Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I would try a hat sponge first ... then maybe some 400 grit

and definitely dry... for sandpaper that is
sponge I would use some steam

also if you've never used sandpaper on a hat before try a spot in side under the liner first to get the feel for pressure
Will do. Hat sponge with steam. If that doesn't work 400 grit. Thx.

FilthyHillbilly

New in Town
So my Akubra Cattleman arrived Saturday. After 2 days of off and on wear, I'm finding the fit gives me a headache. It's not uncomfortably tight, (doesn't leave a ring around my head), but it is snug. I've read through many of the threads and some people may suggest a hat jack to stretch it and others may suggest going up a size and using foam padding inside the sweatband. Since it's a brand new hat, I'm leaning towards going up a size. I'm also new to the hat world (other than ballcaps) and probably not accustomed to wearing a nice quality hat. I'm thinking that if the hat is going to shrink, like many suggest, it will eventually become too tight. What are your thoughts?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
So my Akubra Cattleman arrived Saturday. After 2 days of off and on wear, I'm finding the fit gives me a headache. It's not uncomfortably tight, (doesn't leave a ring around my head), but it is snug. I've read through many of the threads and some people may suggest a hat jack to stretch it and others may suggest going up a size and using foam padding inside the sweatband. Since it's a brand new hat, I'm leaning towards going up a size. I'm also new to the hat world (other than ballcaps) and probably not accustomed to wearing a nice quality hat. I'm thinking that if the hat is going to shrink, like many suggest, it will eventually become too tight. What are your thoughts?
If it's a bit snug after only two days it will most likely will become too tight.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bob for your input. I'll order another and send this one back. I will have to say, I DO love the style of the Akubra! Well worth the hassle and $$$.
Your welcome. I have 4 Akubras. I'm a 58. I ordered three in 59 and they fit perfect. My one Camp Draft is 58 and it fits tight. Just my own experience.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I am 58.5 cm , bought 2 59 cm Akubras , they were Way too Big , but I used the foam strips and in about 2 weeks they tightened up , took out the strips . One needed stretching (first Stretcher I bought was a Hat Jack on eBay from Killer Hats $14.49 includes shipping get a size smaller or more , especially if you're Long Oval - tight front and back , loose sides and wobbles) , bought a Hat Jack in medium , should have bought a small , I'm Long Oval . Over stretch , initially it'll be too big , but in 2 hours it'll tighten up to perfect , though I'd apply leather conditioner to the sweat band < good idea anyway . But Stretchers are good for retaining , too , you put them in just snug when not wearing , retains size and shape . I'm a 7 3/8 - 59 cm , eventually bought a couple of millinery stretchers by Made Rite (6 3/4 , and a 6 7/8) , but Hat Jacks will do it , but always go at least one size smaller , if not two sizes (small are a bit more narrow , still stretch the same), if need be steam the brim next to the crown to change the Oval . A Good Soaking Rain will work , too , on your head , but leave it on to dry , or turn out the sweat band , and let it dry naturally away from heat . Best fitting Hat I have was soaked to the bone by a heavy down pour , dried mostly on my head , then I just turned out the sweat to let it dry naturally .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I've only seen the orange ... but they definitely work wonders

I've only seen the Orange , and they come two to a pack ! I had some and lost them , bought two packs last time (4 Hat Sponges total) just incase . Don't wet the sponges , use them dry .

Get the 2-pack & use one for your light colored hats & one for your dark colored hats. The sponges will get tiny amounts of felt fuzz built up over time. I identify which sponge is which by storing them separately in sandwich baggies & use a marker to write on the Baggie.

Same deal as Hat Brushes , but over time you'll notice the dark Hat sponge being darker , vacuum to clean . Good idea to use a marked zip baggie to identify , though , especially in the beginning . That cleaning powder lifts some stuff , or keeps it from going deeper . But I bought a New Stetson , first time I brushed it powder flew and it had a few spots on the back underside of the brim from the factory ! Get some dark and light Hat cleaning spray (2 cans , 1 dark , 1 light) Scout makes it , plus I think they sell both in a kit with a little brush , too . Mike (monteville-cowboy) on FL has One 2 mini Ranch (ONE2miniranch.com) and he sells it , along with everyone else . But he's really nice . Chili or spaghetti sauce , etc , better put a pile of cornmeal on the stain and let it sit ASAP (I think there's something else you can use ? Can't remember) Might be cornstarch , better check first . ... Good Luck Bob !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21