Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
HWTF_nickfouquet25.jpg HWTF_nickfouquet25.jpg HWTF_nickfouquet14.jpg Anyone ever seen this comformitor before? My daughter spotted it (I'm not a fan of nick's) and sent the pix to me to ask what I knew about it. Never seen it before. Anyone have any clue as to where it might have come from and your thoughts on it. Thanks gang!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings fellow questioners:
Off the wall question but is there a thread for “First Hats” stories. For instance my first hat or the first hat i remember or Freudian stuff that got you goin with hats?
That kinda stuff. Cause i STILL see my old man’s grey felt pork pie “fishin hat” hangin on the wall when i couldn’t reach it.
Just a thought.
Be well. Bowen

Greetings fellow questioners:
Off the wall question but is there a thread for “First Hats” stories. For instance my first hat or the first hat i remember or Freudian stuff that got you goin with hats?
That kinda stuff. Cause i STILL see my old man’s grey felt pork pie “fishin hat” hangin on the wall when i couldn’t reach it.
Just a thought.
Be well. Bowen

Hey, Brother Bowen!

Check this thread...

Regards,
Charlie

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ah...muy bien Charlie. Looks like it could use a jump start.
Thanks
Be well. Bowen
Ps: in case i never said..your posts are life at it’s greatest. No one gets close to that grin etc. You still got some puppy!!
B

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Every facet of Optimo's operation is top notch. Tiffani is a gem and really knows her stuff. Their felts are sourced from wild furs and processed by FEPSA in Portugal. Other makers also source from FEPSA, but Optimo gets exclusive color runs. And their colors are gorgeous. I'm currently coveting Gunsmoke, Space, and their Silverbelly.

Now I just need a grand, lol.

The nuanced answer is that there are many talented hat makers producing hats that equal Optimo in quality, and depending on one's taste in hats, might be better suited for you. Optimo tends to favor a shorter, more tapered crown. They of course have the blocks to make taller, straighter hats (my Dillinger is blocked on a #52) but their default styling is a little modern for me.

Tim @ Alley Kat, Art @ VS, and Esther are all super talented. You might also take a peek at the Northwest Hats, Penman Hats, or if you've got time to wait, get in the queue with Bob @ Black Sheep Hatworks.
I only own Optimo hats (6) and a Stetson El Presidente.

I only like shorter, tapered hats. The taller, straight, and sometimes even reverse-tapered hats look... Cowboyish, is maybe the word? to my unpracticed eyes.

When I was a boy, I wanted a hat just like Eliot Ness' in "The Untouchables." To me, Optimo is it. And the quality, professionalism, punctuality, and dependability of Optimo is magnificent.

And besides, in Optimo there is Tiffani Bell...

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Those who have seen my recent acquisitions and read my posts know that I've taken to wearing paracord hatbands. They are interchangeable, and can be made in any color combination. Here's my first professional (I'm learning to make my own. My first attempt had me miss a weave or two :eek:).
View attachment 117410 View attachment 117411

Looks great, but I get the feeling that the weight of it would drag the hat down onto my ears.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Paracord is actually very light. After all, it was originally developed for use by the military for parachutes. Hence the name.

Yes, I realize that. I have used it to wrap steering wheels.

My observation was comparison-related. I had a hat that had a band of feathers on it, and feathers are about as light as it gets. But the hat it was on was lighter/easier to wear after I had removed that band and replaced it with a simple leather (shoe)lace-type 'band.' And neither is lighter than a grosgrain ribbon.

I do like it, though, and if it works for you, then I am envious, so enjoy it! :)

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I access The Lounge on my phone via TapTalk.
It’s easy to use and to post pictures, but I miss seeing information about other members posts and their Lounge “status” I used to see on my home PC.
(example: One of the regulars” or “One Too Many” or “I Have My Mail Forwarded Here.”)
Has that been done away with?
I often wondered what the post thresholds were for each designation.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It’s easy to use and to post pictures, but I miss seeing information about other members posts and their Lounge “status” I used to see on my home PC.
(example: One of the regulars” or “One Too Many” or “I Have My Mail Forwarded Here.”)
The signature line doesn’t show on my iPhone but it does on my iPad and MacBook Pro.

According to Nathan Flowers certain information has been "hidden" for mobile devices because it was making the pages too "crowded" on smaller screens. So if you want the full version of The Lounge, you'll have to view it on something that has a screen larger than a business card. :D

...I often wondered what the post thresholds were for each designation.
I've often wondered about that myself, especially since most forums I visit have their own form of members' "status" based on their post count.

1,00 is One too many”
At 2,000 posts you’ll be a call me a cab
At 3,000 it’s My mail is forwarded here
4,000 is I’ll lock up.

I think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR