Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
Any consensus opinion on the Stetson New York? I'm considering giving myself a treat. I find it interesting that DelMonico is sold out of my size, but there are no reviews on the web page. Presumably people are buying them. Do buyers just not want to talk about it? It's an expensive hat, at least I think it is. For the less expensive $200 hats, the reviews are endless.

ariahokas

Familiar Face
Hey fellow loungers! I'm in the process of building my workshop in order to produce hats at a faster rate.

I am looking for information on this elusive ASM 1107-1 sewing machine. It's a replica of the Singer 107 machines.

I cannot seem to find a single shred of info about it online. Anyone know?

Thanks!

/Ari

ariahokas

Familiar Face
Any consensus opinion on the Stetson New York? I'm considering giving myself a treat. I find it interesting that DelMonico is sold out of my size, but there are no reviews on the web page. Presumably people are buying them. Do buyers just not want to talk about it? It's an expensive hat, at least I think it is. For the less expensive $200 hats, the reviews are endless.

I don't have much experience with that particular hat, but I've seen a Sovereign in person and typically the thread work is all over the place. Even the $330 open road has some very sloppy thread work on it for hat price.

I'd say for $200, you're better off getting a custom hat done by Alleycat or Gannon here on the forum, or even me.

Just my 2¢, good luck!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I don't have much experience with that particular hat, but I've seen a Sovereign in person and typically the thread work is all over the place. Even the $330 open road has some very sloppy thread work on it for hat price.

I'd say for $200, you're better off getting a custom hat done by Alleycat or Gannon here on the forum, or even me.

Just my 2¢, good luck!
great looking hat, hadn't seen it before i don't think. Reminds me of some of the older syetson fedoras on the forum, although the photo being delivered to my phone isn't much to go by. If I jad that money for one hat I might go te custom route, or wait until an exceptional mode edge / cavanagh edge stetson came up on the bay, so a finer finished unused vintage and throw a bid at it, then 10 seconds to go with high max bid.

ariahokas

Familiar Face
great looking hat, hadn't seen it before i don't think. Reminds me of some of the older syetson fedoras on the forum, although the photo being delivered to my phone isn't much to go by. If I jad that money for one hat I might go te custom route, or wait until an exceptional mode edge / cavanagh edge stetson came up on the bay, so a finer finished unused vintage and throw a bid at it, then 10 seconds to go with high max bid.
100%

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I am going to be in Reston VA and then Philadelphia for work on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 August. Are there any hatters / hat shops worth visiting in those places? I live in the UK so taking advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hey fellow loungers! I'm in the process of building my workshop in order to produce hats at a faster rate.

I am looking for information on this elusive ASM 1107-1 sewing machine. It's a replica of the Singer 107 machines.

I cannot seem to find a single shred of info about it online. Anyone know?

Thanks!

/Ari
I believe that Jim at JW Hats in Utah will be able to help you.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I owned one and sold it
the felt is very nice ... Matt did a great with the materials anf felt blend ... but I did not like the dimensions at all.
the crown seemed too low and tapered for the brim width
it is far better quality than any other modern Stetson I've owned or handled but it is still way overpriced.
overall it is a nice hat ... the felt is very close to what we find on vintage hats ... like I said Mr. Deckard nailed it in that department ... but that is as far as the good went for me with this particular piece.
I'll find a few photos that I have of it and put them up

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Here is the NY I had
Tried multiple creases but it never looked right to me

Hope this helps your decision

9e68eac702f53ad435101a603b59abab.jpg

8359fda6ffa9650d112c1e5015ede647.jpg

04cae5165e7358ccce273fbca8bae12d.jpg

4e6439aa5d73480aae0950b2de48a5d5.jpg

5ef5bfe499de08ef91594d11221843ba.jpg

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

Last edited:

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Question on Winchester Felt Beaver vs Rabbit

I know this topic has been discussed but I am looking for anyone that did a direct comparison from any of the custom hatters that made them a lightweight hat (extra pouncing) that could provide a 1:1 apples to apples comparison of the felt. In summary I know most go for the extra expense in the beaver but wanted to really hear of any direct comparisons.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

I know this topic has been discussed but I am looking for anyone that did a direct comparison from any of the custom hatters that made them a lightweight hat (extra pouncing) that could provide a 1:1 apples to apples comparison of the felt. In summary I know most go for the extra expense in the beaver but wanted to really hear of any direct comparisons.
Winchesters rabbit felt is not great at all ... it reminds me of your basic Akubra felt that you would find on a Campdraft ... which I think is fine when you are spending $125 ... but no hatter is making anyone a hat for that price

the beaver felt is very nice ... especially when finished by a good hatter
I have zero complaints about any of my customs made from Winchester beaver

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not to say anything bad about Stetson but for that price you can buy a custom made hat. Just about everyone has a felt in that price range. All mine are from Art Fawcett at VS Custom hats, his Joey felt is $275. Heck you can get a 100% beaver from North West Hats for $250. Black sheep hat works has some fantastic looking stuff around the $300 mark. Trust me when I tell you - Treat yourself to a tailor made hat. Well worth the wait.
Johnny

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Not to say anything bad about Stetson but for that price you can buy a custom made hat. Just about everyone has a felt in that price range. All mine are from Art Fawcett at VS Custom hats, his Joey felt is $275. Heck you can get a 100% beaver from North West Hats for $250. Black sheep hat works has some fantastic looking stuff around the $300 mark. Trust me when I tell you - Treat yourself to a tailor made hat. Well worth the wait.
Johnny
Johnny is on the spot as they say

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Ken I would talk to all the different hatters first and get some feedback before making a decision.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Call the Stetson/Hatco Outlet in Garland Tx. If the have that hat it would most likely sell between $90-$125. No way would I pay full retail for that hat.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Another complicating factor is that Winchester does different felts for different hatters. John Penman says his rabbit felt isn't the same as others (he's a guy who holds his cards close to his chest). And it actually molds quite easily, I hand creased mine into a pork pie just for fun.

But it's usually better to go with beaver.
John also gets some imported, European and south American IIRC, felts in both rabbit and beaver. You can tell the quality in your hands if you are ever in his shop, and those felts understandably command higher prices in the finished hats.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Winchesters rabbit felt is not great at all ... it reminds me of your basic Akubra felt that you would find on a Campdraft ... which I think is fine when you are spending $125 ... but no hatter is making anyone a hat for that price

the beaver felt is very nice ... especially when finished by a good hatter
I have zero complaints about any of my customs made from Winchester beaver
Another complicating factor is that Winchester does different felts for different hatters. John Penman says his rabbit felt isn't the same as others (he's a guy who holds his cards close to his chest). And it actually molds quite easily, I hand creased mine into a pork pie just for fun.

But it's usually better to go with beaver.
Ken I would talk to all the different hatters first and get some feedback before making a decision.

Thanks all for the feedback. It seems like "most" people going for a custom hat pay the extra $50 or so for the beaver. I have not seen many go for a lightweight hat in rabbit and I am guessing for apparent reasons. Hard to really get a feel for the difference between the two at least for lightweight hats. thanks again.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
John also gets some imported, European and south American IIRC, felts in both rabbit and beaver. You can tell the quality in your hands if you are ever in his shop, and those felts understandably command higher prices in the finished hats.

In my hands is the key !!I wish I was into hats when I was in the area last summer (hillsboro Oregon) for some company training (company I work for in NC recently merged with a company in OR)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all for the feedback. It seems like "most" people going for a custom hat pay the extra $50 or so for the beaver. I have not seen many go for a lightweight hat in rabbit and I am guessing for apparent reasons. Hard to really get a feel for the difference between the two at least for lightweight hats. thanks again.
what are you considering Ken that prompts you to ask the question ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner