Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJR

How does he attach his brim? Sewn or snaps?
I guess he'd do as you wish but most of mine are snaps.He has a model designed to be loose;see the used denim and speedster.The one I showed above is not fixed. Cap-B!Wear-Custom linen & leather 4.jpg

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I'm not sure where else to post this non-hat related question.

I have been using photobucket to host the photos that I post here. But it seems they no longer support free hosting of images to be used on 3rd party forums like FL.

Instead of my photos, all that I get on FL is this
P500.jpg

I don't think the service they offer is worth US$400 per year. I'd like to know what hosting service other members use for the images they post on FL.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Post directly to the forum. Files shouldn't be too big (100 kb is plenty).
How do you post directly to the forum? If I click on the Image button I am prompted to add a url. Is there another button I need to look for or do I have to change one of my settings?

Ken David

One of the Regulars
In the interest of accuracy Mike at NW Hats offers a lower price point on both beaver and rabbit felt. Not sure if he offers a by mail conformateur as Art at VS does but if you drop into his shop you will get fitted. It is a small thing but custom hatters where I have the conformateur on file, their hats fit bit better than the ones made just to my measure. A small thing but important in a true bespoke hat.

Just came across this post. When I was doing some comparison of custom Hatters not too long ago I found that Mike at NW did have the best price point for both Beaver ($250) and Rabbit ($200) plus any added fees for brim binding (not sure if it is $25?? like Gannon). I know Gannon adjusted his prices recently and is now listed for $275 for beaver (was little cheaper) and $175 for Rabbit. Since most go for the nominal increase in the Beaver NW is the lower price. I know Mike at NW tries to keep a certain price point for his customers. As far as lead time Mike at NW is a little longer these days 12-16 wks due to the increase in sales due to the newswpaper write up, not sure of Gannon's lead time? Mike at NW does not use a confomateuar, you provide exact dimensions (circumferences etc) and he finds a block that is the closest I beleive. Both hatters from what I see do incredible work but unfortuneately I have not had the experience comparing them side by side. Would be interested in hearing opinions.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Just came across this post. When I was doing some comparison of custom Hatters not too long ago I found that Mike at NW did have the best price point for both Beaver ($250) and Rabbit ($200) plus any added fees for brim binding (not sure if it is $25?? like Gannon). I know Gannon adjusted his prices recently and is now listed for $275 for beaver (was little cheaper) and $175 for Rabbit. Since most go for the nominal increase in the Beaver NW is the lower price. I know Mike at NW tries to keep a certain price point for his customers. As far as lead time Mike at NW is a little longer these days 12-16 wks due to the increase in sales due to the newswpaper write up, not sure of Gannon's lead time? Mike at NW does not use a confomateuar, you provide exact dimensions (circumferences etc) and he finds a block that is the closest I beleive. Both hatters from what I see do incredible work but unfortuneately I have not had the experience comparing them side by side. Would be interested in hearing opinions.
I don't think the price differences are significant, personally. If someone makes the decision to buy a custom hat based on one being $25 less than another then that's their choice but I advise against it.

I have hats from Mike at NW Hat Co, Michael Gannon, Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes, and John Penman. My deposit is in with Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works for both my wife and me.

All of these hatters create wonderful hats. Tim at Alley Kat and Esther Weis also make great hats as evidenced by their work posted regularly on this board.

I have a hat coming from Michael Gannon in a few days. It's my second. I already have 2 hats from Mike at NW Hat Co., as well as 3 rebuilds coming this week, too. They are both really good and I highly recommend them. Look at their websites, look at the hats on Mike's Facebook page and Michael's hats on Instagram and Etsy. I think you'll be impressed.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I don't think the price differences are significant, personally. If someone makes the decision to buy a custom hat based on one being $25 less than another then that's their choice but I advise against it.

I have hats from Mike at NW Hat Co, Michael Gannon, Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes, and John Penman. My deposit is in with Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works for both my wife and me.

All of these hatters create wonderful hats. Tim at Alley Kat and Esther Weis also make great hats as evidenced by their work posted regularly on this board.

I have a hat coming from Michael Gannon in a few days. It's my second. I already have 2 hats from Mike at NW Hat Co., as well as 3 rebuilds coming this week, too. They are both really good and I highly recommend them. Look at their websites, look at the hats on Mike's Facebook page and Michael's hats on Instagram and Etsy. I think you'll be impressed.
+1 for Michael Gannon and Esther Weis. I don't have any experience with the others...yet

GaryCooper1938

New in Town
Hey quick question I'm new here and looking to own my first fedora. I've been eyeing the Stetson temple for quite some time, but I was curious as to the difference between a 2 and 5/8 brim vs a 2 and 1/2 brim. I would love to see photos. Also what brim size is most in line with the 1930's-1940's?

Ken David

One of the Regulars

No arguments regarding a $25 difference between 2 hatters. Other hatters are a little more in the price difference so may or may not be a factor along with lead times.

I totally agree about all these hatters creating wonderful hats, I do regularly check out facebook, instagram, Etsy, FL, company websites etc for Tim at Alley Kat, Esther Weis, Gannon, Mike at NW, VS, BSHW....all have wonderful creations indeed!!! Wish I can order 1 from each to do a comparison but unfortunately can't drop the almost ~$2K that it would take :( However after almost a year in the hat realm (reading a ton of FL and buying mostly new moderns from Stetson factory outlet and akubra and used moderns/customs from this forum) I am pretty confident on what I like. I am in the process of unloading most of my modest collection of hats to free up the funds for some customs and this forum as really been a help on my plans in the future.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hey quick question I'm new here and looking to own my first fedora. I've been eyeing the Stetson temple for quite some time, but I was curious as to the difference between a 2 and 5/8 brim vs a 2 and 1/2 brim. I would love to see photos. Also what brim size is most in line with the 1930's-1940's?

The Temple has a dimensional brim which is shorter on the sides (2 3/8") and longer in the front and back (2 5/8"). I don't recall if we ever reached a consensus on whether or not this was an actual historical practice or not. The Temple takes its cue from the original Herbert Johnson lid that was modified for its use as 'the' Indiana Jones fedora.

The difference between 2 1/2 and 2 5/8 is fairly negligible. Either would have been a fairly common brim width at that point in time, likely dependent on the wearer's face shape and overall proportions. The difference is certainly not enough to disqualify one or the other from being a 30's -40's hat. Though to be pedantic about it, neither a 30's or 40's hat would have a blocked in crease. Those came around in felt hats around the 60's.

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Me being 5'6 with a relatively small frame and larger head a taller crown would make that look worse.

Any recommendations for trustworthy vintage sellers on Etsy?
Look at some of the hats that Eric aka @Short Balding Guy wears. You'll be surprised how good you look in a taller fedora that's balanced well.

I'm about 5'8" - 5'9" so not real tall, either. I don't think @moontheloon is real tall either. Take a Gander at the high crown hats he wears. And he WEARS those hats well...

This VS is about 4-3/4" tall as creased with a 2-5/8" brim
i-PbGVp6H-L.jpg

I visited with Mike prior to his store opening and he did use a conformateur so he has my "head" on file. I have a Gannon as well. I do have definite opinions on hatters but really hesitate to comment as it is sooo subjective. I have hats from 8 custom hatters and IMHO they all have a place in the market. Mike and Art are my go to guys as Mike crafted my first custom and both Mike and Art are in towns that we visit regularly (but not often) and I love to have at least a token personal connection with those I do business with.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I visited with Mike prior to his store opening and he did use a conformateur so he has my "head" on file. I have a Gannon as well. I do have definite opinions on hatters but really hesitate to comment as it is sooo subjective. I have hats from 8 custom hatters and IMHO they all have a place in the market. Mike and Art are my go to guys as Mike crafted my first custom and both Mike and Art are in towns that we visit regularly (but not often) and I love to have at least a token personal connection with those I do business with.
I love being in Oregon. Art, Mike, Michael, and John are all within driving distance for us. John and Michael are the closest. Mike is about 1-1/2 hours away and Art is about 4 hours away and Bob is about 3-1/2 hours away up in Washington.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic