Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hello. I've been researching hats lately, and not having much luck. Then I found this place. IMO, the best way to get opinions about something is to go to a forum devoted to the subject.

I'm recently decided to change my style a bit. I've got from shorts, and t-shirt, to black pants (with black braces) and blue polos. Now I want to replace my aging golf ballcap with something that won't crush my hair, be inline with my new style, and shade my eyes from the Iowa sun. I read a lot about matching colors and shapes of hats with the color and shape of your face, but I can't decide on what mine are. Luckily I have two photos.

I measured my head earlier today, and it seems to be 21 1/4 inch. This seems to be a small, which is odd to me. One of the ball caps around the house fits well with only two buttons snapped, and the M/L cheap hat at K-Mart felt too snug, while the L/XL version is too big.

There are no hat shops in the area. In fact, no one knows of a hat shop even in Omaha, and that's an hours drive away. So it looks like I am at the mercy of the Internet, and whatever advice you can provide.

As for budget, well, I don't have too much after buying the clothes, and getting alterations. I'm hoping to meet a price/performance breakpoint at the <$40 range, but could go higher if it is particularly compelling.

I do have grandfather's old straw hat laying around. It feels a little snug though, and, well, the cigarette holder makes it unwearable. I mean, I could put an iPod in there, but that just seems weird.

Thank you, I appreciate any help you can provide.

Oh, right. I was thinking a classic fedora would work. I hear good things about trillobys, but I worry it wouldn't actually shade my eyes.

I would go to the "What Hat are You Wearing Today" Thread and look , and study to see what appeals to you . That's a Good Way to start , then if there's a Hat Shop close go try on a LOT of Hats . If Not , there are great threads to venders , Hatters , and info on on line Hat Retailers . It all boils down to what you like , then what you feel comfortable wearing . A Hat can look great on you , but you may think the crown is too high , or too low , brim too wide , or too narrow . Or the color looks bad on you (though it may look Great) .

WELCOME to The Lounge !

RJR

Second the welcome mageofthesands,good suggestions from Michael.Do be aware that your taste/comfort level will evolve over time.

mageofthesands

New in Town
Thanks. I just don't know where to start. For most things, I can read reviews online on blogs, get recommendations, expert advice, etc. Hats? A whole lot of sales list at department stores. The fact that my head size seems off is one thing I am concerned about. First time I measured, I was 22 3/8 inch, now 21 1/4 inch. And the caps I have been wearing are usually on larger notches or strapped. I felt that after trying on the hats at K-Mart, I was a solid "Large", but maybe that's because it's just a bad hat.

I was originally looking at a wool/polyester Dorfman Pacific fedora as it was on sale, looked okay, and survived this guy's treatment. Now I'm looking at Jaxon Hats straw hat from VillageHatShop. All I know is that DP is a wholesaler, and nothing about Jaxon.

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I just don't know where to start. For most things, I can read reviews online on blogs, get recommendations, expert advice, etc. Hats? A whole lot of sales list at department stores. The fact that my head size seems off is one thing I am concerned about. First time I measured, I was 22 3/8 inch, now 21 1/4 inch. And the caps I have been wearing are usually on larger notches or strapped. I felt that after trying on the hats at K-Mart, I was a solid "Large", but maybe that's because it's just a bad hat.

I was originally looking at a wool/polyester Dorfman Pacific fedora as it was on sale, looked okay, and survived this guy's treatment. Now I'm looking at Jaxon Hats straw hat from VillageHatShop. All I know is that DP is a wholesaler, and nothing about Jaxon.
I looked and looked and looked online, then found a wool felt hat that looked good to me and had my wife and daughters ok it for me. While I was waiting for to it arrive I found this forum and began to see there was a lot I was missing. I ended up getting an Akubra country club synthetic straw which has been very good, now I have my first fur felt hat being a BGCD that I waited for from everything australian, and I've always wanted a Fed IV in heritage fawn because I love that color. I'll get it when it cools off in the fall. And I see the attraction of a custom hat as I have an oval head and getting a hat to fit takes a little doing.
So I've gone to an ok wool felt with cloth sweat to a straw and fur felt with leather sweats. I think you'll have more fun with a fur felt hat of good quality. If you're like me you'll learn all about hatting, etc. and have a good time with the whole thing.

mageofthesands

New in Town
I noticed a lot of talk of Akubra. Is this site based in Australia?

They are nice looking hats, but not really affordable for me, especially after shipping.

What is a BGCD?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I ordered from Hats Direct the first time from Australia , they shipped it out that day , took about 10 days . I got a tracking number and notice of shipment . But it depends if its an in-stock color (can take up to 3 months to ship if not) , then the AU mail , Customs , USPS . Never know . Have you receiving shipping conformation ?

Mageofthesands, it's been a couple of yrs since I did any work in Omaha, NE to be there but there is/was a store in the Old Market (Cumberland Outfitters, Outback Outfitters maybe?) that specializes mainly in oilskin hats & coats. They carried Akubra & down. I doubt they had any straws. Most of their hats will probably be wider brim bushman styled stuff. It might be a good place to start at least to try on some hats & pin down your size.

You should be able to get an accurate measurement of your cranium by using a cloth measuring tape.

Overland is probably it because now that I think about it they sold a lot of sheepskin also.

bombin

Familiar Face
I have acquired a Lock Homburg in which the hat band has become partially detached and the lining has also become partially detached. Is this something I can repair myself?

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
I ordered a Cattleman from Hats by the 100 in Australia. Anyone dealt with them and if so, what is ship time to U.S.? Been 14 days and counting...

Hats by the 100 is the same retailer as Australian Gear, who I have purchased items from on several occasions.
They always sent me tracking information and my purchases always arrived within a week.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Gonna try to "buff" out some surface scratches. Any idea what to use? 200/400 grit? Is the felt supposed to b wet or dry? If so where do I get it. Any other ideas for light "scratch" removal? Thanks!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Gonna try to "buff" out some surface scratches. Any idea what to use? 200/400 grit? Is the felt supposed to b wet or dry? If so where do I get it. Any other ideas for light "scratch" removal? Thanks!

I would try a hat sponge first ... then maybe some 400 grit

and definitely dry... for sandpaper that is
sponge I would use some steam

also if you've never used sandpaper on a hat before try a spot in side under the liner first to get the feel for pressure

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112