Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
Can any of you folks help me with something? Last night I was steaming my brim on my Fed IV to stiffen it and shape it a bit now the sweat band has some kind of a sticky thing going on. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, while what you say is true I suspect @wcbrown is seeking out advice on how to fix the sticky thing that's going on with his sweatband.

Other than gently wiping it with a damp (not wet) cloth I can't think of anything. Can you?
I know what he was looking for

and I've never experienced the sticky situation because steam has never hit any of my sweatbands

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Are the Akubra sweatbands made of leather, or that funky man-made material that I see in modern Stetsons and Dobbs hats? I had a Dobbs sweat disintegrate on me. It would leave leave greasy black smudges on my forehead every time I wore the hat. I took it to a fairly local hatter and he replaced the sweat for something like $25; plus, it was sized and shaped to my head so now it fits like a custom.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Are the Akubra sweatbands made of leather, or that funky man-made material that I see in modern Stetsons and Dobbs hats? I had a Dobbs sweat disintegrate on me. It would leave leave greasy black smudges on my forehead every time I wore the hat. I took it to a fairly local hatter and he replaced the sweat for something like $25; plus, it was sized and shaped to my head so now it fits like a custom.
Akubra sweats are leather

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
Thanks you guys, I really did not expose the band to any steam I was holding the hat upside down, sort of like palming a basketball, only on the inside. I tried the Lexol thing, to no avail.......

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Thanks you guys, I really did not expose the band to any steam I was holding the hat upside down, sort of like palming a basketball, only on the inside. I tried the Lexol thing, to no avail.......
That's very strange. I have steamed many Akubra hats and have never had a sticky sweatband as a result. I suggest you contact Hats Direct.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Very strange, indeed. Maybe a faulty sweat to start with? Do check with your Akubra dealer... if it's warranty work it won't be worth it to you unless they pay the shipping. I'm so spoiled with so many great hatters nearby...

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Can any of you folks help me with something? Last night I was steaming my brim on my Fed IV to stiffen it and shape it a bit now the sweat band has some kind of a sticky thing going on. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

Sounds like the sweatband has some kind of coating that the steam, even if indirectly, has broken down. You could try wiping the sweat with something like acetone (nail varnish remover).....try on a small surface first.
Chances are this is a one off dud sweatband & hopefully Akubra isn't going down the road of using cheaper corrected grain leather sweats to keep down costs.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Maybe also try a gentle leather cleaner, then, like saddle soap or.... before you step up to stronger cleaners like acetone (as suggested above). Otherwise, it sounds like a new sweat is in order. But please do check with your Akubra dealer, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto