Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Mike is really busy right now, he has orders coming out of his ears. I'll have to wait to wear my next custom light blue/white duplex until next straw season, looks like it will be a Christmas present now.
I am taking the plunge on a duplex as well but getting Art to make me one for Christmas. I am sending him a vintage Borsa with a damaged front pinch from which he will cut out the brim. I have one in the queue from Mike asking for a mid October delivery

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Going to the mountains. What hat to take? SnowyRiver, coolabah or Cattleman? And yes I will only take one.
f038961213aad4c82b757e564dfef407.jpg

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willebe

A-List Customer
I have finally bid a won a used Resistol Stagecoach. Now what are the necessary things that I must do regarding cleaning, etc., since I know nothing about the hat's history. Are there any must do's and don'ts? I attempted a search, but many we're older and the pics wouldn't load.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have finally bid a won a used Resistol Stagecoach. Now what are the necessary things that I must do regarding cleaning, etc., since I know nothing about the hat's history. Are there any must do's and don'ts? I attempted a search, but many we're older and the pics wouldn't load.

Depends on just how dirty it is. I have had great success with using Naptha to clean real dirty vintage hats. The thread here in the Lounge gives good directions. Use "naptha bath" in the search function I think. Other than that a good shot of steam and a brushing will refresh hats that are not stained or dirty. I always give a used hat a good steaming just to kill any cooties that may be lurking and then Lexol or equal on the leather sweat.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Personally I find your choice a bit bad, not because of someone messing with a western hat nor because I like the Stagecoach hat line.
Western wright felt can be hard to work. You should get a cheap lightweight fedora and after what you consider a success, move to heavier felts.
I know this because I did what you are going to try. The second felt I bought from FEPSA (120g) was very very cheap, like $10 and it worked out much more easy. They I tried a heavier felt (225g) and it got better than the first try.

Willebe, the Stagecoach will be just fine to work for the first time. I'm currently working on two, a black & a tanbark color. The steam cleaning is done. You should find photos in either the Western thread or the Stagecoach thread; don't remember which I put them in. Most important two things right off the top is: condition the sweat before trying to roll it out; never let the steam hit the sweat when steaming the underside of the brim.

All I have left to do is creasing & deciding on a hatband for the black.

Willebe

A-List Customer
Willebe, the Stagecoach will be just fine to work for the first time. I'm currently working on two, a black & a tanbark color. The steam cleaning is done. You should find photos in either the Western thread or the Stagecoach thread; don't remember which I put them in. Most important two things right off the top is: condition the sweat before trying to roll it out; never let the steam hit the sweat when steaming the underside of the brim.

All I have left to do is creasing & deciding on a hatband for the black.
Thanks, HJ. I will look through those threads and start preparing for the hat's arrival. I am sure I will have many more questions soon.

Willebe

A-List Customer
Personally I find your choice a bit bad, not because of someone messing with a western hat nor because I like the Stagecoach hat line.
Western wright felt can be hard to work. You should get a cheap lightweight fedora and after what you consider a success, move to heavier felts.
I know this because I did what you are going to try. The second felt I bought from FEPSA (120g) was very very cheap, like $10 and it worked out much more easy. They I tried a heavier felt (225g) and it got better than the first try.
I appreciate your honesty on my first attempt. The deal is done, and I will make use of the hat one way or another. I can shape and wear it, or play with conversion ideas. I honestly don't even know much about felt types, etc. So much to learn. I am having fun though. I like your hats, and I like the size of these stagecoaches. Thanks for the input, and I look forward to learning more from your experience.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Mike is really busy right now, he has orders coming out of his ears. I'll have to wait to wear my next custom light blue/white duplex until next straw season, looks like it will be a Christmas present now.
I sent him my $35 Milan to fix, change out the sweat and add a new pug or ribbon... and a hat body to make me a fine 400-484 wpsi Cuenca toquilla straw.

Willebe

A-List Customer
Depends on just how dirty it is. I have had great success with using Naptha to clean real dirty vintage hats. The thread here in the Lounge gives good directions. Use "naptha bath" in the search function I think. Other than that a good shot of steam and a brushing will refresh hats that are not stained or dirty. I always give a used hat a good steaming just to kill any cooties that may be lurking and then Lexol or equal on the leather sweat.
Thanks, Belfast. I will look into ordering those items, and I will search for those specific items in the threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner