Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have an Akubra Country Club hat that is also made of polypropylene. It has a large area right above the pug that has an open weave so it breathes very well. It is one of my cooler wearing hats and we routinely get summer temperatures in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I bought it after reading how much @Chamuco liked his and he’s in some real heat down in Mexico.

If the hat breathes well and allows moisture to evaporate and body heat to dissipate, I don’t think “plastic” hats are necessarily hotter. My SunBody Guatemalan palm is my warmest wearing summer hat and my heavy hemp hats are next.

Just my personal observations.

Brent

This may sound a little weird to some of you, but I have a few well-vented summer hats already, so there's no real reason for me to get another, is there? Right? haha

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Ed Harris always sports some great hats in his movies. Anyone what straw he has on in his new netflix film, Kodachrome? Very sharp looking.
kodachrome-1.jpg

Been

New in Town
Hey All!

Can you give a rough age of this hat? Is hat name really "Royal Stetson"?

Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 8.25.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 8.25.13 AM.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 8.25.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 8.25.27 AM.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 8.25.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 8.25.37 AM.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 156

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Royal is a felt quality designation, not a model name. Most model names are lost to history unless you can track down an old Stetson catalogue and match it up. Although ostensibly the models had names, most of them were not individually identified on the sweatband.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a Royal Stetson that's been educationally guesstimated to the early-to-mid-50s. The logo on the inside is the older type than what appears in your hat, so I'd narrow it down a little to late-50s or newer.

And there are some hatters that can make them. Art Fawcett made a couple for me in the past, and I think Bob Jessee made a couple for @mikespens that are pretty special.

You know, Brent, this is a whole new dimension of our affliction... pugarees.
I really dig ‘em!

Certainly cheaper than a whole new hat. I ordered $45 worth of extra ribbons with my last Panama Hats Direct order. I was not impressed.

I’ll give DelMonico’s a call and VS has a hat of mine in their shop for work so I could save shipping my having them throw some in the box...you know I’m all about frugality

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
What do I need to look for when getting "white gas" for cleaning felts?
Bill, I tried the camp stove fuel from Academy, don't remember the brand but not Coleman. But I didn't think it worked very well. I have started buying VM&P Naptha from Kelly Moore paint store. It seems to work better. I does cost about $15 per gallon. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes but it's about $8 per quart. (I assume Academy is the big outdoor store in your part of the state like it is downhere)

Certainly cheaper than a whole new hat. I ordered $45 worth of extra ribbons with my last Panama Hats Direct order. I was not impressed.

I’ll give DelMonico’s a call and VS has a hat of mine in their shop for work so I could save shipping my having them throw some in the box...you know I’m all about frugality

I’ve bought some of the PHD pugs and ribbons in the past, too. As soon as I saw that the pugs were made to finish on the right (not left) side of the hat, I wasn’t very impressed either. (P0’d, actually!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany