Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Akubra campdraft, bluegrass green or silver belly? Which is more versatile? Which is more casual? If I wear jeans and heavy metal band t shirts which is best? If this was your only hat because it was your first hat which would it be? Thanks!
This is really really subjective. I have a CD in Bluegrass, love it but does not get a ton of head time as the colour as nice as it is does not go with a lot of my clothing. I am about to get a Silver belly in the hope it will go with more things. From what I can gather here in the Lounge the SB has a lot of brown/tan undertones so it may not go with your greys and blacks in the wardrobe.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Akubra campdraft, bluegrass green or silver belly? Which is more versatile? Which is more casual? If I wear jeans and heavy metal band t shirts which is best? If this was your only hat because it was your first hat which would it be? Thanks!

DISCLAIMER : ONE MANS OPINON

the Bluegrass is a much nicer hat ... goes with everything ... green really is that way by nature ... literally

the "silverbelly" is a cheap looking hat ... probably the only hat I've ever owned that I did not really like at all

I have to agree with Belfastboy--it's really subjective. I have three Campdrafts--Bluegrass Green, Taupe Fawn, and Silverbelly--and find I wear the Taupe Fawn far more than the other two. I regularly wear a lot of black and dark blue tee shirts, and the Taupe Fawn just seems to be a more "neutral" and "casual" color and hue that is more versatile to me; not a light as the Silverbelly, and not as dark as the Bluegrass Green.

kutDCB7.jpg

That being said, if you don't like brown hats I'd go with the Bluegrass Green. It really is a wonderful color, and you won't have to be as concerned about it showing dirt, dust, and stains like you might with a light color like Silverbelly.

Normally, I'd say silverbelly, but something about Akubra's dye mix never looked right too me. Too much on the taupe side. Your mileage may vary.

Nobody here is going to advocate for owning just one hat however. ;)
On the other hand I am at the point of tooo much choice and I find myself indecisively standing in my closet trying to decide which one to wear today. I find myself actually longing for the day when I only had half dozen or so....it was much easier!!!

hccbo

New in Town
Thanks for all the great help! Everything Australian has my me back on my heels now that it appears the fawn color is available in my size as well w/o a three month wait. Between silverbelly and fawn, what is going to read more Western/less formal?

In general, what do you consider to be the least formal, most laid back color for any open road style hat?

Rockwater

A-List Customer
IMG_7013.JPG
Hoping to get some expert help on dating this VS stratoliner. After scouring these excellent forums, I'm guessing early 50's. The felt is in wonderful condition with no obvious stains or signs of distress. The liner, however, was Brylcreem city, with heavy verdigris on the band reed. It is now ready for everyday wear after I cleaned the liner and scraped and stabilized the verdigris. All thanks goes to the many posts about how to deal with these issues.
IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6945.JPG

I would love to get a vintage pin, any suggestions. I have the oval strat box.

View attachment 81444 Hoping to get some expert help on dating this VS stratoliner. After scouring these excellent forums, I'm guessing early 50's. The felt is in wonderful condition with no obvious stains or signs of distress. The liner, however, was Brylcreem city, with heavy verdigris on the band reed. It is now ready for everyday wear after I cleaned the liner and scraped and stabilized the verdigris. All thanks goes to the many posts about how to deal with these issues.
View attachment 81446
View attachment 81447

View attachment 81449

NOW I understand... (almost)!
NOT a VS, (that would be Vintage Silhouettes, by Art Fawcett) but a nice vintage Stetson from (guessing, here) the 1950s. Congrats on a GREAT lid, Rockwater!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 81444 Hoping to get some expert help on dating this VS stratoliner. After scouring these excellent forums, I'm guessing early 50's. The felt is in wonderful condition with no obvious stains or signs of distress. The liner, however, was Brylcreem city, with heavy verdigris on the band reed. It is now ready for everyday wear after I cleaned the liner and scraped and stabilized the verdigris. All thanks goes to the many posts about how to deal with these issues.
View attachment 81446
View attachment 81447

View attachment 81449
your hat is from the 50s

that manufacturer label was introduced around 1952 and lasted into the early 60s ... the red and orange labels were still more common around that time they were introduced .
naturally there was a transition period ... it became more common in the mid to late 50s

I think a safe guess without having the hat in hand to investigate further is early to mid 50s

very nice hat ... enjoy it

... could you post a closer photo of the crest on the tip of the liner and also the one on the sweat ?

Rockwater

A-List Customer
IMG_7023.JPG
IMG_7026.JPG

I lost a bit of gold paint in the cleaning process, but hey, it's no longer creepy.
View attachment 81446
View attachment 81447

View attachment 81449
I would love to get a vintage pin
your hat is from the 50s

that manufacturer label was introduced around 1952 and lasted into the early 60s ... the red and orange labels were still more common around that time they were introduced .
naturally there was a transition period ... it became more common in the mid to late 50s

I think a safe guess without having the hat in hand to investigate further is early to mid 50s

very nice hat ... enjoy it

... could you post a closer photo of the crest on the tip of the liner and also the one on the sweat ?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for all the great help! Everything Australian has my me back on my heels now that it appears the fawn color is available in my size as well w/o a three month wait. Between silverbelly and fawn, what is going to read more Western/less formal?

In general, what do you consider to be the least formal, most laid back color for any open road style hat?
Fawn.
My two cents anyway
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner