion), but on this, when I try to turn the brim down, it kind of only goes down slightly and sometimes will pop back up. Does this sound strange to you? Is there any way that I can get it to have more of a 'snap' in the front on my own? Total noob here so any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I've included a couple pictures of my new baby (i think, ha).

Thanks,
J
IMAG3783.jpg
IMAG3784.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
does it say Premier anywhere on it ?

is that a stain on the front of the brim ?

my initial thought was that they sent you a Royal instead of a Premier

could be a hat that someone sent back if it is a Premier because it should come open crown ... possibly a hat they had bashed at the store and was the last one in that color

maybe call the store

where did you buy it ?

and you can steam some snap into the brim ... what you described doesn't sound all that out of the ordinary for a modern Strat brim

tommyK

One Too Many
Flanges - you are right I need a flange. I will continue to listen and ask about snap as I am sure I can pick up a flange with persistence. My hat brims will appreciate the effort. As to using sand bags with caution, I have heard this a couple of times before. I am not anxious to burn the "bunk house" down. I doubt I will use that tool at home.

Listening and planning, Eric -

Eric, I would like to suggest you get more than one flange. A 2 1/2, 2 5/8 and 2 3/4 to start. There are different shapes as well among the brim sizes as well. Deeper or more shallow dish, flatter fronts with deeper backs and so forth. Many brims have a flatter front than back and many flanges reflect this. Something to look out for

8f6de392-3a8c-43f1-b26a-1e8ceca3b885_zpszhxevhos.jpg

Mm25

One Too Many
I finally made the leap and bought my first fur-felt fedora! Went with the Stratoliner Premier in Cornhill, couldn't resist the price I got on sale at overland so I pulled the trigger.

The size fits perfect, and I love the color and look, but there are a couple things about it that I am curious if I should be concerned about so I figured I'd turn to you experts.

For one, when I purchased it said Open Crown, but when it arrived, it came with a teardrop bash. This is coincidentally what I wanted to try to do myself so it's not that big a deal, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't open and ready for me to attempt myself. Wondering if you think this means that it was used and returned, or a floor model perhaps?

Also, i can see some of the stitching that is below the ribbon and it is a dark brown or black. Is this normal? I would have thought that the stitching would match the color of the felt so as not to be so noticeable.

Lastly, and most concerning, the front of the brim doesn't have that 'snap' that I was expecting after trying on the royal quality version of the same. I would have thought that the premier would be even better than the royal (and it does feel better quality overall in my inexperienced opinion), but on this, when I try to turn the brim down, it kind of only goes down slightly and sometimes will pop back up. Does this sound strange to you? Is there any way that I can get it to have more of a 'snap' in the front on my own? Total noob here so any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I've included a couple pictures of my new baby (i think, ha).

Thanks,
J
View attachment 49568 View attachment 49569
Size 7 1/4?
That looks like the same hat I sent back for being substandard about a month ago. It came to me pre-bashed and stained so it went back in the box for return. Looks like they just keep sending it out.

JTortola

New in Town
Size 7 1/4?
That looks like the same hat I sent back for being substandard about a month ago. It came to me pre-bashed and stained so it went back in the box for return. Looks like they just keep sending it out.

That is craziness. It is indeed a 7 1/4. Oy. So in your opinion, this isn't the quality that a strat premier should be? Good to know. Now, I just have to decide if saving $70 off the normal asking price is worth these issues for my first hat, tough one. I think I can probably live with everything else (there's a sucker born every day), as long as there is a way to put more snap in the brim. Anyone have any info on doing this?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
That is craziness. It is indeed a 7 1/4. Oy. So in your opinion, this isn't the quality that a strat premier should be? Good to know. Now, I just have to decide if saving $70 off the normal asking price is worth these issues for my first hat, tough one. I think I can probably live with everything else (there's a sucker born every day), as long as there is a way to put more snap in the brim. Anyone have any info on doing this?

You know I just checked , that is about the difference in the pre bashed regular Strat version , not to mention the stain and flaws . I'd be calling Customer Service ! Ask them what is who trying to pull and what ? That is not a Premier (quality) Stratoliner (open crown) ,and you know , plus the flaws and stain . Whose trying to fool who here ? Stetson might like your in put on the misrepresentation and poor quality concerns , also .

JTortola

New in Town
You know I just checked , that is about the difference in the pre bashed regular Strat version , not to mention the stain and flaws . I'd be calling Customer Service ! Ask them what is who trying to pull and what ? That is not a Premier (quality) Stratoliner (open crown) ,and you know , plus the flaws and stain . Whose trying to fool who here ? Stetson might like your in put on the misrepresentation and poor quality concerns , also .

Thanks Michael, really appreciate all your input. I'll definitely give them a call and try to sus everything out. I am confused though, as the leather band certainly says 'Premier' and I'm pretty sure the regular strat doesn't come in this color. Very strange.

Mm25

One Too Many
Thanks Michael, really appreciate all your input. I'll definitely give them a call and try to sus everything out. I am confused though, as the leather band certainly says 'Premier' and I'm pretty sure the regular strat doesn't come in this color. Very strange.
If it is indeed the same hat it is a premiere but it has already been sent to at least three owners. One of whom bashed it and stained it before deciding it had issues and sending it back. Overland has paid more in shipping than the hat is worth. Tell them to give it to you and be done with it.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
If it is indeed the same hat it is a premiere but it has already been sent to at least three owners. One of whom bashed it and stained it before deciding it had issues and sending it back. Overland has paid more in shipping than the hat is worth. Tell them to give it to you and be done with it.

WITHOUT A DOUBT : FREE ! And Refund Immediately , and I would still let Stetson (HatCo) know this is going on . Business is business , if they said a second , or on Sale "Returned , Premier , Bashed , Imperfect" that's one thing . But passing a defective Hat off , even at a sale price is misrepresenting the Stetson Premier Strat Product Quality . I know the Guy that took over stated quality issues had to be resolved to get the Stetson Brand back to its former Glory Days , Jim Posted the Article . The Guy is a former Professional Rodeo Cowboy . (Can't recall his name)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I know it may be tiring to Stetson fans, but my personal experiences - coupled with others' - tell me, that Stetson is no longer a quality brand.

As I've stated several times, all eight "Premieres" I handled, visiting the US two years ago, were flawed - some severally. Felt issues, poor pouncing, visible sweatband stitches below the ribbon and terrible ribbon stitching with stitches several inches long ... all seems to me as being part of Stetson's "new standard".

Those hats I evaluated in a hat shop, which leaves me to conclude, that it would be way too much of a gamble to order one online. I would be much better off, flipping a coin and bet on the outcome!

I understand if Americans have a lot of feelings and nostalgia invested in the Stetson brand, but that's all Stetson is to this "cold" European: A romantic and nostalgic dream. It's no longer a quality brand - and I see no signs of a real change.

I know it may be tiring to Stetson fans, but my personal experiences - coupled with others' - tell me, that Stetson is no longer a quality brand.

As I've stated several times, all eight "Premieres" I handled, visiting the US two years ago, were flawed - some severally. Felt issues, poor pouncing, visible sweatband stitches below the ribbon and terrible ribbon stitching with stitches several inches long ... all seems to me as being part of Stetson's "new standard".

Those hats I evaluated in a hat shop, which leaves me to conclude, that it would be way too much of a gamble to order one online. I would be much better off, flipping a coin and bet on the outcome!

I understand if Americans have a lot of feelings and nostalgia invested in the Stetson brand, but that's all Stetson is to this "cold" European: A romantic and nostalgic dream. It's no longer a quality brand - and I see no signs of a real change.

And yet, several on here, including me, have purchased new Stetsons over the past year or so that we're very happy with. I'd have to agree that the QA/QC may be spotty, but they have provided me with some nice hats. One was purchased new on line (Stetsonian), and two at the outlet (Racine and Lamont). I wear all of them regularly, along with my vintages.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
And yet, several on here, including me, have purchased new Stetsons over the past year or so that we're very happy with. I'd have to agree that the QA/QC may be spotty, but they have provided me with some nice hats. One was purchased new on line (Stetsonian), and two at the outlet (Racine and Lamont). I wear all of them regularly, along with my vintages.
I know, Fruno - and I respect that. It's just, that I have only been around really bad ones. They were sold without discount from a shop, so I must believe, they were considered "standard". I'm not sure, when I'll be returning to the US, but that'll be Stetson's second - and absolutely last - chance to convince me. Not that I think they care about a grumpy old Dane ;)

EstherWeis

Vendor
I know, Fruno - and I respect that. It's just, that I have only been around really bad ones. They were sold without discount from a shop, so I must believe, they were considered "standard". I'm not sure, when I'll be returning to the US, but that'll be Stetson's second - and absolutely last - chance to convince me. Not that I think they care about a grumpy old Dane ;)

Well, the stetsons I have seen all over Europe have been sort disappointing to be honest.

I was rather surprised because I have sen some really nice pictures and comments.
Could be that the high end quality doesn't reach our shores though.

Last edited:

mageofthesands

New in Town
Hello. I've been researching hats lately, and not having much luck. Then I found this place. IMO, the best way to get opinions about something is to go to a forum devoted to the subject.

I'm recently decided to change my style a bit. I've got from shorts, and t-shirt, to black pants (with black braces) and blue polos. Now I want to replace my aging golf ballcap with something that won't crush my hair, be inline with my new style, and shade my eyes from the Iowa sun. I read a lot about matching colors and shapes of hats with the color and shape of your face, but I can't decide on what mine are. Luckily I have two photos.

I measured my head earlier today, and it seems to be 21 1/4 inch. This seems to be a small, which is odd to me. One of the ball caps around the house fits well with only two buttons snapped, and the M/L cheap hat at K-Mart felt too snug, while the L/XL version is too big.

There are no hat shops in the area. In fact, no one knows of a hat shop even in Omaha, and that's an hours drive away. So it looks like I am at the mercy of the Internet, and whatever advice you can provide.

As for budget, well, I don't have too much after buying the clothes, and getting alterations. I'm hoping to meet a price/performance breakpoint at the <$40 range, but could go higher if it is particularly compelling.

I do have grandfather's old straw hat laying around. It feels a little snug though, and, well, the cigarette holder makes it unwearable. I mean, I could put an iPod in there, but that just seems weird.

Thank you, I appreciate any help you can provide.

Oh, right. I was thinking a classic fedora would work. I hear good things about trillobys, but I worry it wouldn't actually shade my eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112