Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Also, a colleague of mine is a pretty well known (in the public eye) proponent of the Open Road. He suggests I also consider the Open Road in straw. He said it's not that easy to find, but I'm wondering if he means the 10X version, or some other version about which I'm not aware.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
There are currently several versions of a "straw" OR.

There's the basic Shangtung one, which in most cases can be had for less than $80-90

There's a Panama version of the OR in real straw, and there are a few variations of the "twisted Panama" straw, some of which are vented.
Which is the more difficult to find version?

cozy d

Familiar Face
Yes, 7 1/4 seems to be the cut-off in between more and less easily attainable.
I copped this sweet 7-1/4 silverbelly 4X beaver Stetson OR on ebay a few months back for $62 + shipping, they're out there folks!
08e4ab37433f98d30b1f5fca35646220.jpg
303c2ed5c4d0cb892c913396dced7a39.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

cozy d

Familiar Face
those more modern ones are out there at those prices ... the early ones not so much ...

nice piece
Yeah, this one has an Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union tag, with the liner, I'm guessing 80's? The factory cattlemans crease was pretty stiff but after a lot of steam I made a wider shallower bullriders crease kind of thing out of it, which I really like. It's not all that vintage, but it gets its share of compliments, I keep it in the back of my car.

For westerns, I'm actually a bit of a Resistol fan, they have styles similar to open roads, more commonly in the long oval I prefer, and most often can be had at better values, IMHO.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

OldStrummer

Practically Family
My question is so trivial that rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask here.

I have to travel to California for the week on business. I can take only one hat. As a veteran traveler, I can pack everything I need for a week into a single suitcase. I am very good at color coordinating, so my attire will be a mix of navy blue blazer, two grey slacks and one pair of khakis, and an assortment of shirts the go with them. So, what is the best hat to wear? My choices are:
  • Grey Flechet fedora
  • Brown Mallory Eagle
  • Oxblood fedora (Bailey)
  • Loden Green fedora (Bailey)
  • Navy Blue pork pie (Hats in the Belfry)
  • Black fedora (Sterkowski)
  • Black fedora (Selentino)
I'm leaning toward one of the two black fedoras (the Selentino has a slighty wider brim). I've used spacers to make the Flechet fit, but both the Sterkowski and the Selentino just mold themselves to my head.

Your opinions, please?

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
My question is so trivial that rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask here.

I have to travel to California for the week on business. I can take only one hat. As a veteran traveler, I can pack everything I need for a week into a single suitcase. I am very good at color coordinating, so my attire will be a mix of navy blue blazer, two grey slacks and one pair of khakis, and an assortment of shirts the go with them. So, what is the best hat to wear? My choices are:
  • Grey Flechet fedora
  • Brown Mallory Eagle
I'm leaning toward one of the two black fedoras (the Selentino has a slighty wider brim). I've used spacers to make the Flechet fit, but both the Sterkowski and the Selentino just mold themselves to my head.

Your opinions, please?
When traveling to the Golden State, anything made of hemp is a good bet.

• Grey Flechet fedora
  • Brown Mallory Eagle

Your opinions, please?

A gray fedora with a dark (black) ribbon is probably the most versatile. It's a bit boring, but it works with the most outfits.

• Grey Flechet fedora
  • Brown Mallory Eagle

Your opinions, please?
Decisions, decisions...you have arrived Fred. I would go with your most comfortable, especially if it will be your only hat. Black may go with more, but California... You might need a Panama. I think the gray Flechet would be a statement.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Decisions, decisions...you have arrived Fred. I would go with your most comfortable, especially if it will be your only hat. Black may go with more, but California... You might need a Panama. I think the gray Flechet would be a statement.

Just to be clear: I'm traveling to NORTHERN California, where the temps are in the 30s at night and 50s during the day. No Panama hat here! Besides, I'm letting my socks be my fashion statement this week! :)
Socks.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn