Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Akubra is like the Toyota/Honda of hats. They're nice, they'll last forever, but if you're looking for luxury, it doesn't quite hit the mark. And I drive a Honda (and own an Akubra) so I cast no aspersions.

Well now, that probably explains why I have a bunch of Akubras. I (we) also have a bunch of Hondas! :)

cozy d

Familiar Face
Beavers can't make hats. They don't have opposable thumbs.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Touche' Frunobulax! Yes, but...

It's not a question of how he grips it, it's a simple matter of weight ratios....

Your typical American beaver is 30 inches long and weighs over 900 ounces...

50 beavers is a lot of beavers to be involved in the making of one 5 oz. hat :p

Touche' Frunobulax! Yes, but...

It's not a question of how he grips it, it's a simple matter of weight ratios....

Your typical American beaver is 30 inches long and weighs over 900 ounces...

50 beavers is a lot of beavers to be involved in the making of one 5 oz. hat :p
Could you even get 50 beavers to cooperate and agree to even make the hat?

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pics as soon as I can figure out how to get 'm up here. Got it off eb. Also working on a Beaver brand "100% pure beaver". Trying to stretch it from 7 to 1/8.
Looking forward to seeing your Bailey, I worked in a store that sold Bailey westerns in the 70s. They made some fine hats back then. I use Tapatalk for photo posting, it is very easy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pics as soon as I can figure out how to get 'm up here. Got it off eb. Also working on a Beaver brand "100% pure beaver". Trying to stretch it from 7 to 1/8.

Tapatalk is very easy for photos

You can ruin a hat trying to stretch it; but if you do your research first, go slow, and have the right tools, 1/8 is very doable.

712a4b368ecc328407e1ffcb09059ada.jpg
17c7c44159a932a1a7022f8d997f2df5.jpg

After getting it to the size you want, I'd keep a hat stretcher or a band block in it to keep it from shrinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever it is is now dry.
Get some Zippo Lighter fluid & soak a Q-tip, then dab it . I removed felt marker writing out of a vintage Stetson. It is basically naptha. Dab, don't rub cause that could smear it. I use talcum powder from my pool table to also lift stains. Sprinkle it on, gently finger-rub it in, brush or orange sponge away. HTH

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I know there are a lot of Open Road posts here (even a Guild) but I am not quite sure how to navigate all the info- so I'm asking here. I see an Open Road Royal, which I think is a softer version of the traditional Open Road 6X. From what I've read about Stetson fedoras, the Royal is a lower quality felt. But I've seen Open Road Royal Deluxe hats for $200+.

So, what are my options? Do I go for an Open Road 6x if I want a stiff, western style hat, and an Open Road Royal (or Deluxe) if I want a fedora-soft hat?

Any links to posts that answer my questions are welcome.

Edited- I think this link helps answer my question.

Last edited:
I know there are a lot of Open Road posts here (even a Guild) but I am not quite sure how to navigate all the info- so I'm asking here. I see an Open Road Royal, which I think is a softer version of the traditional Open Road 6X. From what I've read about Stetson fedoras, the Royal is a lower quality felt. But I've seen Open Road Royal Deluxe hats for $200+.

So, what are my options? Do I go for an Open Road 6x if I want a stiff, western style hat, and an Open Road Royal (or Deluxe) if I want a fedora-soft hat?

Any links to posts that answer my questions are welcome.

Edited- I think this link helps answer my question.
Another route would be to search out a vintage OR on Ebay. There is usually a few there to choose from. Are you a reasonable size? The huge sizes are always at a premium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy