Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you look at the specs on Akubra's web page the Fedora and the stylemaster have the same brim size. This means the difference between the two are colour and if you like the bash on the Stylemaster (as the fedora comes open crown). Now between the Fedora and the Federation you are only looking at another 1/4" added to the front and back of the brim. But the crown is straighter with no real taper. This means you have more room to style differently. Its worth noting the Federation is more if a Golden era fedora while the Fedora is more modern. Just to throw another option out there you alwasy have the Squatter as well. But you are looking at almost 3" brim in an open crown fedora.
If you are looking for a modern, middle of the road kind of hat stick with the Stylemaster or Fedora. Something with more of a vintage "personal touch" look go for the Federation or Squatter.
My two cents worth.
Now lets wait for someone to bring up the Campdraft. Good for the country or city. :D
Johnny

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Just to further complicate my decision, which Akubra style / styles do you think would "fit in" with a person in a Toyota 4Runner. ha! Clearly it would be a different hat (or purse) if I drove a Prius !!

If you look at the specs on Akubra's web page the Fedora and the stylemaster have the same brim size. This means the difference between the two are colour and if you like the bash on the Stylemaster (as the fedora comes open crown). Now between the Fedora and the Federation you are only looking at another 1/4" added to the front and back of the brim. But the crown is straighter with no real taper. This means you have more room to style differently. Its worth noting the Federation is more if a Golden era fedora while the Fedora is more modern. Just to throw another option out there you alwasy have the Squatter as well. But you are looking at almost 3" brim in an open crown fedora.
If you are looking for a modern, middle of the road kind of hat stick with the Stylemaster or Fedora. Something with more of a vintage "personal touch" look go for the Federation or Squatter.
My two cents worth.
Now lets wait for someone to bring up the Campdraft. Good for the country or city. :D
Johnny

Agree with everything you say, except the Stylemaster has a bound brim, and the Fedora (as opposed to the Stylemaster and the Sydney) has a wind trolley. Believe it or not, that's what sold a geek like me on the Fedora - a string with a button on it!

Everybody should own at least one Campdraft, but I figured I'd already mucked things up with my Fedora spiel.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Just to further complicate my decision, which Akubra style / styles do you think would "fit in" with a person in a Toyota 4Runner. ha! Clearly it would be a different hat (or purse) if I drove a Prius !!
A Toyota 4Runner? Fed IV or Campdraft. With my Western-flavored fedoras, OR and Stratoliner clones, plus cowboy boots, I always think I should be driving a pickup or SUV instead of a Buick Regal.

The Fed IV has a dimensional brim (shorter on the sides) and is ~2.5 in x 2 7/8 in, I think. I don't know the crown height but it is higher than a Fedora, I think. According to Hats Direct, it is open crown, as well.

The Fedora has a 3.5" raw edge brim and 5.5" open crown. Perhaps a bit less imposing than a Fed IV.

Fedora in Burnt Oak, open crown and creased.
View attachment 66047 View attachment 66048

Really like the Ryobi hat stand with the green tea with goji berry and Wolfgang Puck, Braeakfast in Bed boxes and the Tobasco in the background. Makes me think, "you might be eclectic if." Then again, I'm aware of some of your musical tastes.

Gromulus

Practically Family
A Toyota 4Runner? Fed IV or Campdraft. With my Western-flavored fedoras, OR and Stratoliner clones, plus cowboy boots, I always think I should be driving a pickup or SUV instead of a Buick Regal.

My daily driver is a lifted 2004 4Runner. Campdrafts and FED IVs are my usual daily lids. One thing to be aware of....most generation 4Runners have relatively low roofs (to compensate for the higher ground clearance dimension). If you are tall than a high crown hat may be an issue. At 5'7" I just have to watch getting in and out with my hat on.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
This is my Carbon Gray Fed, looking lighter in color than it actually is:

View attachment 66040 View attachment 66041

It has a kind of C-crown with dome to clear my head rather than the Indiana Jones-ish centerdent -- so the crown does seem a bit more imposing. The width of the brim was what appeared imposing to me at first, but not any more.

While I don't have an Akubra Fedora/Sydney, pics I've seen here make it look like a good choice for a moderate-brimmed hat. Apparently the main difference between Stylemaster and Fedora (I think) is that the latter comes open crown. But there are videos here to show you how to shape the crown; I did it on the Fed without any trouble.
one of the nicest looking Akubra hats I've seen
well done

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Now we're getting somewhere! So it's between a Fed IV (charcoal, moonstone, brown) or Campdraft (green) as my first real lid

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Now we're getting somewhere! So it's between a Fed IV (charcoal, moonstone, brown) or Campdraft (green) as my first real lid
honestly ... as someone who is not a huge Akubra fan but owns many ... and has owned many ... including the FedIV and CDs ... I would say for what you are looking for go with the FedIV
it's a really nice hat that can be dressed up ... probably traditionally a bit more than the CD... but can be worn just as casually as the CD with some jeans and a nice shirt

from what I have seen ... when someone gets a CD as their first hat they are usually slightly intimidated by the amount of hat that it is and end up creasing it so low that it starts to look strange in contrast to the wide brim

with the Fed you won't be overwhelmed and it is a good introduction to proper hats

moonstone is a very nice versatile color

good luck my friend

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK 50s or earlier is a easy basic "rule of thumb" to remember. Thanks.

Since the 60s brought the lower crown that makes me ask another question. How tall does the crown need to be for a good diamond bash? I've been playing around with a late 60s early 70s Cavanagh I recently got off eBay. To me it seems that when I put a diamond bash in the crown there is little room for my head.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
honestly ... as someone who is not a huge Akubra fan but owns many ... and has owned many ... including the FedIV and CDs ... I would say for what you are looking for go with the FedIV
it's a really nice hat that can be dressed up ... probably traditionally a bit more than the CD... but can be worn just as casually as the CD with some jeans and a nice shirt

from what I have seen ... when someone gets a CD as their first hat they are usually slightly intimidated by the amount of hat that it is and end up creasing it so low that it starts to look strange in contrast to the wide brim

with the Fed you won't be overwhelmed and it is a good introduction to proper hats

moonstone is a very nice versatile color

good luck my friend

I agree with Moon this time.
Actually, I would be looking at the Fed 4 or the Fedora. Color would be my deciding factor. Moonstone is a very versatile and attractive color. I am wearing my CampDraft in it right now.

Fed

RJR

Hat-Akubra-FED IV-Carbon Gray 3.jpg
Another pic:FED IV in carbon gray.

in my experience you need 5 1/2 + to execute a proper looking diamond crease
preferably 5 3/4 to 6
With my big noggin, I find even with the Stetsonian I need to push back the center after trying a diamond/basin crease....I see some awesome creases in the movies that my head just will not allow.....they end up on it.:(
M
An example of my grey Strat basin creased for my big head.
My Premier Strat in grey.jpg

Last edited:

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
So I'll probably end up with a larger brim Fed eventually (once Im comfortable), but just to test the water I ended up ordering a Bogart in Black from Everything Australian. I found an old beat up /too small black fedora at my grandfathers and it actually looked decent with a black leather coat / along with my darker facial hair. Definitely a rougher "jersey" look which is more my style than proper gentleman hah! After I see how this one works for me I'll see what direction I should go in. Thanks for the feedback / input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy