Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Been

New in Town
Any ideas what hat this is?

Attachments

• 1F95B708-50D0-4108-A714-34BED2AC3AB0.jpeg
    1F95B708-50D0-4108-A714-34BED2AC3AB0.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 86

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The edge looks bound. I’m wondering if it might be a Akubra Campdraft, but I’m a newb...

That would be close, but the hat in the picture has no wind trolley. It's impossible to say for certain, but to my eye, that brim looks 3" which would be more than the Campdraft, although admittedly the two would be very similar looking in width. But my sense is that hat has different proportions than a Campdraft.

Been

New in Town
That would be close, but the hat in the picture has no wind trolley. It's impossible to say for certain, but to my eye, that brim looks 3" which would be more than the Campdraft, although admittedly the two would be very similar looking in width. But my sense is that hat has different proportions than a Campdraft.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm learning... What is a wind trolley? And thank you for all the input!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Forgive my ignorance, I'm learning... What is a wind trolley? And thank you for all the input!

Take a look at the campdrafts bow:
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/heritage-collection/products/campdraft-deluxe-open-crown

See the cloth covered button and thin string? That's the wind trolley, it's not very commonly used, and on some modern hats, is mostly decorative and not fully functional. But the idea was you could unloop the string from the crown of the hat and hook the button and to one's lapel or overcoat.

Last edited:

Been

New in Town
Take a look at the campdrafts bow:
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/heritage-collection/products/campdraft-deluxe-open-crown

See the cloth covered button and thin string? That's the wind trolley, it's not be commonly used, and on some modern hats, is mostly decorative and not fully functional. But the idea was you could unloop the string from the crown of the hat and hook the button and to one's lapel or overcoat.

Thank you! I've noticed the wind trolley on hats but wasn't sure what it was or its function!

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Thank you! I've noticed the wind trolley on hats but wasn't sure what it was or its function!

Has anyone actually used a wind trolley? I have a few hats with them but I have never used one or seen one used.

I must admit that I like the look of a wind trolley on the crown of a hat but I imagine using one would look pretty silly. But perhaps less silly than running across a road chasing a hat that'd just blown off your head...

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone actually used a wind trolley? I have a few hats with them but I have never used one or seen one used.

I must admit that I like the look of a wind trolley on the crown of a hat but I imagine using one would look pretty silly. But perhaps less silly than running across a road chasing a hat that'd just blown off your head...

I believe Eric @Short Balding Guy uses his Hats' wind trollies . They're handy , much like 4WD , you only need it when you need it , but they look good to me .

Two of my three Campdrafts no longer have the wind trolleys they came with, so unfortunately that's not much help. But unless the original ribbon has been replaced, I agree it's probably not a Campdraft.

It's difficult to determine the actual measurements of a hat in a photo unless you know the size. What I mean is, a 3" brim is going to be a 3" brim on any hat, but it looks wider on a smaller size hat than it does on a larger size hat because the crowns are different diameters; i.e., a smaller crown will make the brim appear to be wider. So unless that gent has a very small head, I'd guess that brim is closer to 3-1/4" which definitely rules out the Campdraft.

That being said, if all else fails any good custom hatter can duplicate that hat once they have your hat size and head measurements because they can use that information to extrapolate the approximate brim width and make sure the proportions are correct. With that photo being black and white the colors of the felt, ribbon, and brim binding would be up to you to determine, but that's where the fun comes in and makes the hat uniquely yours! :D

I have a vintage Resistol with a wind trolley. Never used it though, mainly because I very rarely wear the hat. Sort of a gray/blue.

As long as I've mentioned it, it's available for a trade for the right hat. I'm 7 3/8.
I too am a 7 3/8 and would like to add a blue/grey to my stable. What in general are you looking for? I have a light beige Stetson fedora bought from Bond on his etsy site with his trademark fedora bash.....but I have others up for trade. Drop me a PM with your "wants".
I can ship/receive from a US address and save you the hassle of customs clearance.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Greetings Andrew:
FYI: Nathaniel Finley posted a pic using his wind trolley about a week ago in the WHAYW if you want to see one in the wild and wind.
Be well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay