Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
@Ken David... searching for topics here is best accomplished through Googoo. Example (if someone has more detail here, hop on in) if you are looking for info on Stack Hats, or Frank Stack, enter that into the search box, followed by "The Fedora Lounge."

Your searches will be much more fruitful. Enjoy, and please post lots of photos, sir!

Ken David

One of the Regulars
@Ken David... searching for topics here is best accomplished through Googoo. Example (if someone has more detail here, hop on in) if you are looking for info on Stack Hats, or Frank Stack, enter that into the search box, followed by "The Fedora Lounge." Your searches will be much more fruitful. Enjoy, and please post lots of photos, sir!

I apologize for my unfruitful posts. Thanks for the tip. I noticed while using google the top posts of interest being from TFL. thanks!

The more I search the more I read from the knowledge of this forum the more I see the majority of ebay sellers selling their "vintage 1950s fedora in excellent condition" is neither from the 50s, nor even vintage nor in excellent condition LOL

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I apologize for my unfruitful posts. Thanks for the tip. I noticed while using google the top posts of interest being from TFL. thanks!

The more I search the more I read from the knowledge of this forum the more I see the majority of ebay sellers selling their "vintage 1950s fedora in excellent condition" is neither from the 50s, nor even vintage nor in excellent condition LOL
you will slowly learn that 97% of people selling hats on eBay have no idea what they are talking about

you will also slowly learn who the 3% of sellers are who do ... and most of them are members here

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like all the old hats I see on the forum. But my question is; how old is old enough to get the better quality hats? 70s, 60s, 50s, ... ?

I like all the old hats I see on the forum. But my question is; how old is old enough to get the better quality hats? 70s, 60s, 50s, ... ?

Though there are exceptions, of course, pre-1960 is the way to go.

It also depends on style. The late '50s and '60s brought the lower crown/smaller brim styles, which most - but certainly not all - of us aren't enamored with. Felt quality gets better as you move back through time, as well.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Looking for an Akubra to wear with business casual (jeans, tucked in shirt or sweater, boots /shoes). Leaning toward the Fed IV (Charcoal grey or Moonstone) or Stylemaster (graphite grey). Most of my outwear is black or burgundy. I'm about 5'9 150, semi long/narrow face, semi pale complexion ha. Please point me in the right direction gents....

Looking for an Akubra to wear with business casual (jeans, tucked in shirt or sweater, boots /shoes). Leaning toward the Fed IV (Charcoal grey or Moonstone) or Stylemaster (graphite grey). Most of my outwear is black or burgundy. I'm about 5'9 150, semi long/narrow face, semi pale complexion ha. Please point me in the right direction gents....

Akubra "Fedora." Doesn't get enough love around here and a great dress up/dress down lid.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Both of those are great choices. Just be aware that the dark gray - variously called Steel, Carbon, Mid-Grey, etc. - is VERY dark. It often reads as black in anything less than bright light.

Also, if you're not already a regular hat wearer, the Fed IV may seem a lot bigger than you expected when you get it. So I generally recommend the Stylemaster to newbies, because of its less flamboyant dimensions - it looks great on nearly everyone. And it's hard to go wrong with the Moonstone, a lovely color.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I am not a regular brimmed hat wearer, but have been wearing lots of flat caps recently. So maybe I'm starting to wade into the hat wearing pond a bit. I think I've seen stylemaster "like" hats in regular stores/malls in NJ/NYC but I think those might come across a bit too "brooklyn hipster" for me. Will the larger crowned Fed iV becoming less imposing with a deep bash of some type? I also frequently wear various leather jackets (no surprise being on FL!) so this hat would have to jive with that as well.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I am not a regular brimmed hat wearer, but have been wearing lots of flat caps recently. So maybe I'm starting to wade into the hat wearing pond a bit. I think I've seen stylemaster "like" hats in regular stores/malls in NJ/NYC but I think those might come across a bit too "brooklyn hipster" for me. Will the larger crowned Fed iV becoming less imposing with a deep bash of some type? I also frequently wear various leather jackets (no surprise being on FL!) so this hat would have to jive with that as well.
This is my Carbon Gray Fed, looking lighter in color than it actually is:

Carbon_Fed_03.jpg Carbon_Fed_02.jpg

It has a kind of C-crown with dome to clear my head rather than the Indiana Jones-ish centerdent -- so the crown does seem a bit more imposing. The width of the brim was what appeared imposing to me at first, but not any more.

While I don't have an Akubra Fedora/Sydney, pics I've seen here make it look like a good choice for a moderate-brimmed hat. Apparently the main difference between Stylemaster and Fedora (I think) is that the latter comes open crown. But there are videos here to show you how to shape the crown; I did it on the Fed without any trouble.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Paul, the Stylemaster also has a bound brim (which adds an elegant touch), but is otherwise indeed similar to the Fedora/Sydney.

The Stylemaster only looks like Brooklyn hipster hat at a distance. Once you have it in hand, it's obviously a REAL hat, not a bogus cloth wannabe-fedora or some moldy thrift-store leftover.

Hey, we all wear Feds with leather jackets here. The Fed IV is big, but not huge. Consider it like a full-size car... where the Stylemaster's a mid-size.

(I used to have a Fed III - which had even larger dimensions than the current model, and it just always felt like too much hat for me. So I ultimately replaced it with a Campdraft. Only slightly smaller, but it suits me a lot better.)

The Fed IV has a dimensional brim (shorter on the sides) and is ~2.5 in x 2 7/8 in, I think. I don't know the crown height but it is higher than a Fedora, I think. According to Hats Direct, it is open crown, as well.

The Fedora has a 3.5" raw edge brim and 5.5" open crown. Perhaps a bit less imposing than a Fed IV.

Fedora in Burnt Oak, open crown and creased.
Image1.png
Image13.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21