Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
I'd like to have recommendations for really good quality hat brushes. How much should I be spending on a hat brush? What should it be made of? Is a good quality hat brush one that will be good for life? What should I be looking for? I see two shapes of hat brushes too; the short ones with rounded edges and the long ones with a handle. Do most of you use them for different purposes or do you really only need one good one? A quick search on Amazon has an overwhelming amount of brushes, but who knows if they're any good?

I bought a Bickmore Light Hat Brush earlier this year and it seems to be a real piece of junk. The bristles (which claim to be 100% horsehair) are coming off the brush and weaving into the hat whenever I brush it (yes, I AM going counter-clockwise). This is the Bickmore Light Hat Brush that I bought:
http://bickmore.com/product/light-hat-brush/
getimage.php

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to have recommendations for really good quality hat brushes. How much should I be spending on a hat brush? What should it be made of? Is a good quality hat brush one that will be good for life? What should I be looking for? I see two shapes of hat brushes too; the short ones with rounded edges and the long ones with a handle. Do most of you use them for different purposes or do you really only need one good one? A quick search on Amazon has an overwhelming amount of brushes, but who knows if they're any good?

I bought a Bickmore Light Hat Brush earlier this year and it seems to be a real piece of junk. The bristles (which claim to be 100% horsehair) are coming off the brush and weaving into the hat whenever I brush it (yes, I AM going counter-clockwise). This is the Bickmore Light Hat Brush that I bought:
http://bickmore.com/product/light-hat-brush/
getimage.php
any horsehair hat brush is fine ... I recommend having black for dark hats and blonde for lighter colored hats

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
any horsehair hat brush is fine ... I recommend having black for dark hats and blonde for lighter colored hats

But are they all made of the same quality? I mean maybe they're all horsehair, but the way the hair are fastened to the wood may not all be the same. I'm sure most of you don't have problems with the bristles coming off the brush and getting woven into the hat right?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
But are they all made of the same quality? I mean maybe they're all horsehair, but the way the hair are fastened to the wood may not all be the same. I'm sure most of you don't have problems with the bristles coming off the brush and getting woven into the hat right?
never had a problem with a horse hair brush and I buy the cheapest ones available

Or, if you want to save some money, I would go with Mike Miller of NW Hats. He does a stellar Indy (I'm told, have not seen one in person), if you are looking for instant gratification, customs require some patience.
If you check out NorthWest Hats facebook page and scroll through the hat pics you will come across two of Mike's Indy versions. I own 6 of Mike's creations (alas no Indy) and have just ordered a seventh. He does stellar work and IMHO is waaay underpriced for the value he delivers.

Has there been any consideration given to dividing the classifieds up? I know it's not a busy enough subforum to be truly necessary, but if it was divided into Hats, Shoes, and Clothes (i.e. Leather Jackets, let's be real) folks could subscribe to any or all, which would help both buyers and sellers.

Oh please make this happen. Not only would it help he find hats for sale I won't be tempted into buying a $800 leather jacket. I'd love to see hats get their own sub category.

If you check out NorthWest Hats facebook page and scroll through the hat pics you will come across two of Mike's Indy versions. I own 6 of Mike's creations (alas no Indy) and have just ordered a seventh. He does stellar work and IMHO is waaay underpriced for the value he delivers.
+1 I have two on the blocks right now. Totally agree!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Too intensive to make a sepearate catagory for each article of clothing. One for shoes/boots. One for hats. One for sports coats, overcoats, jackets... outerwear... shirts... bags...
Ain't gonna happen.

FYI: I see ebay sellers listing all kinds of hats variously as Indiana Jones, Whippet, Stratoliner, Open Road, etc, etc, and the hats commonly have nothing in common with the stated models at all. Buyer Beware.

You may very well have a quite nice fur felt hat, but it appears to have no real connection to a "Raiders" hat.

ETA: The same goes for "Genuine Montecristi Panama Hat(s)."

To illustrate the point, here is a Stetson Whippet for sale right now on eBay, and the price is right too:

0ec12a04224055eeb2b5b253b4d708b9.jpg

Not only is it a Whippet, it's also a one-of-a-kind! Buyer beware indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
Too intensive to make a sepearate catagory for each article of clothing. One for shoes/boots. One for hats. One for sports coats, overcoats, jackets... outerwear... shirts... bags...
Ain't gonna happen.

Should at the very least have a separate category for Hats, and then the rest. This is after all a hat forum....
It doesn't need to have separate sections for each minute difference in clothing. Just Hats, Footwear, Suits, Coats, Misc. That's all that's needed. Everytime a certain article of clothing starts to fill up the Misc section, you create a new section for that.

I've operated dozens of message boards over the years. It's incredibly easy to create new sections and move threads to those sections. I'm going to be blunt but whomever is giving these excuses is lazy. Just because "you" don't want to take the time to do it, it doesn't mean it's not a good idea. It's not complicated at all. Give me access for a weekend and I'll have it done in no time.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Yes. And one called "coats and not coats" or "shoes and not shoes and maybe one called "outerwear and not not outerwear and not..."
Sorry as much as I'd like to see it ain't gonna happen.
I guess on The Coat Lounge they can have a dedicated coat classifieds thread and on The Outerwear Lounge they can have a dedicated outerwear classifieds thread. But this is The Fedora Lounge! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou