Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any suggestions on cleaning the liner from this Champ? Already removed.

s-l1600.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had a Chatham, liked the proportions but the felt was very very stiff. It had the thinner dress weight felt but with the stiffness of a western. I repeat myself but for another $25 you can get a custom rabbit from Gannon.

Mine was very smooth right out of the store (JJ Hat Center, NYC), but not very stiff, and certainly not cowboy hat stiff.

I sold it about 30 years after I bought it and was instantly sorry I did.

With today's additional 30% off is $153 too much to ask for a new Stetson? The fur felt silver belly Stetson R Wood is made for Hats in the Belfry www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/stetson-r-wood.html and was originally $229. I love the silver belly color and have been pining over one for past few weeks. Also wanting a silver belly in a top quality hat. Any opinions out there? Thanks.

Have you looked at the new VS Off the Rack hats? Very limited in selection but a good hat at a good price and ready for immediate delivery. A Hat-Co Stetson or a VS from Art Fawcett? Easy call for me. The VS "dove" isn't Silverbelly but it's worth a look:
https://vscustomhats.com/off-the-rack/

I'll also add a vote for a custom Gannon at $175-200 for rabbit. Then again, there are lots of great custom hatters at this point that are worth a look.

I'm not totally against new Stetsons, but with the availability of so many fine custom hats it's hard to see the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockwater

A-List Customer
Hello Christopher. You might try contacting Art Fawcett. I believe he uses the plastic conformateur for his custom hats and I seem to recall that he mentioned B&L Products as a source. Many years ago I became frustrated with my own search for an affordable conformateur and finally ended up making one from flat wooden clothespins. I lovingly refer to it as the "Wheel of Pain". View attachment 97412

Homespun genius !

Have you looked at the new VS Off the Rack hats? Very limited in selection but a good hat at a good price and ready for immediate delivery. A Hat-Co Stetson or a VS from Art Fawcett? Easy call for me. The VS "dove" isn't Silverbelly but it's worth a look:

I'll also add a vote for a custom Gannon at $175-200 for rabbit. Then again, there are lots of great custom hatters at this point that are worth a look.

I'm not totally against new Stetsons, but with the availability of so many fine custom hats it's hard to see the value.

I fully agree with this and I have 3 modern Stetsons and actually like them. However, for the about the same money as my custom rabbits it does not represent "smart" money. Custom hats IMHO are a much better bang for the $$.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer

Thanks Deadly! Much appreciate the info. I'll look into other options. Kinda like the idea of a custom made rabbit fur as opposed to the Stetson I've been looking at. The VS site and Gannon both look good. Do you happen to know of any others you'd feel god about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy