Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Richard Morgan

One Too Many

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Those who have seen my recent acquisitions and read my posts know that I've taken to wearing paracord hatbands. They are interchangeable, and can be made in any color combination. Here's my first professional (I'm learning to make my own. My first attempt had me miss a weave or two :eek:).
paracord1.jpg
paracord2.jpg

Q: I am heading to Costa Rica for a week of photo-taking and exploration. I am taking only one hat. I'm thinking of my Stetson Reward Shantung. Would anyone suggest something else (Akubra Campdraft, Doobs Rosebud, other)?

What kind of weather are you expecting? Is there rain in the forecast? As a thought, maybe plan on buying a new hat while you’re down there. I wouldn’t take felt because it’s too warm and I wouldn’t take Shantung if it looks like it could rain...I also wouldn’t take Shantung unless it is well ventilated. Sounds like a good trip. I have a few friends down there doing the retired expatriate thing.
Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q: I am heading to Costa Rica for a week of photo-taking and exploration.
Beautiful clean country. Lots of beautiful birds to photograph too. Fresh seafood everyday. Beautiful & friendly people, it's rare to see a local who is out of shape.

I have a few friends down there doing the retired expatriate thing
Me too. I've thought about it myself.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful clean country. Lots of beautiful birds to photograph too. Fresh seafood everyday. Beautiful & friendly people, it's rare to see a local who is out of shape.

Me too. I've thought about it myself.
I’m thinking about it right now.
If i didn’t have babies around i’d run away!
B
Ps: Strums: buy a hat there! Just make sure it’s a cool one not a touristy one..or twelve.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
What kind of weather are you expecting? Is there rain in the forecast? As a thought, maybe plan on buying a new hat while you’re down there. I wouldn’t take felt because it’s too warm and I wouldn’t take Shantung if it looks like it could rain...I also wouldn’t take Shantung unless it is well ventilated. Sounds like a good trip. I have a few friends down there doing the retired expatriate thing.
Brent

I decided to eschew fashion in favor of function. My travel packet said "a light hat with a wide brim and sunglasses are suggested for sun protection." Last year I bought this Stetson on sale for a measly $12. But I hated the way it looked on me, even though the fit was spot on.

Selfie.jpg
SidePin.jpg
Interior.jpg

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I have a few friends down there doing the retired expatriate thing.

Do people go down there with a planned window to come back? Do they liquidate all of their domestic assets before going? Just wondering what the endgame is?

I've been interested in Panama ever since reading David McCullough's book.

Can’t speak for everyone, but my friends went down there to stay. They admit they might return the the US if they need some sort of assisted living or specialized medical care but aside from short term visits they reside in Costa Rica. Ecuador is also popular as is Panama. Too exotic for my wife.

I decided to eschew fashion in favor of function...
Although I like the way all of my hats look on me (for the most part, anyway), if I'm going to spend a good amount of time outdoors "function" is my first priority when selecting a hat to wear. If you've seen any of the photos I've posted you know my complexion is what a friend describes as "fish belly white", so I need that extra sun protection.

...My travel packet said "a light hat with a wide brim and sunglasses are suggested for sun protection."...
Because of the way this is worded, and the way my brain works, I immediately envisioned something like this...

9DEF9Ov.jpg

...and thought, "Why would a hat need sunglasses?" :D

Do people go down there with a planned window to come back? Do they liquidate all of their domestic assets before going? Just wondering what the endgame is?

I've been interested in Panama ever since reading David McCullough's book.
My friends no longer reside in the US. They have not forfeited their US citizenship & plan to just buy a condo if they need to come back permanently for some reason. It is cheap, beautiful, & safe there & no one bothers you or is nosey into your background there. I’ve done a couple of jobs so have spent time there.

I do have 2 friends who are part timers there & they have a local
Whom they trust to manage their properties & affairs when they’re gone.

I know a couple who went to Costa Rica 25ish years ago and they said the prices have gone way up since then; far outpacing inflation. It’s still a relative bargain, but not as good as it was a few decades ago.

I currently work with a guy who is actively looking for a ranch in Argentina. Takes some stones to pull up stakes and make that kind of a move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters